H3T at Moab

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Good first hand experience. Thanks for posting that REDLYNER :clapsmile

REDLYNER said:
Hells Revenge is by far my favorite trail in Moab and I have run it 5 times now.

Hells Gate is not extremely difficult if you follow the correct line. ESCALATOR, on the other hand, is by far the hardest obstacle on Hells Revenge (well... maybe the taller of the two hot tubs is as well), and there is no "correct line".

We took my wife's H3 on 33"s through Hells Revenge and ran a couple of the side obstacles without a scratch. I have yet to have any problems at all with the H3 and we wheel it every other weekend here in Colorado. We are running 35"s on it now, and still have not had any breaks. Doesn't mean they won't happen, but the H3 is not a fragile vehicle by any means.

Here is our caravan- My wife follows almost all of my lines, and I am locked front and rear on 35"s.-

Upper Carnage, CO
huml4.JPG

Hells Gate, Moab
MMM4.JPG

Fireman's Hill, CO
huml7.JPG

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
calamaridog said:
Sure, if you were rockcrawling the long wheelbase would be a disadvantage. For many other duties, the longer wheelbase may be an asset.

For comparisson:

The wheelbase is 95" for the Jeep JK

The wheelbase is 110" for the Tacoma regular cab

The wheelbase is 112" for the H3

The wheelbase is 116" for the Jeep JK Unlimited

The wheelbase is 128" for the Tacoma double cab

The wheelbase is 134" for the H3T

The wheelbase is 140" for the Tacoma double cab longbed

:088: :yikes: ;) :victory: :victory:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
half a foot longer wb than the Taco DC and what is the overall length? Who is going to buy such a niche pickuptruck?

The only niche pickup I was excited about was the Gladiator Jeep and it was not longer than the Queen Mary!

Redlyner,
great pics, the H3 & Jeep look like a good team. Jealous that your wife wheels too.

DarinM

Explorer
ZR2 differences

Just FYI - my previous vehicle was a 2001 ZR2 Blazer and it saw some wheeling in Arizona. It did surprisingly well, especially for a vehicle with a fairly non-cooperative rear locker.
Here's what's different - definitely not a sticker package.
I like the H3. I'm not sure about the H3T. Maybe with a diesel in front of a good 5 or 6 speed manual I might be sort of interested - but not for the amount of money I'd have to shell out to get it. The pickup built on the H3, though - that is really cool.

According to GM, these are the specs for the ZR2 package:

- RPO ZR2 only full ladder-type frame with modified suspension mounting points which provide:
100mm wider track (3.9 inches wider than regular S-10)
Three-inch suspension height increase
- Enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio
- Larger wheel and axle bearings
- 31 x 10.5R-15 LT/C black wall off-road tires (BFG A/Ts on pickups and BFG Long Trails on BlaZeR2)
- 46mm gas pressurized Bilstein Monotube shocks
- Rear axle track bar (pickups) / rear sway bar (BlaZeR2)
- Wheel flares (black on Chevrolet/body-color on GMC pickups)
- 33mm (early model) / 28mm (late model) front anti-sway bar
- Skid plates (Aluminum through 1998 model year, carbon fiber thereafter).

Guinness44

Adventurer
The Ram quadcab has a 138 inch wheelbase. The way ours is setup, it would never make it on Hellsrevenge (nose, tail). But we have driven that thing on a lot of trails, and camped out of it. So it all depends what the goal, where to camp, how much to bring, or rough it.

Also it is very cool to see some newbies to offhighway driving take their brandnew H2, or H3 up Hells Gate. They are very capable. If you need a bigger loadrating, I rode up Hells Gate in a H1, that weighs in at 12 500 lbs.
(stock, except for heavier springs of a 12.1K truck).

mcm4090

Explorer
Life_in_4Lo said:
half a foot longer wb than the Taco DC and what is the overall length? Who is going to buy such a niche pickuptruck?

The only niche pickup I was excited about was the Gladiator Jeep and it was not longer than the Queen Mary!

I see alot of Tacoma double cab longbed out there and they are longer.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
that is exactly the point- the longbed Taco is designed mostly as a work truck for the full bed.
the difference is that the Tacoma comes in various lengths (as do many pickups) and it is a... pickup. it's not just focused for offroad. They have a 'offroad pkg' that is the shortbed, they have many versions to pick from.

I don't find the Ram quad cab sb objectionable. it is long but it also gives you gobs of interior room, storage room, bed room, power, towing capacity... it's a fullsize pickup.

The H3T is a 'offroader pickup' which I just don't get. The Gladitor, I get. Taco pickup, frontier pickup..yeah functional, cool, good size...I get it.

The H3T concept pickup w/ 2 doors- that was cool and a lot of cool features in a nice pkg. What happened there??

H3T is looong and doesn't have a 6' bed to show for it and at over 210" long, I think is longer than a Caprice Classic wagon...

it's focused as a offroad pickup but I don't see how. I see many other pickups doing a better job for less money. Even the pickup truck guys seemed more excited about the H3/ZR2 hybrid pickup than the H3T.

jmo, it would be the same if toyota made it. I would have the same complaints.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I'm no marketing expert but let me say I think it does make sense. While they are a small volume line, Hummer needs to increase their market share to justify their existence. They will add a truck to their lineup, and take a small piece of that pie. The truck will have "off road" heritage, since Hummer is the GM off road line - hence the focus on that. Honestly, if they throw the 4.5 diesel in there, it would be a near perfect overlander.

3 DOGS

Observer
6 Speed Tranny??

I just read the latest Truck Trend and they had a little blurp about the H-3T.
Most of it was the typical promo stuff EXCEPT they said it'll have the 6 speed tranny!!!!!
Has anyone else heard this? I have talked to a local dealer and been checking other sites - no mention of the 6-speed.
That'd definately help the fuel consumption issue a little. Now just put the 4.5 in it since the H2 is done and we got a winner.

viter

Adventurer
ofcourse long wheelbase is limiting, but still it seems to do quite well - http://youtube.com/watch?v=7595cWvwNrQ

also, just the fact that one manufacturer will offer a vehicle with rear AND front lockers, 33's, etc. from the factory floor is already an achievement for all off-road enthusiasts, since it will hopefully push other manufacturers in similar direction... I guess dodge already offered that with powerwagon, but this is in smaller pick-up...

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Rumors are worth what you pay for them. That said, I've read speculation that Hummer will introduce an H3T single cab with 5 foot bed on the original H3 wheelbase (like the original H3T concept vehicle), and a single cab with an 8 foot bed on the H3T wheelbase.

It would be great if Hummer simply used the cab of the Colorado for these single cab H3T models. The H3 and H3T windows restrict the driver's view too much. I don't want a vehicle that looks like its father was a Brinks armored car!

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles