"Grapes of Wrath" Excursion build

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
My '09 Ram 2500 Hemi proved too problematic to continue with, it was liquidated earlier this year. I recently picked up an '04 Excursion Eddie Bauer V10 dirt cheap. A friend of mine has a dealer license and this thing is coming back from the brink of an insurance auction. I'm honestly not sire of the title sratus as I haven't gotten it back yet. I don't really care as I plan to keep this thing.

I have always had a Suburban, I have been running an '84 K2500 6.2 diesel 'Burb for a long time. Almost a million miles long time. I used to be an automotive mechanic by trade and me and my friends can't ever really remember working on a Triton V10 other than an occasional spark plug hole repair on the early models.

Long story short, the Dodge was a failed (and expensive) attempt at a replacement for the Suburban. This is a low buck attempt to do the job right. If there's any interest I will keep track of the exact costs (something I was afraid to do with the Dodge). Here goes:

42A3BB25-3865-48CE-AEF1-C1BF2848A767.jpeg

As delivered. I wish I took more pics to detail exactly how bad it was. The interior was NASTY. The PO's had spit tobacco all over the console and the floor. The bottoms of the front fenders are hammered back (think hack NorCal mod), both bumpers are trashed, scratches all over, both mirrors destroyed, etc.

Someone had previously deleted the auto hubs and replaced them with factory plastic lockouts. One of these was frozen in the "locked" position. I found a set of new in box Superwinch huns for $50 so on they went...

F0ED9383-9312-4C89-8B8F-CBC04D6511FA.jpeg

The wheels and tires were a mismatch of steel and aluminum 16" and 17". One of the original aluminum 16's remained (pictured above). I was able to secure three more at a local tire store for $60/each. I had recently put a new set of load range E 285/75R16's on the old Suburban before the transmission gave out.
725C2C06-4158-4584-A0CA-4577ADBDCEB6.jpeg

That made it driveable. It still needs shocks, bump stops, sway bar end links, steering stabilizer, etc., but it's surprisingly solid. i've been getting a (corrected) 12 mpg average.

Most of the interior cleaned up but I had to trash the rear carpet. I bought some carpet at Lowe's to replace it with.

398F447C-2EE0-451F-8A72-92A232C8D996.jpeg

I made a maiden voyage to the beach this weekend and all was well. Money well spent so far...

EE10D8BD-2DB8-49DA-A232-EA5EF065B609.jpeg

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I used to be an automotive mechanic by trade and me and my friends can't ever really remember working on a Triton V10 other than an occasional spark plug hole repair on the early models.

It is a very solid motor. Used on a ton of applications: Super Duty trucks, vans/buses/shuttles.

.....on the old Suburban before the transmission gave out.

A transmission going out on a Suburban?!?? You don’t say.......

Looks like a great platform. I’ve always wanted an Excursion. I have it’s baby brother: the Expedition. I have basically the same motor- minus 2 cylinders. But I do have the same transmission.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
486596EB-D4FB-480F-87F4-4C0A3FA0500B.jpeg

I broke in the new carpet today. Got a load of Red Oak cooking wood. The old man I bought the wood from has 110 acres of bottom land and said I was welcome to hog hunt on it. Hoping to work something out after New Years, I go back to work on the 6th...

Last edited:

JSwanson

Observer
Following along as I too just picked up a 02 limited that has been deprived for a long time. Got it super cheap (imo) and got it running /stopping driving well now. Mine has a lot of rust and needs a whole suspension rebuild, but will be my dd over my stinky 7.3 f250. Good luck on the build and keep us posted.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I like the Ford V10, great motors, lots of power but sip a lot of gas when puling over 10,000lbs truck and trailer. Can't wait to see what you do with it. I say 40s, gears and lot of trips.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
781A26A3-119A-40A0-9CE4-DCCBE15396AA.jpeg

The left side dutch door wasn't working, I got some of these from ebay for $5. Both ends of the cable were bad. It was kind of a pain to do, I ended up messing up the first end figuring out how to make it work. Good thing there were 4 in the pack!

I also got a set of lift struts for the lift gate, $10.85 on ebay. Best mod yet, having the back doors open properly!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Yesterday afternoon I took apart the lift gate to address the non-functional lock mechanism. Turns out there was so much dust and dirt in there that the "lock" lever on the handle was completely frozen. I had to take the handle mechanism out of the door, wash it out, scrub it, spray brake cleaner in it and lubricate it. I finally got the mechanism moving smoothly and reassembled it. I was also able to disassemble and clean the power lock actuator. After reassembly it all works!

Today, I picked up a matching spare wheel and tire in town, $60 and $187 respectively. I was missing some of the hardware to hold the spare in, I picked up a piece of fence hardware and a wing nut at Tractor Supply. I had to drill one hole to mount it all up.

895F1E93-EBD7-461F-BC1F-0B41353F6AAB.jpeg

0D42F3EB-0575-44C7-A080-2C262051EB58.jpeg

I don't know exactly what the factory setup looked like but this will work for now!

Looking at the lift gate I'm wondering if I'm missing a piece of weatherstripping.

3A624310-5BC7-4C18-9428-523A0918DAE9.jpeg

Any Ideas?

Boz

Observer
I have to do the same on mine. I can lock it with the key but the power actuator doesn't work. Im hoping that cleaning it like you did will solve the problem.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I have to do the same on mine. I can lock it with the key but the power actuator doesn't work. Im hoping that cleaning it like you did will solve the problem.

I also rotated the shaft of the motor inside the actuator 180°. It runs back and forth in the same position so maybe I put it in a position where it has less wear or something, like how sometimes turning a stuck electric motor a little will get it going again. YMMV!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I've been working on the vibration issue for the past few days. The u-joint at the rear end was wasted. The yoke was damaged also. $69 for a yoke overnight from the local Ford place and maybe $26 for a Spice u-joint. Big improvement!

0C173AFF-2402-4E27-A177-DCA35664A65A.jpeg

I think I have all the power points working except the one behind the little door in the dash. I found that the socket itself is damaged. I'll have to source a replacement...

E4022489-5674-4730-8578-DBC9CC85DDE3.jpeg

I scored a used Warn semi-hidden winch mount for $275 so when that arrives I'll start working on the roached front bumper. I plan to get the winch mount itself mounted and then see if I can trim off the bent portions of my existing bumper to clear it for now.

Eddie Bauer painted bumpers with the tan plastic are really hard to find and expensive when you do. There are two damaged ones on car-part.com for $7-900+freight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke