HAM radio installation in Tacoma

aredman

For those of you that are HAM operators, I have a question about mobile 2meter radio's that you've installed. Have you had any vehicle EMI/EFI noise when tx or rxing? I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma and do get EMI/EFI interference. After doing some research, it appears that I may have several issues, but the most likely cause seems to be the electric fuel pump according to the ARRL website. I may have to put a capacitor on the feed line to the fuel pump, but wanted to touch bases with you prior to doing any more work for potential insight that you may have.

I first noticed the problem with my portable HT unit. The HT wasn't plugged into a truck antenna or power supply, just free-hand. I put a mag-mount on the roof and the problem seemed to not be so pronounced. I then put in my mobile unit and still have the problem of course. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I have had some minor interference with my CB, but never my HAM radio. I have the ICOM V8000. Have you tried running the hot feed directly off the battery?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Yes, I would ask that too. If you haven't already, you should try running fused wires (both pos. and neg.) directly to the battery and see if that helps.

aredman

I also have the IC-V8000 (love the radio by the way) and the unit is fed directly off the battery. Even the HT, which isn't connected to anything, has the same interference. I'm assuming at this point the entire vehicle is energized with the EMI/EFI. I have changed the spark plug wires and that didn't solve the issue. Someone did comment that the electric fuel pump was the likely cause, but prior to pulling the tank to put a capacitor on the feed line, I was curious if experience with other users on this forum has yielded other solutions.

asteffes

Explorer
I would put a noise filter on the radio's power wires first before messing with your fuel pump wiring.

asteffes

Explorer
Any ham gear shop should be able to supply them to you, as most ham gear manufacturers offer them. In fact, that's your best bet because the Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu/etc. filters will already have matching connectors on them to plug right into your radio. :coffee:

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Thought I might as well chime in. FYI, I have a 2002 D/C with a V8000 mounted on the console with + and - through shifter mount up frame to battery. The antenna lead runs through the same hole up backside of cab to mag mounted antenna. Never have had an interference problem.
I know this doesn't help much to remedy your problem, given similar situations cannot think why you would have one.
BX

aredman

Went to Ham Radio Outlet here in ATL this afternoon. The noise filter doesn't work. They explained that being that the HT, which isn't plugged in to any power or antenna demonstrates that the interference isn't coming through the power source. They said that it's an electric motor or something similar that is causing the issue and would need filtering at it's respective feed line. This will probably take some time to troubleshoot unfortunately. Thanks for the great input though. If I get it figured out I'll post the resolution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier