Gramps 2.0 - Gen3 Montero Budget Build

Soupy

This is the start of my build thread for the 2001 Montero Limited I just picked up! 208,000 miles for $2200, gotta love socal prices. It drives smooth as hell and seems like it needs nothing major but since there's no maintenance history, I'll be doing the timing belt/water pump/etc. It beeps and the center diff light blinks whenever I put it in 4llc or 4hlc, so I ordered a 4wd solenoid from amazon based on advice from other threads. The sunroof didn't move at all so I tightened the 3 screws (2 were completely out), but now it only tilts up and down (and lopsided at that), no moving forward or back at all. I could not get it into learning mode, no matter how many times I tried the "turn the key on/off 5 times while closed switch". Also the open and tilt positions on the switch do nothing, only the closed position tilts the sunroof up and down. Anyone know what's up with that?

Anyway, this montero should be a nice change of pace from the lifted outback I came from. At least I'll never have to change another cv axle again...

Here's gramps 2.0:
car.jpg

Here's gramps 1.0:
IMG_20191204_092010.jpg

ChrisCosta416

@Soupy welcome. Check out the my writeups and files for Gen3 maintenance, suspension, and aftermarket accessories .

In regards to the Sunroof, mess around with the calibration mode again. Trying opening instead of closing while you cycle the key

Soupy

@Soupy welcome. Check out the my writeups and files for Gen3 maintenance, suspension, and aftermarket accessories .

In regards to the Sunroof, mess around with the calibration mode again. Trying opening instead of closing while you cycle the key

Thanks! That goose gear replacement flooring thing you have looks awesome, though far out of my budget haha. I'll try the sunroof again tomorrow and see what if that works.

Soupy

Did the gauge cluster resolder for the temperature gauge using this guide: http://www.pajero.guru/how-to-fix-the-faulty-temp-gauge-on-a-pajeroshogunmontero-nm-2001-1003/
I forgot to take pictures but it worked perfectly! For anyone nervous about it, it was incredibly easy. 6 screws to get the cluster out and then 5 screws to get to the resistor you need to solder. Then you just resolder both ends. The guide explains it perfectly with pictures all the way.

I also picked up these rubber floor mats from walmart for $25. The old cloth ones were basically disintegrating, plus these will be easier to clean. I still need to drill a hole in the drivers mat so the little hook can poke through.
IMG_20200628_210720.jpgIMG_20200628_210733.jpgmat.jpg

Soupy

I also further diagnosed the 4wd issues, using the 1-4 obd pin method. This video helped a lot:

Code 33, malfunctioning switches. Good news is I found a guy on the socal montero facebook group that will replace them for $200. OEM switches are about $35 each (5 of them), I bought them from PartSouq.com. Part numbers are MR580151, MR580152, MR580153, MR580154, MR580155. Also, you'll need 5 crush washers. Part number: MU000393.

Last edited:

Soupy

Still waiting for parts but did a short trip to Sequoia National Forest. I was pleasantly surprised with the mileage, 21 gallons got me 400 or so miles. My old lifted outback with the giant roof rack would be lucky to get 250 on 16 gallons.

IMG_20200629_181744.jpgIMG_20200630_113817.jpgIMG_20200629_172916.jpg

I'm planning on doing an oil change soon, what are you guys using?

ChrisCosta416

I use Rotella Gas 5W-30 or Mobile 1 5w-30. Both full syn.
Folks on here love the Rotella diesel variant as well

Soupy

I use Rotella Gas 5W-30 or Mobile 1 5w-30. Both full syn.
Folks on here love the Rotella diesel variant as well

Do you still do every 3000 miles with synthetic? They're supposed to have longer interval, right? I ended up going with Chevron 10w-40, since its been reaching >90f and is only gonna get hotter around here. Maybe next change I'll go for synthetic instead.

RyanY

Adventurer
Do you still do every 3000 miles with synthetic? They're supposed to have longer interval, right?

You can easily extend the change interval with synthetic oil - I typical go 6-7K miles with mine. Synthetic oil will increase your fuel mileage slightly as well as being more resistant to breaking down from heat.

Soupy

You can easily extend the change interval with synthetic oil - I typical go 6-7K miles with mine. Synthetic oil will increase your fuel mileage slightly as well as being more resistant to breaking down from heat.

Good to know, I'll definitely choose synthetic next time.

Soupy

Replacing some old vacuum hoses and ran across this little plastic connector. Anyone know what it is? Is it necessary or can I just replace it with a full length of hose?

Attachments

• 15936513375985355308497478759414.jpg
    15936513375985355308497478759414.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20

Soupy

Today I removed my tailgate panel to remove the old netting and install a little flip down table. Used a $12 cutting board from target and about $7 in hardware from Lowes.
I was looking for something a little longer for more space to work with, but this seems alright for now. I can always switch it out pretty easily now that the hinges and rings are in place.

IMG_20200702_193854.jpg

I am having trouble reattaching the panel to the tailgate though. The little white circular push pin type connectors wont attach to the panel. Anyone have any tips/ideas on how to get it back on.

IMG_20200702_203528.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz