Great starting point for a chuck box: the D-Flite Tack Box

I came across this D-Flite Tack Box today.

All aluminum construction, rivited together (ie. easy to modify for your needs), comes in two sizes with a few drawer options for each size. I was going to convert a Pelican-like hard case to transport my kitchen goods (sans stove), but this looks to be a considerably better starting point. And the price is a heck of a lot more accessible than some other aluminum chuck boxes on the market.

At 16" long, 11" wide, and 16" tall, it should be large enough to hold everything I need, and not be excessive in size. And since it's aluminum, it'll be light and should last forever.

I ordered this basic (16"-wide, 1-drawer) model earlier today. I intend to use the drawer for basic utensils, and the top tray for larger kitchen hardware. The round bar across the top of the lid can be used to hang towels. I anticipate using some aluminum angle iron and 1/4" ply to make dividers, and possibly other modifications.

Anyone interested in this should pick it up now, before the manufacturer realizes that they can sell these like hotcakes at double the price by including the word "overland" in the title.

Will post photos once I get it!

Last edited:
I believe this is the same company that manufactured veterinarian medicine boxes years ago. big, square, top half opened like a tackle box with trays and big stuff went in the lower section. light, well made, and fairly priced for the quality. Garrett-Wade provided the one I had.

will be interesting to see how this project evolves.

And here it is.

I'm extatic about this product. Arrived very well packed with zero damage. Great build quality, literally zero problems. Fantastic mirror finish (going to get scratched like mad, though). Solid, quality latches and handle. Nicely done rivets - easy to remove/modify as needed. Fits everything we need without a breaking a sweat. Even closes with a cutting board left in place.

I really do like that set up, great find. What is the internal width at the bottom, like the first 5". Still wondering if a 16" partner stove would fit.

The width of the opening is 388mm. The actual interior width is a tad wider, roughly 398mm. Depth is 273mm.

If the 16" stove is actually 16" wide, it will not fit.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Those are beautiful but have to be noisy as hell going down a trail. Would need to wrap / bundle utensils, use some tool box drawer liner material, etc.

The topmost item looks a lot like an old milsurp field desk. Used to see those used for chuck boxes, they were an easy solution and their plywood construction really cut down on the noise.
The 'normal' field desk is pretty large. The 'officer variant' was a lot more compact but still useful as a chuck box. Officer's -

Noise/rattling is not something I had considered (or encountered) since my gear sits in the truck's bed. I suppose there's potential for it, but I wouldn't worry too much. The box comes with rubber trim around the perimeter of the top section (see photos), and similar trims can be added wherever necessary.

I got to use the box for three days of camping over this past weekend, and am happy to say it worked great. Very happy with the purchase so far.

Very nice find! I wish that 1000 series standard was deep enough for my partner. At only 11.25" it's not going to fit.

What's your take on water/dust ingress? It would be in the back of my truck as well (no topper).