GX470 Roof Racks -- Frontrunner vs K9 vs Rhinorack

bap5340

Can folks who use either the Frontrunner Slimline II or Eezi-Awn K9 or Rhino-rack Pioneer comment on your experiences. I'm interested in their pros and cons, noise, and accessories. I really like the K9's low profile and solid construction. It appears that Frontrunner is well made, and has a broader array of accessories. Has anyone used Frontrunner accessories on their K9 Rack? Photos would be great if possible.

I'm wanting to put an Alu-Cab Shaddow awning on the rack (Driver Side). OK4WD sells brackets for both Rhino-rack and Frontrunner. Bomber Products also has a mount, but it is more directly useable on the Frontrunner or with load bars.

All three of these options have their own merits. If you have personal experience with multiple brands of rack, I'd really like to get your thoughts in comparison as well.

ChrisCosta416

I have a Front Runner Rack on my 2003 Montero, had it for a few days but I am surprised about the lack of wind noise. It is amazing!

sn_85

Observer
I have a K9 on my 4Runner and although I like it I probably would have preferred a Rhino. Much more accessories available for it. I basically got the K9 since I live in SLC and Equipt installed it for me for free since I got it from them. My few complaints with the K9 are the lack of accessories & mounts, finish and the milled holes. The finish on the Rhino is better and the milled holes on the K9 just need to be a bit larger. Fitting an M8 nut in there requires some finagling.

Last edited:

rickc

Adventurer
I have a big Pioneer platform over my canopy; my issue was versatility; kayaks, RTT, ??? not all at the same time. The Rhino accessories are ridiculously expensive but a quick trip to the local fasteners store and some ingenuity is all that's need to make things work. I strongly recommend the thing for what I bought it for but it's really important to pay attention to load ratings; my system is crazy-overkill, an ARE CX HD top with two load bars rated for 550lbs dynamic. A pair of generic (Rhino/Thule/Yakima) load bars are generally rated for around 150lb dynamic, on-pavement. My 76" x 49" platform weighs 53lb; added to a conventional pair of bars leaves only 97lb dynamic, on-pavement left for gear; maybe 75lb off road. Not much. This is a grossly over-looked subject.

rickc

Adventurer
I have a big Pioneer platform over my canopy; my issue was versatility; kayaks, RTT, ??? not all at the same time. The Rhino accessories are ridiculously expensive but a quick trip to the local fasteners store and some ingenuity is all that's need to make things work. I strongly recommend the thing for what I bought it for but it's really important to pay attention to load ratings; my system is crazy-overkill, an ARE CX HD top with two load bars rated for 550lbs dynamic. A pair of generic (Rhino/Thule/Yakima) load bars are generally rated for around 150lb dynamic, on-pavement. My 76" x 49" platform weighs 53lb; added to a conventional pair of bars leaves only 97lb dynamic, on-pavement left for gear; maybe 75lb off road. Not much. This is a grossly over-looked subject.

The good news for the GX470 is that the back-bone style of mounting distributes the weight really well and the Front Runner rack is good for 660lbs; this may exceed the Lexus roof load rating!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior