Hamilton to Yellowknife

GQJeeper

Hey everyone, I am new here and just want to say I was recommended this site from a member of NAXJA (My Jeep site I belong to)

I am relocating permanently to the City of Yellowknife NWT Canada. I will be leaving Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday of next week(Nov15th) I am taking the drive up there in a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

I am going to travel through the US here is the approx route:

Michigan - I94

Indiana - I94

Illinois (Chicago) I90

Wisconsin - I90/I94

Minnesota - I94

North Dakota - I29

I would like information on a few things:

What are the best places to stay overnight? and what should I avoid?

I want to stay in Minnesota for a day - any recommendations for shopping sight-seeing ect?

What should I expect weather wise?

Any tips on boarder crossings?

And finally what is it like once you leave Edmonton to head north?

Any hints suggestions will be awsome!

thanks in advance!

Jeff:)

paulj

Expedition Leader
NWT road conditions
http://www.hwy.dot.gov.nt.ca/highways/Default.htm
Some of the river crossings use ferrys in the summer, and ice bridges in the winter. There may transition times when you can't cross either way.

Alberta highway conditions (from the AMA, not the provincial govt):
http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/S...oad_report.jsp?dept=road report&sec=00&path=1

Last winter a reporter drove a new RAV4 from Toronto to Yukon. I think a link to his blog was posted on this forum. He took the all Canada route through Thunderbay and Edmonton.

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
There's a lot of freeway (and tollway) construction around Chicago. Traffic can be pretty bad starting in NW Indiana. An alternative would be the head north from Detroit (or cross north of there), cross to Upper Michigan, and stay on US 2 to North Dakota.

When I lived in Chicago I usually drove NW to Rockford, then north to Madison and on to Minnesota. For a change of pace I'd take I90 W to the River and north.

Just south of Minneapolis is a mega mall (Mall of the Americas) - comparable in size and spirit to the Edmonton Mall.

Or for more 'manly' shopping, you could stop by a Cabela's. There are several along your proposed route.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...m_pla=cabellas&cm_ite=netcon&_requestid=74234

I tend to stay at Motel 6 when travelling a route like this, especially when it's too cold for campgrounds to be open, and I want to cover a lot miles.

paulj

Last edited:

GQJeeper

Hey Bro,

Thanks a million, your suggestions are appreciated!

I can't wait to get my feet wet on this trip, hopefully all goes well:truck:

Jeff:088:

IggyB

Adventurer
My sister lived in Yellowknife and has driven there in the winter. I'll ask tomorrow what the drive was like North of Edmonton.

GQJeeper

Hey Guys, thanks I will!

Just a quick note, If anyone has any info, whats the best way to get to Winnipeg Manitoba (the meeting point to head to Alberta) from Southern Ontario? (Hamilton Toronto area)

All the mapquests and information I get online, tells me to go through the US. Whats your experience you would recommend?

Second any tips on boarder crossings if I enter through the US? I will be carrying all my personal stuff and worldly possesstions (sp?)

Thanks again!

Jeff:sunny:

IggyB

Adventurer
I drove from Kingston to Calgary the northernmost route back in 93. It may get unpleasant in the winter so allow plenty of time. Would not do it again.

The US customs can be a little zealous but the interstate system is better than going through Canada. Maybe cross around Winterpeg.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I've driven all the pieces of the routes between Toronto and Winnipeg, but never as a through run. US2 across northern Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota is a relatively straight, good highway. Across much of Minnesota it is divided, though not limited access (not full freeway). Traffic is relatively light, and there are few large cities.

I just checked the map. Across upper Michigan you have the choice of US2 along the the north shore of Lake Michigan, or 28/US41 across the middle. US2 along the shore is scenic. 28 is straighter. I'd definitely use 28 if crossing the border at Sault Ste Marie.

I don't know if it is better to get to Marie via Michigan or North Bay. Probably shorter and faster through Michigan. When I've driven this area, I was headed to canoe territory north of North Bay.

South through Chicago is freeway all the way, but contends with the big city traffic. Also you will end up paying some tolls on all but the busiest route through Chicago. Snow is less likely to be a problem on the south route. They can get heavy lake effect snow before Lake Superior freezes over. But forcasts don't look bad.

I've also driven Canada 17 around the north side of Superior. It is superior for the views. As I recall road surface is good, but it does climb across rocky highlands above the lake.

These routes get some discussion on rv.net Open roads forums (either the routes or Canada/Alaska sections). RVers usually aren't in a big rush, and don't like heavy traffic. So I think in their recommendations the Upper Mich/Minnesota route wins out.

paulj

http://www.gcmtravel.com/gcm/home.jsp - Gary-Chicago-Millwaukee corridor travel information

Last edited:

BCJC

Adventurer
i have no experience with the american side, but i've driven the northern side of superior, and like paulj says, it's a beautiful and relatively good conditioned road. in winter months, ie soon/now, it can get very icy with whiteout conditions making for a very slow going.

chet

island Explorer
I would stay in canada if you have all your crap with you. customs can be a ********** with alot of gear with you. going south of the border does save quite a bit of time though. Toronto to thunder bay to winterpeg sucks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior