GX470: KDSS or not?

kmroxo

Observer
I'm thinking about picking up a GX470 in a year or so. Modifications would be slow and likely consist of a mild lift with airbag replacement, 32-33" tires, rockers, skids and possibly winch with bumper in the future. As I have been reading the KDSS gives better articulation off road with better stability on road as well. The trade off for expedition purposes is that skids and rockers are not available bolt on with KDSS and require more expensive customization. Going with a non-KDSS truck lets you use some bolt on skids and rockers.

KDSS also seems to be a little harder to find from my searches. How much more does armor cost when going with the customized route needed?

TexGX

Explorer
It is almost impossible to find a GX with KDSS. I have been looking for a nice 2006-2009 and can't find a nice GX period. The only ones I find have high mileage. I do not like the dark interior of the sport model(KDSS after 2004). They are amazing trucks.

TexGX

kmroxo

Observer
Yeah I started searching and no one seems to list KDSS. I wonder if so many just don't even know if they have it or not. Looking at prices they are barely less than what I could sell my Nissan Titan for, which only has 35k miles and I already out a Leer cap on it too. I got it for towing, but that main need will expire soon. At least the higher capacity will. But I'm starting to lean towards just keeping my Titan Crew Cab and build it up some it is only 6 inches wider than a GX and 3 inches wider than a 100 series Land Cruiser. About 3 feet and 2 feet longer than those though. But tons of power and plenty of room for gear and dogs.

JLee

Adventurer
It is almost impossible to find a GX with KDSS. I have been looking for a nice 2006-2009 and can't find a nice GX period. The only ones I find have high mileage. I do not like the dark interior of the sport model(KDSS after 2004). They are amazing trucks.

TexGX

I love the Sport interior. It looks far better in person than it does in photos, IMO. I flew to Albuquerque to get mine.

For sliders, you just need to cut / modify one bracket on the driver's side (and do some minor tweaking of the KDSS lines). Adventure Driven is running MetalTech's sliders on their rig, and I ordered a set today.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
There are skids that fit KDSS models. I don't remember the brands off hand but I know they're out there. Like JLee said, modifying sliders to accommodate kdss isn't too bad.

I'd say the hassle or extra cost is worth having kdss. Right now, our 08 GX470 is my wifes daily driver and the on road handling is amazing. Cornering with kdss is excellent - it's a blast to take an SUV through corners that fast with that much confidence.

I can't comment for off pavement...yet. My 80 handles all dirt duty until I upgrade the GX's suspension.

So you have a year to find one with kdss :sombrero: And no, almost all sellers won't know if it has kdss. The sport models (black and tan interior with black wood grain steering wheel), like mine have it. To be sure, have them turn the key and the dash should have a kdss light momentary illuminate. Or look for the huge swaybar.

sdmca

If you're in the market for an '04 fire me a message, we could probably work something out ;)

99superduty

I've got an 06 with KDSS. Not only does the interior look better but so is the ride on and off road. Unfortunately, I may have to sell her soon.......

sethro80

Adventurer
We love our GX with KDSS, if we ever sell ours we will be replacing it with a new GX also with KDSS, We had no idea we would love the truck so much. It was a pretty nice surprise. No regrets.

Seth

sdmca

TexGX

TexGX -

I'm enjoying the '04 GX but toying with the idea of another build, so if you find yourself missing your old rig do let me know :)

Question Regarding KDSS and VIN #'s:

If you run the VIN and the suspension comes back (front an rear) "Kinetic Dynamic," isn't the vehicle KDSS equipped? If so, this '08 with 88k on it looks like a reasonable private sale.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5193689427.html
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/vindecoder.php?vin=JTJBT20X480170234

If anyone out of state would like someone to go look at a GX let me know and I'll see what I can do...

JLee

Adventurer
TexGX -

I'm enjoying the '04 GX but toying with the idea of another build, so if you find yourself missing your old rig do let me know :)

Question Regarding KDSS and VIN #'s:

If you run the VIN and the suspension comes back (front an rear) "Kinetic Dynamic," isn't the vehicle KDSS equipped? If so, this '08 with 88k on it looks like a reasonable private sale.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5193689427.html
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/vindecoder.php?vin=JTJBT20X480170234

If anyone out of state would like someone to go look at a GX let me know and I'll see what I can do...

Interesting - I didn't know about the decoder. I ran my truck and it lists KDSS (which is correct), then ran JTJBT20XX40064459 from a Craigslist ad and it came back without showing KDSS, so that might be accurate.

TexGX

Explorer
sdmca,

I do miss it sometimes for sure. I am thinking of getting another to replace the RX, but it would need to be unmodified low mileage one for the wife. I am guessing if you posted it, you would have not problem selling it.

TexGX

sdmca

sdmca,

I do miss it sometimes for sure. I am thinking of getting another to replace the RX, but it would need to be unmodified low mileage one for the wife. I am guessing if you posted it, you would have not problem selling it.

TexGX

Gotcha. I did see a couple of nice looking ones on Craigslist (Phoenix) recently - not sure of the mileage range you're hoping to find, but there are a couple of nice ones out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior