Guidance needed: ZJ or GMT360? (Jeep vs. GM)

GrantC

Observer
I have a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) with 165k on the odometer. It's time to replace the rear end (the infamous Dana 35 has gone bad, which I'm replacing with a 44a), but the vehicle also has a litany of other typically Jeep problems: electrical gremlins, drivers window keeps falling off the track, leaking transmission, etc. It's a Jeep, and I understand the hazards of owning one, but it's getting to be annoying. I may not be "Jeep people".

I'm facing a decision: do I keep the ZJ (which I do like), and spend the money to fix the existing problems, or do I replace it with something more reliable which I wouldn't need to work on as much?

The option I'm considering is a GMT360 platform vehicle, either a 2002-2008 GMC Envoy or a Chevy TrailBlazer. Were I to go that route, I would get the I6 engine (I love the ease of maintenance on a straight-six.)

My use: I'm not a hard off-roader, and I don't drive a lot (about 7-8k miles/year.) I use the vehicle to get around in the sometimes deep and unplowed snow, explore old logging roads, travel to abandoned mining camps/ghost towns, and occasionally pull a utility trailer loaded to perhaps 1500 lbs. Nothing extreme, I just need a very reliable vehicle to get me out of tight spots in the back country. Long-term reliability is the most important criteria. I'm mechanically adept (have rebuilt engines), but it's not something I look forward to doing and would rather do as little of it as possible.

What's the collective wisdom say? Stick with the Jeep or replace it?

Stick with the Jeep and fix the few quirks or go with something other than a Trailblazer/Envoy as they have even less aftermarket support than your Jeep. Besides that, Trailblazers have some quirks of their own, most expensive, that you would end up fixing anyhow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

GrantC

Observer
Stick with the Jeep and fix the few quirks or go with something other than a Trailblazer/Envoy as they have even less aftermarket support than your Jeep. Besides that, Trailblazers have some quirks of their own, most expensive, that you would end up fixing anyhow.

What expensive quirks do they have?

(Aftermarket support is of no importance to me, as I rarely modify vehicles. I've found that with a good set of tires, a stock vehicle completely fits my needs. Now, if the GMT360 models aren't as capable in some way as my GC, and it takes aftermarket parts to bring them to parity with the Jeep, then that's something which would sway my decision and which I'd like to know.)

Smileyshaun

Observer
Anything you buy used is going to end up having quirks and maintenance items if you already have the Jeep and like the Jeep if the more worth it to fix what you've already got and are used to. The window track has an easy fix it comes all is One Piece. I miss mine it was the nicest riding rig on and off the road I have ever owned ( thanks to the RE super flex kit ) but needed a larger vehicle that could tow more so it had to go

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
IIRC the Trailblazer was discontinued after the 2009 model so the "youngest" example is going to be approaching 10 years old at this point. If reliability is what you seek that may be something to factor in although I think 21 years old is getting a bit long in the tooth for a vehicle that you need to be reliable.

Simons

Adventurer
Ground clearance is an issue with Envoy/TBlazer platform. Very low slung frame. Also not a fan of the front axle running through the engine oil pan. IFS vs. SFA age old argument. As far as the Dana turdyfive goes, it’s more than reliable enough to stand up to a 31” tire. I ran one open with super swamper marrow SS 34”x9.5R15” for just shy of a decade, broke an axle only after I Lincoln locked it... very soon after... lol. That said if you’ve already got a correctly geared D44 to sling under there you’re off to the races. I’m guessing you have a 5.2 Magnum powered ZJ if you’re looking at the TB’s inline six as a plus? The Jeep 4.0l is very reliable and a much easier engine to service in comparison.
$0.02

Last edited:
I was going to buy one as well, but did a little research first. I found some issues that plague too many these vehicles before they hit the 100k mark. These eemed to be far too common for me and my wallet, let alone my patience to take chance or a leap of faith.

Fuel gauges that quit, engine, transmission and transfer cases that give up the ghost way too early and TPM sensors went bad often and were costly to repair - all before 100k.

There were other issues too, but those were common in any used car IMO, and I did not look at them as a deal breaker, and as such do not recall them anymore.

There is/was an online forum too, that I found back then that had some good info as well.

If you end up getting one, buy an extended warranty, as the moat of those repairs above will exceed the cost of that warranty.

Last edited:

GrantC

Observer
Ground clearance is an issue with Envoy/TBlazer platform. Very low slung frame. Also not a fan of the front axle running through the engine oil pan.

That's going to be an issue with me, then; the ground clearance on my ZJ really helps in deep snow and other scenarios. This is probably the biggest reason to hang onto the Jeep.

I’m guessing you have a 5.2 Magnum powered ZJ if you’re looking at the TB’s inline six as a plus? The Jeep 4.0l is very reliable and a much easier engine to service in comparison.

No, I have the 4.0l, which is why I'd want to stay with an inline six. Love the ease of service. Are you saying the Jeep motor is easier to service than the equivalent 4.2l GM six?

GrantC

Observer
Anything you buy used is going to end up having quirks and maintenance items if you already have the Jeep and like the Jeep if the more worth it to fix what you've already got and are used to. The window track has an easy fix it comes all is One Piece. I miss mine it was the nicest riding rig on and off the road I have ever owned ( thanks to the RE super flex kit ) but needed a larger vehicle that could tow more so it had to go

This is the direction I'm leaning. I like the Grand Cherokee, but have grown a little tired of dealing with "Jeep issues" — and I'm a little susceptible to "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome!

Then again, if I took the money I'd spend on buying another vehicle and put it into the Jeep, I could refurbish the whole thing to excellent condition!

BAM298

I have an 06 97x, which is basically a dressed up trailblazer. I agree it has less ground clearance than most jeeps, also being awd isn't optimal if you get stuck like 4lo on a jeep, but I've been fine with mine so far. I got the 4.2 and it's a beast, no complaints with it whatsoever. Much cheaper than a compable JGC from what I found when shopping. For what you do I'm sure it'll be fine. Here's mine...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
XJ, or put a built up 44 in the ZJ. Xterra, 4runner, Pathfinder, anything but a Envoy. LOLz.

If XJ's still exist in OH, they have to be abundant in the drier states still.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
Get a GMT800 Tahoe with the G80 rear locker.

Cheap, reliable, plenty of power. A nice step up from a ZJ. I had two XJs and can't go back to something that small, even though a full-size is still really big to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne