GW build up

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I have started the buildup on my '86 full size grand wagoneer. So far, i'm in the middle of swapping out the front axle for a springover unit for clearance and lifting the rear to match. The new axles are wider than stock, so that will add to stability.

I have the 6ft conferr roof rack that I am in the middle of getting rebuilt to include a custom fold out awning. We installed new Bestop seats up front, built a custom console to house electronics and cupholders for the front and the rear occupants. New Cd player, in dash DVD with a drop down screen from the ceiling (very important for long kids with little ones).

As soon as the lift process is done, I have new bumpers on the drawing board with a rear swingaway.

Lots of work with an older rig, but I prefer the full size jeeps.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
oldcj5guy said:

... but I prefer the full size jeeps.
You picked an odd screen name:beer:

What front axle are you using? I put a waggy front axle spring over in my YJ, the high steer stuff is an expensive pain in the neck. Do you have any pictures?

mightymike

Adventurer
Very cool! I just picked up an '86 GW a few months ago and hope to "restore" it bit by bit.

DSCN0520.jpg

So far all I've done (besides getting it running) was to put on a 4" lift and 32" MT tires, and a set of Hella driving lights. I'd like to get it in good enough shape to take on a few short range (5-6 hour) trips. I'd really like to see some pics of your rig for inspiration.

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
Our rigs are kind of the same color. I'll be glad when the temps hold hot enough to soften up the woodgrain so I can rip it off.

I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend. It doesn't look like much at the moment sitting on jackstands with the axle laying under the springs. I'm hoping to get it bolted the rest of the way together tomorrow.

At the moment I am using a chevy 10 bolt in the front and a matched 44 in the rear. I have a 3/4 ton 8 lug dana 44 for the front and a corp 14 for the rear, but they are both on stands until I finish going through them and get the lockers in them. I was going to throw the axles I am putting in it at the moment under my wife's wag, but I got impatient to get this thing in the air so I could work on some other things associated with the underside.

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
mighty mike,
You might look at putting in either an HEI distributor or doing the TFI upgrade. Either does wonders for driveability

mightymike

Adventurer
Thanks-Good luck with removing the wood panel stickers. I've tried a pressure washer and a hot water pressure washer, to no avail. It's coming off in 1" square pieces. Anyone with any other ideas, I'm game.....

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I've always been partial to the 'ol GW's. My grandfather had one for a longtime that he only used to drive into our family's "deer camp" about 6 hours north. He'd drop the battery into it, put a little gas in the carb and it would fire up year after year. Always amazed me. They just seem to go and go forever.

Super Doody

Explorer
mightymike said:
Thanks-Good luck with removing the wood panel stickers. I've tried a pressure washer and a hot water pressure washer, to no avail. It's coming off in 1" square pieces. Anyone with any other ideas, I'm game.....

sand blasting or chemical stripper... because you going repaint it anyways right?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
mightymike said:

I use a heat gun to peel off dealer/maker propoganda, it might work on your fake wood grain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles