GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

Greg have you taken it on really bad roads yet that you got to test its capabilities? My largest concern would be that front open axle. If you get the front on some slippery stuff, you basically have 2wd truck with the back locker.

A proper expedition vehicle has a center, front and rear locker. But with a cabover design, you are getting into some serious money and hard to find (basically impossible in the US).

Greg have you taken it on really bad roads yet that you got to test its capabilities? My largest concern would be that front open axle. If you get the front on some slippery stuff, you basically have 2wd truck with the back locker.

A proper expedition vehicle has a center, front and rear locker. But with a cabover design, you are getting into some serious money and hard to find (basically impossible in the US).
I have no experience so far on really bad roads. Did take it down some rough back roads around Lake Superior when we did a circle tour last fall but nothing that required anything but 4wd and low gear on some steep hills. I did not attempt to go down to the end of the road on one when it became washed out on one side.

This is something you might want to discuss with GXV to get their perspective on it.

GXV is certainly making the best large class offroad vehicle in the Americas right now...I do have concern about how the 20’ box will do down in Baja... on soft stuff.... fully loaded and wet, I would think it is up around 28-30k lbs...and with only one rear axle... do any owners have experience with sand or mud and how it does when things get soft?

Last edited:
Our 20 ft box Kenworth Patagonia probably weighs around 24,000-25,000 lb fully loaded as we typically travel. Filled all the way up for a long trip and with the full 130 gal of water and 200 gal of diesel would probably could get up to 26,000 lb or so..

Last edited:
I believe our truck with the 18.5 ft body weighed in at right around 21K. Add 1100 lb of water, 1388 lb of diesel and a full stock of recovery equipment, tools and all the things you need I would expect to be around 25-26K max. I've been on some soft sand and on some somewhat rough terrain. Aired down to around 60 psi it did well in moderately loose sand. Keep in mind the tires are designed to operate at 110 psi max. As far as traction goes we had no trouble getting up a fairly loose steep grade in 4wd lo. It has a locking transfer case and I believe it locks front and rear drive axles once engaged. With the locking rear we had plenty of traction. I can see where a front locking diff would be desirable and I'm sure its available but I didn't see the need. I did opt for manual hubs and I think GXV is putting them on all the Kenworth trucks standard now. The first one didn't have them. I'll double check but I really believe the massive divorced transfer case that is going in the Kenworth isn't a "center diff" but a true locking transfer case.

Attachments

Our 20 ft weighed in at 22,415 lb at delivery from GXV. It was delivered from Kenworth at 10,412 lb before any mods for 4wd, etc.
greg, have you weighed it fully wet and loaded with gear? on a split scale so you can get each axle weight?

what are your capacities for fuel and water?

i thought it would be more like 26k -30 fully loaded and wet... perhaps i overestimated... i know the MTV chassis with an 18.5 box and garage comes in over 32k lbs

thank you in advance,

Last edited:
greg, have you weighed it fully wet and loaded with gear? on a split scale so you can get each axle weight?

what are your capacities for fuel and water?

i thought it would be more like 26k -30 fully loaded and wet... perhaps i overshot the mark...

thank you in advance,
Have not weighed it yet but plan to when we have it loaded up for the trip to Alaska.

I think your estimate is accurate for a 20 ft box configuration like ours.

As I noted above, I expect it to weigh at least 26,000 lb fully loaded with full fuel and water. I have not guessed at the weight of the stuff we are loading into the truck but in addition to the standard stuff for camping, it includes equipment for recovery and tire changing in addition to a regular set of tools. Still deciding on bringing one of our inflatable kayaks. Looking at the Pakayak modular kayaks as an option. We are planning to get a cab roof rack when we get back in the fall. You can see the bumper and a roof rack on the latest build shown on the GXV website...

http://globalxvehicles.com/patagonia-on-kenworth-2017-3/

135 gallon fresh water and 200 gallon diesel fuel.

As originally delivered from GXV it weighed 22,415 lb and since then we added several upgrades that would increase the weight: heavy duty front bumper with winch, King shocks, and new cab seats.

Here is ours as it was delivered before the recent upgrades...

http://globalxvehicles.com/patagonia/patagonia-on-kenworth-2017-2/

Last edited:
Greg I think I saw an interview of you on Youtube with your rig. I love the computer chair and mini desk. Do you hook your chair to the wall with a bungee cord or something when you travel?

Greg I think I saw an interview of you on Youtube with your rig. I love the computer chair and mini desk. Do you hook your chair to the wall with a bungee cord or something when you travel?
Yes, that was me being interviewed.

Chair is held against the wall with a small ratchet strap when traveling. Without opposing bench seats or a dinette on the side you don’t have a second bed location so that is a consideration.

Ditto here for what both Greg and Daurie mentioned. I have a 20’ version of the Patagonia and actually weighed it out of curiosity. It came in at 27,400 fully loaded with fuel, water and our winter gear. It has the storage boxes on the rear, 7 solar panels on the roof, cab roof rack and front/rear winch.

Henry

Ditto here for what both Greg and Daurie mentioned. I have a 20’ version of the Patagonia and actually weighed it out of curiosity. It came in at 27,400 fully loaded with fuel, water and our winter gear. It has the storage boxes on the rear, 7 solar panels on the roof, cab roof rack and front/rear winch.

Henry
Thank you ....

What is your overall length and hwy cruising speed?

What speed can you maintain on grades?

Do you know what your turning radius is?

Thanks in advance

D

David - The length is 29’. My typical interstate speed is around 65 but it can do more. As far as maintaining speeds on grades, it depends on the pitch. On the interstate for example, I can usually maintain cruising speed if the grade is gradual and I stay on it. On steeper grades it does slow as Greg previously mentioned.

I haven’t measured the turning radius but it’s about as good as my 2500 crew cab truck. Remarkably good in my opinion.

David - The length is 29’. My typical interstate speed is around 65 but it can do more. As far as maintaining speeds on grades, it depends on the pitch. On the interstate for example, I can usually maintain cruising speed if the grade is gradual and I stay on it. On steeper grades it does slow as Greg previously mentioned.

I haven’t measured the turning radius but it’s about as good as my 2500 crew cab truck. Remarkably good in my opinion.
Thank you..sorry I missed that comment from Greg on grades and speed... great vehicle..

Is that 29' including your boxes on back?

Do you have a front game guard bumper? If so does it include that?

What tires did you guys go with? 445? 425?

Last edited: