GRMS radio/antenna help

txflyyaker

Observer
I want to install a Midland MXT275 grms radio and a Midland MXTA25 ghost antenna on my vehicle. I found a 3rd brake light mount offered by BulletProofDiesel #90201152. It has an NMO connection for the antenna, 15' of cable and a PL259 connection for the radio. The radio has a SO239 antenna connection. Is there an adapter for the antenna connections? Is the 15' of cable to short for proper operation? please help me figure this out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 27

dreadlocks

Those are the same connections bro, one is Male the other is female.. all you need to do is join em together.

UHF_Male_-_Female.GIF

dreadlocks

sure, connectors induce more loss than that amount of wiring, so as long as its not too short it should be okay.. I'd think that should be plenty long enough to get from the back of a crew cab to the front drivers area, if you go under the headliner even less.. more importantly what kinda coax is it?

Typically I cut the feedline to length and solder a new connection onto it to minimize losses, but its not really necessary.. If you don't do it right you could easily make it worse.

Last edited:

Billoftt

I thought about it but just cant do it

Literally millions of police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, forestry vehicles, work trucks, dump trucks, DOT trucks, etc... have been doing it for several decades with no issues at all.

I have two in my roof.

If you feel a bit iffy about it, I bet a pro shop that does those pro vehicles can do it for you with a warranty and with better cable such as RG8X and still be cheaper than that mount.

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I used to be in that camp too, but will be drilling a hole in the roof of my 2018 F350 in the coming months. The stake pocket mounts just don't cut it, and I'm running out of room for antennas. I have CB and GMRS already, and will be adding 2m/70cm after I pass my test on Saturday. If I'm going to mount an antenna up that high, I want to make sure to get the full benefit of a 360* ground plane.

dreadlocks

I do 2m/70cm and GMRS off one antenna.. you dont need to add one, just mars/cap mod your dual bander and get a nice wideband antenna for it like the
Comet CA-2x4SRNMO

Billoftt

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t it Dread, Dave and myself trying to convince you to do that?

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles