GovPlanet 5 ton trucks

olly hondro

mad scientist
I agree, but what is the price? ....:ylsmoke::Wow1::Wow1::exclaim::violent-smiley-031::violent-smiley-031::violent-smiley-031:

Hi Chilli, hows the chevy running? I've made some mods to the Blazer.....just recently got a LMTV. maybe pull the Blazer behind to play in the rocks.more bolts.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Very nice looking truck Olly. Me like! Yes both my Chevy and my Yukon are running great thanks. Feel free to post any updates you have on my thread. Cheers, chilli..:cool:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
We love ours

Seth

Brutus%20solar-1_zpshi3nz6xq.jpg

Brutus%20Aspens-1_zpsnd33xgl7.jpg

M1079%20cinder%20lake%20-1_zpsshnpjzsg.jpg

Brutus%20rear%20end%20peaks%20Kande%20roof-1_zpsxrjum6uw.jpg

Brutus%20beside%20sunset%20crator-1_zpsbi4wyrxv.jpg

Brutus%20sunset%20pano-1_zpsluodwy28.jpg

M1079%20cinder%20lake%20-1_zps35ewutvl.jpg

Hey Seth, what is your vehicle called and can you tell me what they cost at an auction in good condition? Thanks, Chilli...:cool:

olly hondro

mad scientist
I just bought one. I was positively influenced by the youtube video "dirt every day LMTV" The sound of a purring CAT is my second favorite sound ;) All the the tech manuals are available in pdf on the SS website at no cost. Will keep you posted as I log miles on it.cat.jpgcab tilt.jpg

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I just bought one. I was positively influenced by the youtube video "dirt every day LMTV" The sound of a purring CAT is my second favorite sound ;) All the the tech manuals are available in pdf on the SS website at no cost. Will keep you posted as I log miles on it.View attachment 475518

Reach in and shake your fan to make sure it's not loose. Lots of issues when the old style fan clutch goes. It usually takes the radiator out with it (from personal experience). If possible I'd recommend switching to the new style clutch and fan now before the issue comes up.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The truck to get is that Oshkosh 1070 - the tractor they use to drive Abrams tanks around. Five hundred horse 8V92, Allison automatic, really good visibility from the cab.

And just THINK of all the beer you could carry around!

Lolz. The 8v92ta is a PITA to work with, and Allison sucks.

I farm out all of my 2 stroke DDC engine work now. I was the last generation of techs trained to service those. I wouldn't touch anything that old. That's the engine responsible for the '70-80's diesel tech boom.

olly hondro

mad scientist
Can you tell us how much you payed for that fine vehicle Olly? Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Yes, $15K + 6% sales tax. Less than a dollar per pound :) The fella I got it from paid at auction $7K + buyers premium + transportation. He is inspecting the truck bumper to bumper and repairing anything he finds that is not correct. He also is taking care of the End Use paperwork and getting the clear Arizona title. First thing he had to do was replace the missing turret cover. Then all new batteries. He is looking for anything bent, missing, or non stock, including wiring. It will be 100% functional and guaranteed. To me, its worth the $8K to have it turn key (if it had one) road ready. It will give me time to learn all the pneumatic/hydraulic/electrical stuff. A warranty on a 20+ year old truck is extraordinary. This is the 5th truck that I have purchased from Jack; he always honors his warranty.

Last edited:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
And I had mine (actually nicer - with AIR Conditioning, sorry Olly) in the classifieds here for $14k and couldn't get ANY interest in it. Sold it locally last week.

olly hondro

mad scientist
I have no remorse :)

Do you have a thread on the mechanics of the air conditioning?

I actually wasn't even looking for an FMTV/LMTV. I got the crazy idea of installing a CAT 3116 in the Blazer. So I started looking for a donor vehicle. Lets see...school bus...delivery van...Kodiak....Topkick....LMTV...hey, whats that!!! It already has 4WD and giant tires...what the hey? So I went to Jack's to ask about one. He said "You want 4x4 or 6x6 ?" The 4x4 called my name so I bought it on the spot. Impulse buy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles