GX470 Buyers guide - What should I look for, avoid, etc.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Hello overlanders,

I'm in the market for a new vehicle, and the GX470 is currently on the top of my list.

I know it's not the most common, but I've read a few good build threads:
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14731

and I think it's a great fit for my family.

I turn to you guys for purchasing advice.

KDSS vs No KDSS?
Acceptable Mileage range? <100,000? I've seen some 2UZ-FE engines with 200K+ Is that common in a GX?
Any specific areas of concern with these vehicles? Common issues?

My plans for the vehicle are:
~33" tires - so a modest lift, would prefer suspension lift over body, options?
Winch Mount bumper - I've seen the ARB, what other options are there short of custom? Anyone have custom? (besides Trailex, that bumper is not my taste)
Rear Bumper replacement with receiver
Sliders/rocker guards
Roof Rack, for overflow as needed: Family consists of 2 adults, 1 child, and 2 dogs.

No plans for major crawling, just want a reliable family camping vehicle, with occasional technical overlanding. (Elephant Hill for example)

There are several GXs listed locally, ranging from 2003s with 150K miles ($13,000), to 2009s with 20K miles ($40,000). So a wide range of vehicles to start with.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Richie

TexGX

Explorer
Richie,

Check out my build tread (link in sig) and this one:

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14731

It should answer most of your questions. You will have a hard time finding one with KDSS. If it has the super dark wood, then it should have KDSS. I love my KDSS and would recommend it. I have 119,000 on my rig with no major issues. Some of the 2003s and 2004s had the clunk. There is a fix for it. Most were fixed under waranty. I see no reason to shy away from a well maintained GX with a little over 100,000. If this and the links does not answer your guestions let me know.

TexGX

Grover

Great vehicles, no major mechanical problems would be expected for a 100K + truck. Some things to think about.

03-04 - some 05's check the dash, Lexus had problems with the dash cover cracking, cracks develop over the glove box running around the airbag and towards the passenger side vent. Cosmetic but could be a problem for some. I had mine replaced by Lexus at 80K, with enough whining they paid for the parts I paid the $600 labor bill. They still took care of me for a car out of warranty.

03 mostly, rear clunk during braking, TSB to replace rear drive shaft. Many vehicles had this problem and most were discovered and repaired under the original warranty.

KDSS - yes if you can find it. Introduced in 2004 but very hard to find in pre 05"s. Available as a stand alone option but almost always packaged with the sport package. When shopping the world wide web the sport package GX has with smoked front and rear light bezels, and dark graphite finish on the 17-inch alloy wheels and roof rack. Inside, dark graphite center console and instrument panel trim complements the Black Bird's Eye Maple wood trim.

Finally 2005+ GX recieved a power increase and yeild better fuel economy with variable valve timing with intelligence (VVT-i) system and an electronic throttle control system with intelligence (ETCS-i) has increased output from 235 horsepower to 270. Torque rises by 10 lb-ft. to 330 lb-ft.

Great vehicles, I owed a 03 with 255/75/17 MT's on it and was able to go anywhere I wanted in the Colorado mountains, including Black Bear pass with no other modifications.

Food for thought, good luck with your search. Read the builds, a handful of brave souls are doing some pretty awesome mods with these GX's.

Just my 2 cents.

DanKunz

Adventurer
Believe it or not, my brother and I both got really sweet GX470s by simply finding one owned by a very strict owner with full dealer records. Lexus is high enough end that this is not uncommon. I had a complete history, a very clean truck, and none of the typical tell tale signs (leaks, small details, etc.).

The complete history was awesome if you can get it. Found out I had a completely new radiator due to a leak and multiple other expensive wear items replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior