Gov Planet Pricing

rickgrob

Guys, in search of a suitable platform to build on, I have considered a Fuso.... but hard to find the 4x4 FG in good shape. So I have also started looking at a LMTV (M1078) as a good starting point. I realize that there are trade offs.... either live with the low speed or invest in gearing... but that seems ok. This isn't a race, and I want to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. So that brings me to the question, when bidding on a M1078 what advice do you have... what is an ok price to pay (assuming it is running with everything basically working)? I know it depends on condition and what it is equipped with, but any advice appreciated... and perhaps a range of appropriate bidding.

Many thanks,
R

Ramdough

Adventurer
Guys, in search of a suitable platform to build on, I have considered a Fuso.... but hard to find the 4x4 FG in good shape. So I have also started looking at a LMTV (M1078) as a good starting point. I realize that there are trade offs.... either live with the low speed or invest in gearing... but that seems ok. This isn't a race, and I want to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. So that brings me to the question, when bidding on a M1078 what advice do you have... what is an ok price to pay (assuming it is running with everything basically working)? I know it depends on condition and what it is equipped with, but any advice appreciated... and perhaps a range of appropriate bidding.

Many thanks,
R

You should get on Steel Soldiers forum in the FMTV section. That will be your best resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramdough

Adventurer
FMTV

Might have to edit the link to get all of it.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Unless you're a Jedi Master with a multimeter and have a MS in Electrical Engineering I'd steer away from the FMTVs. Like Ramdough recommends (and I believe he has a LMTV so is biased for them) check out Steel Soldiers. I had pretty good luck with mine yet had to chase down a short in the tranny wire harness, replace the CTIS controller, have the fan clutch explode and take out the fan, clutch, radiator, belts, and more ($800 tow bill just to get it home), replace all the tires back when they were readily available through GovLiguidation (which they aren't now), and suffer through endless hiccups from the fuses and breakers. That was all fine because mine was simply a "toy" to use for car shows, parades, and other veteran type events. There is NO WAY IN THE WORLD that I would trust one of them, no matter the condition, with my family in the middle of no where. The $800 tow bill was after I broke down on an interstate. I can't imagine what it would have been if I was, say, in the middle of Big Bend or Yellowstone. Spend a little more upfront and get something that hasn't been abused by a bunch of 20 year olds that don't care about the price of fixing something when they break it (and that's speaking from experience after multiple years in the military).

Here's a pic of mine when it wasn't on the tow hook.

IMG_1642.JPG

rickgrob

Unless you're a Jedi Master with a multimeter and have a MS in Electrical Engineering I'd steer away from the FMTVs. Like Ramdough recommends (and I believe he has a LMTV so is biased for them) check out Steel Soldiers. I had pretty good luck with mine yet had to chase down a short in the tranny wire harness, replace the CTIS controller, have the fan clutch explode and take out the fan, clutch, radiator, belts, and more ($800 tow bill just to get it home), replace all the tires back when they were readily available through GovLiguidation (which they aren't now), and suffer through endless hiccups from the fuses and breakers. That was all fine because mine was simply a "toy" to use for car shows, parades, and other veteran type events. There is NO WAY IN THE WORLD that I would trust one of them, no matter the condition, with my family in the middle of no where. The $800 tow bill was after I broke down on an interstate. I can't imagine what it would have been if I was, say, in the middle of Big Bend or Yellowstone. Spend a little more upfront and get something that hasn't been abused by a bunch of 20 year olds that don't care about the price of fixing something when they break it (and that's speaking from experience after multiple years in the military).

View attachment 559818

Hmmmm. A very relevant comment. If nothing else (comfortable, fast, amenities, etc.) above all else a rig has to be reliable. Ironically, I am a Mechanical/Electrical Engineer, but that doesn't mean I would appreciate having to fix something constantly. I've had plenty of those types of vehicles in the past. The irony is back then I had time and no money, and now I have more money, but no time. Sigh.... I did see there are some places that will "recondition" (www.grigsbytrucks.com) these rigs for better reliability, but I know that doesn't come cheap. However, other than a Fuso, what else is a good candidate? I think the cab over is beneficial to keep total length reasonable and a commercial/military platform has the load carrying capability that you would have to go for a F550 to match.

rickgrob

I know nothing about LMTVs but someone just posted a clean looking Fuso 4x4 for sale here in the Classifieds section

I did see that earlier, and even replied to their Craigslist post and never heard back. Also, need to do a bit more research on the 2004 vs. other years for gearing, and wheelbase.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

View attachment 559818

I wonder how these are maintained by 18 year olds in the field. I’ve put many miles in these and have never had an issue.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I wonder how these are maintained by 18 year olds in the field. I’ve put many miles in these and have never had an issue.

Well you have 18 year old mechanics overseen by a 25 year old NCO. It's not so much the mechanics that are the issue but the lack of care from the drivers. They generally treat the own vehicles with much more care and respect.

One of the other issues with buying from GP is that these vehicles are sitting around being picked over for parts, first by the unit turning them in ("that one's going to DLA so go grab 'insert whatever part here' we need for that other truck") then it goes to a DLA lot where they may grab a part to make another truck start, then it goes to a GP lot where someone buying another truck may wander over and "light finger" something off of it. When I got my truck probably 50% of the fuses and breakers were in the wrong spots so needed sorted out.

Another thing with these trucks is so much is powered or switched by air and controlled by items with rubber flaps that tend to stick or tear. I had about 6 months of the fan not kicking on because of this so the truck would start to overheat and then I had the rubber inside one of the brake canisters tear while sitting in line for a parade so the brakes wouldn't unlock.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the truck. It was fun to drive, I could park in an normal parking spot at Whataburger, and I learned A LOT of mechanical things I never would have learned without it, but I would never trust it on a long trip or some place that might put my family at risk. When the military uses them they're traveling in packs so you always have support when they break. Not the same when you're on your own.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Hmmmm. A very relevant comment. If nothing else (comfortable, fast, amenities, etc.) above all else a rig has to be reliable. Ironically, I am a Mechanical/Electrical Engineer, but that doesn't mean I would appreciate having to fix something constantly. I've had plenty of those types of vehicles in the past. The irony is back then I had time and no money, and now I have more money, but no time. Sigh.... I did see there are some places that will "recondition" (www.grigsbytrucks.com) these rigs for better reliability, but I know that doesn't come cheap. However, other than a Fuso, what else is a good candidate? I think the cab over is beneficial to keep total length reasonable and a commercial/military platform has the load carrying capability that you would have to go for a F550 to match.

If you have more money than time, do not buy from GovPlanet...... you may buy a lemon or one that takes a lot of work. I would buy from a reputable source. Like a trusted reseller on Steel Soldiers. Ask around and they can help you find one. Get references and be careful, there is one in there notorious for ripping people off. If you have lots of money, buy from Accela or Grigsby.

If you only need a small camper, I would get a Unimog ...... you will get a more capable truck with way better MPG. I am traveling with a family so the Unimog is out...... and I plan more short trips, so I am more accepting of the adventures of a big truck.

A fuso is another good option for small, just not as capable as the Unimog.

FMTV/LMTV can both be very reliable or very broken. You want to ease into it and find out what you have before heavily modifying it. I know a guy that lives full time out of his LMTV and says his is extremely reliable, then there are horror stories. Used is always used.....some more than others.

rickgrob

One of the other issues with buying from GP is that these vehicles are sitting around being picked over for parts, first by the unit turning them in ("that one's going to DLA so go grab 'insert whatever part here' we need for that other truck") then it goes to a DLA lot where they may grab a part to make another truck start, then it goes to a GP lot where someone buying another truck may wander over and "light finger" something off of it. When I got my truck probably 50% of the fuses and breakers were in the wrong spots so needed sorted out.

I read something similar off of a vendors website (fmtvsales.com) and that makes a ton of sense. Their online inspection report might mention the major obvious points (Engine doesn't run) but I'm sure it misses a ton of serious issues that can cost both time AND money.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Where are you located?

I asked on Steel Soldiers for recommended sellers and I got recommendations as close as 3 hours away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior