GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

Thank you..sorry I missed that comment from Greg on grades and speed... great vehicle..

Is that 29' including your boxes on back?

Do you have a front game guard bumper? If so does it include that?

What tires did you guys go with? 445? 425?
Yes, The 29' includes the rear boxes and f
We have the 425 tires and recently added the front bumper as shown on Herk72’s vehicle shown on the GXV website (link below). GXV is developing headlight protection to be added to the bumper which we will be getting along with the cab roof rack this fall when we return from Alaska.

http://globalxvehicles.com/patagonia-on-kenworth-2017-3/
Yes, The 29' includes the rear boxes and front bumper. That's one of the advantages of the cabover setup. You can get a good sized living area while keeping the overall vehicle length down.

Ours was a little over 26 ft as delivered before we added the front bumper. We will only have a hitch mount bike rack for our two bikes on the rear (a Voltbike Mariner electric folding mini fat tire bike and a regular bike). We have the spare inside the garage area and no rear external storage boxes so only the bikes on the back. With the bikes we will probably be about the same length as Herk72.

Ours was a little over 26 ft as delivered before we added the front bumper. We will only have a hitch mount bike rack for our two bikes on the rear (a Voltbike Mariner electric folding mini fat tire bike and a regular bike). We have the spare inside the garage area and no rear external storage boxes so only the bikes on the back. With the bikes we will probably be about the same length as Herk72.
I have a couple of fat tire folding e bikes.. radpower mini ... Love them...

Wouldn't it be better to keep the bikes inside and the spare outside? I mean... Who cares if the spare gets dirty...???

Wouldn't it be better to keep the bikes inside and the spare outside? I mean... Who cares if the spare gets dirty...???
All comes down to trade-offs in the design. We wanted the 2 ft of full height storage in the rear along with the underbed storage so we have a garage door in the rear and two side doors into the storage area. The spare tire is inside along the side on the passenger side so it does take up some inside storage space. With the garage door you would need a swing away tire carrier to have the tire mounted outside which is doable. Bikes take up more space inside than the spare tire so we would be losing storage space by moving the bikes inside and moving the spare outside. We will have a cover on the bikes so they won’t get very dirty from travel but they get dirty in any case from riding them and need to be washed regularly so keeping them inside to keep them clean doesn’t seem to be an advantage in most cases. Swinging the tire out of the way whenever you open the garage door is not a big deal and swinging the bikes down to open the garage door is not a big deal. So, just the way we ended up making the trade-offs in the design...

I was originally going to get the Rad Power Mini but after looking at the Voltbike Mariner I decided to go with it. The standard bike includes the fenders and the step over height is lower (I am an older guy) and the customer feedback on shipping and initial quality seemed to be better with Voltbike than with Rad Power. Not as powerful a motor but I don’t think that will bother me.

I was originally going to get the Rad Power Mini but after looking at the Voltbike Mariner I decided to go with it. The standard bike includes the fenders and the step over height is lower (I am an older guy) and the customer feedback on shipping and initial quality seemed to be better with Voltbike than with Rad Power. Not as powerful a motor but I don’t think that will bother me.
Looking forward to hear how you like it... the rad mini was just redesigned, I have the original version.. no front suspension... the new one has front shocks... and a larger battery... I met someone along the trail on Vancouver island with a volt.. looked very nice... I was jealous of the front suspension... ha..

...as far as traveling goes... keeping the bikes inside a garage on board....was not negotiable... too much dirt along off-road trails... and my 5 mile gravel road to my house... would make a bike so gummed up with fine dirt curling around the back of my vehicle....so it was spare tire outside and bikes inside...

Last edited:
Any of you guys wish to discuss who your insurance is and the cost on these recent GXV's? I've got a quote for $350K used GXV from Progressive for $5000/year which seems quite high.

I am paying around $3500 per year for a Progressive Full Timer RV policy on our Kenworth Patagonia which is registered in Sarasota FL where we are domiciled (sold our house and live in the truck). Not sure how much it effects the premium but we are retirees in our late 60’s with good driving records and no recent insurance claims.

In terms of pricing for the truck, I won’t give the price of ours but GXV quoted a base price of $430,000 for the Patagonia on the Kenworth when it was introduced last year. Each vehicle is custom designed, the price will increase when you add length to the camper body, select heating and electrical options, and add other options to the base configuration which can be extensive.

The agent I used is in Montana and specializes in RV insurance...

Keith Nelson
Garden City Insurance
Phone: (866)444-1084

Fax: (406)549-8527

keith@gardencityins.com

I am paying around $3500 per year for a Progressive Full Timer RV policy on our Kenworth Patagonia which is registered in Sarasota FL where we are domiciled (sold our house and live in the truck). Not sure how much it effects the premium but we are retirees in our late 60’s with good driving records and no recent insurance claims.

In terms of pricing for the truck, I won’t give the price of ours but GXV quoted a base price of $430,000 for the Patagonia on the Kenworth when it was introduced last year. Each vehicle is custom designed, the price will increase when you add length to the camper body, select heating and electrical options, and add other options to the base configuration which can be extensive.

Keith Nelson
Garden City Insurance

keith@gardencityins.com

I had a stretch earthroamer and paid the same...appox $3500 from progressive.. btw progressive covers Mexico as well (and you need a special Mexico insurance on top of that from a Mexico carrier)

You can register your rig in Montana and pay no sales tax )
(check your state laws to see how long your vehie must remain out of state after purchase).. if you need the law firms name in Montana.. who sets up the LLC and rv reg...pm me..

Keith Nelson
Garden City Insurance

keith@gardencityins.com
Thanks greg, good info!

I had a stretch earthroamer and paid the same...appox $3500 from progressive.. btw progressive covers Mexico as well (and you need a special Mexico insurance on top of that from a Mexico carrier)

You can register your rig in Montana and pay no sales tax )
(check your state laws to see how long your vehie must remain out of state after purchase).. if you need the law firms name in Montana.. who sets up the LLC and rv reg...pm me..
A Montana LLC is an option and you will see many of the GXV vehicles with Montana plates. We were living in Michigan when we bought the truck and didn’t expect to get the house sold last year and go full time in the truck. We didn’t have the option of keeping the truck out of Michigan until we went full time and Michigan, along with several other states, notably California, have been aggressive in tracking down residents who register high cost vehicles with a Montana LLC and who have no other connection to Montana. So, we went ahead and registered the vehicle in Michigan at a high cost of 6.6% (6% sales tax and 0.6% registration). This year, we sold the house and moved our domicile to Florida and registered the truck there at a reasonable cost and no additional sales tax. Could we have gotten away with using a Montana LLC and avoided the high cost of registering in Michigan? Probably, but we decided to avoid any issues with Michigan.

What do you guys mean by tracking down? Like if you simply drive in CA with Montana plates they will pull you over and ask for your registration?
Here is some info on what states are doing to track down Montana LLC’s. Google “California Montana LLC RV” to see more...

http://www.rv-dreams.com/montana-llcs.html

https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2017/05/cant-outrun-sales-tax-wacky-tax-wednesday.html

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-i-avoid-state-sales-tax-using-montana-llc.html