GXV Adventure Truck; how many here?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looking at the LED pattern and the mounts I'm pretty sure they are the Chinese ones. It made me wonder if those ones were a round beam, making it okay to mount rotated 90 degrees. Could be wrong!

GXV had been using ARB on the bumpers on the larger trucks, I went with Vision X Light Cannons on our bumper and Vision X light bar on the roof rack...

I'll be....I always expected they were genuine ARB units, but until now didn't have a close up view to see that there are no ARB logos at the bottom, no writing on the clear cover, and the clarity of the ARB's LED's are much crisper. I'd be aghast if GXV was using cheap Chinese lights on a rig like this.
Greg, are you saying that these on the AT are actually ARB units, but perhaps a re-painted red bezel?
I have a set of the big ARB AR32's on one of my rigs and they light up well, although I much prefer the kelvin rating and throw of my Rigid Industries 50" E1 bar; ARB's too high K, too purply...the Rigid is ~5000K or so and excellent bright white IMHO.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'll chime in and say that the knock offs may actually be better than the real ARB's

ARB is (WAS) known for top notch quality and has been for a long time.

I've used their fridges and old man emu suspension on 6 different rigs in the last 15 years.

HOWEVER... In the last couple years that all drastically changed...

It started with my Bullbar for my last Tundra (2014). It arrived in multiple boxes. Boxes either said made in Thailand of Made in Taiwan. I didn't see anything that said made in Australia, like they used to be.

The fit, finish, and quality was that of a high school kid learning to weld and fabricate with a hang over. I could go on for awhile, but the gripes have been made clear elsewhere on the webs.

I dont expect much from their lights, but based on the price and specs on paper, i'd imagine much better quality could be found elsewhere.

I live 20 mins from Baja Designs and their build quality and light color/output is my go to and theyre all ill use.

Lights are a personal thing, everyone has different eyes and likes. Folks rave about amber, personally, amber lighting gives me headaches. Everyone is different.

But yeah... ARB vs Chinese isnt even an argument now. They are probably made in China like the bumper of my Tundra was

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
I'll be....I always expected they were genuine ARB units, but until now didn't have a close up view to see that there are no ARB logos at the bottom, no writing on the clear cover, and the clarity of the ARB's LED's are much crisper. I'd be aghast if GXV was using cheap Chinese lights on a rig like this.
Greg, are you saying that these on the AT are actually ARB units, but perhaps a re-painted red bezel?
I have a set of the big ARB AR32's on one of my rigs and they light up well, although I much prefer the kelvin rating and throw of my Rigid Industries 50" E1 bar.

I don’t know about these on the AT trucks. GXV has used genuine ARB on the bumper on the Kenworth Patagonia’s but I went with Vision X on ours.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
But yeah... ARB vs Chinese isnt even an argument now. They are probably made in China like the bumper of my Tundra was
You really need to take a look at the ARB Intensity V2 lights, they are some of the best made, best performing lights I've come across. And yes, they are designed in Australia, manufactured in the USA.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
You really need to take a look at the ARB Intensity V2 lights, they are some of the best made, best performing lights I've come across. And yes, they are designed in Australia, manufactured in the USA.

I have. A good friend has them.

Have you seen and inspected a Baja Designs LP9 in person?

We did a side by side comparison with those and my Baja Designs LPs out in Death Valley

The fit and finish, and mounting bracket on the LP9 was a bit more robust and durable compared to the ARB V2.

Light output, throw, and pattern were virtually identical on the 2. But the LP9 had a much softer color which i personally prefer, but that's a personal taste thing.

The one thing that i felt was superior on the ARB over the LP9 was their harness. BD has always had top notch lights with subpar harnesses. ARB clearly won on this.

Glad to hear ARB still makes SOME good stuff. I've been a customer/fan over 20 years, but was most disappointed in their Tundra bumper

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have. A good friend has them.

Have you seen and inspected a Baja Designs LP9 in person?

We did a side by side comparison with those and my Baja Designs LPs out in Death Valley

The fit and finish, and mounting bracket on the LP9 was a bit more robust and durable compared to the ARB V2.

Light output, throw, and pattern were virtually identical on the 2. But the LP9 had a much softer color which i personally prefer, but that's a personal taste thing.

The one thing that i felt was superior on the ARB over the LP9 was their harness. BD has always had top notch lights were subpar harnesses. ARB clearly won on this.

Glad to hear ARB still makes SOME good stuff. I've been a customer/fan over 20 years, but was most disappointed in their Tundra bumper
I hear ya, I have never been a fan of their bumpers, ever since I had one on my 110 Defender. I was really surprised by how much I liked the ARB V2, but I have not checked out the BD LP9. It may be that I was installing the ARB V2 next to some PIAA lights, to which the ARB was clearly superior in every way... I'll make a point to check out the BD LP9, I've used their HIDs and really like them (still have them on my Fuso). Thanks!

RallyeX

Salvation Mtn and Anza-Borrego CA.

Attachments

• 20200524_125512.jpg
    20200524_125512.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 20200523_200051.jpg
    20200523_200051.jpg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200523_214101.jpg
    20200523_214101.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • 20200523_215448.jpg
    20200523_215448.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • 20200523_175102.jpg
    20200523_175102.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • 20200523_174636.jpg
    20200523_174636.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • 20200523_173504.jpg
    20200523_173504.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58

38snubby

I love this package. It seems pretty compact and not to tall. How does this compare size wise to a Turtle?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I love this package. It seems pretty compact and not to tall. How does this compare size wise to a Turtle?

Agree 100% I’m basing my build off of this very truck / camper combo. It’s “just right” for me.

It’s about 4-5 FEET shorter than the turtle in the rear and it’s all in overhang savings

Steve_382

Agree 100% I’m basing my build off of this very truck / camper combo. It’s “just right” for me.

It’s about 4-5 FEET shorter than the turtle in the rear and it’s all in overhang savings

Looking at the GXV and AT websites, it looks like the base Turtle box is 9" longer and 3" wider than the base AT. That extra width can allow them to put the bed EW rather than NS and makes it easier to get a 60x80 queen bed in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94