Hand tools, does brand really matter?

Pilotamis

Observer
Does brand of socket and combination wrench matter? Its a 2016 truck so I'm not expecting to have to fix much, if anything on it, but I want something that I can hold onto and get use out of in the future as I make upgrades. I've currently got an old set of Craftsman that have worked exceptionally well, but now are missing most of the common sizes. After looking online, it seems that they're regarded pretty poorly now that Sears moved them over seas. So who else? I can't afford Snap On or even Gear Wrench. I found of set of TEKTON's that come in a tool roll that have nice reviews, but are they good, or are they all really about the same and not to worry. I think I read Kobalt has an excellent return policy with Lowe's. That's great while I'm here, but what about when I'm not.

Hummelator

Adventurer
I keep a bag of tools in my truck. Basically they are there to keep me going ( if possible) until I can either get back home or to a proper repair shop.
So generally they don’t get much use so I don’t worry about them being top
Notch quality. I’m sure the harbour freight brand sockets and wrenches would suffice for that purpose.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
My good set of Craftsman tools (30+ years old) got stolen along with my F250 in 2014. Since then I carry a cheaper Craftsman folding hard case for daily driving stuff and keep my good tools at home. Now when I did the ID BDR this summer I brought that plus everything and the kitchen sink including a 12 ton bottle jack (which we actually got to use on someone else's vehicle). If you use the cheap stuff at home and a socket or wrench breaks you can run to the store and get something better (or at least a similar replacement). If you're in the middle of nowhere (or more than 50 miles from a real town) you don't want to take a chance on that needed socket or wrench breaking.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@M1078's point make sense, there is an argument to be made that the last place you want to cheap out is on field tools. But I get not wanting to spend a ton on something you might never use, get stolen or rusty.

A few years ago I would have argued that even being Chinese made the Craftsman might still be worthwhile for the warranty, but I don't know that they will still warranty them forever and even if they do where the heck would you go? It's not like the days when there were Sears everywhere. Now it's a Sears here or there, maybe an Ace. None of them necessarily even carry a full selection anymore either.

Personally, I think whatever Lowe's or Home Depot sell is your best bet for truck hand tools. They don't seem any worse quality wise than Craftsman and it's easier to find them. Then double up on critical tools I guess.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Johnathan Hanson has writen some nice articles about tools. There is a 3-part article linked here: http://www.exploringoverland.com/overland-tech-travel/2012/8/25/the-one-case-tool-kit-part-1.html

Brand names are what they are, but quality fits the bits better, less chance of rounding off, less likely to break, less likely to bash yourself with them.

Lots of good YouTube videos comparing various tool brands. I highly recommend watching some of them. Last commmet: Craftsman has announced a new Rededication towards making quality, USA made tools again. I think their Pro line is the first of them.

Most budget tool collections are a mixed bag. One of my favorite ratchets is a long length 3/8” swivel headed ratchet from Harbor Freight. I love it. My best sockets in terms of fitment is a set of old short lengrh Craftsman impact sockets. I suspect most people pick and choose what works best based on their budget and immeadiate need, which over time results in an eclectic collection.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Another way of approaching your trail tool selection is what tools does your specific vehicle need? Most combo tool sets come with all sorts of items that either don't fit anything on your truck (mini Allen wrench sets, claw head hammer, small or odd sized wrenches/sockets, level, etc..) or you simply don't need it. We frequently work with people setting up their trucks and advise them to grab a six pack of your favorite beverage and sit in the driveway with all your tools and touch all the fasteners on your truck. Set aside the ones that fit and put the others back in your garage. Add a few matching openend/box end wrenches, sockets, vise grips, needle nose pliers, adjustable pliers, wire cutters, ball peen hammer, breaker bar, standard/Phillips screwdrivers, duct tape, mechanics wire, etc. as you can tell, this isn't the stuff that's in the prepackaged kits. Once assembled you'll be down to approx. 50-60 piece Tool kit that actually works on your truck for the typical types of repairs that may occur on the road or trail without hauling a 200 piece mechanics set.
Now, as far as brand name versus cheap tools. When you've spent time, energy, stress, blood, sweat and tears trying to get that rusted, jammed, buggered up nut/bolt on or off and you've literally stripped, bent or broke a cheap tool you'll appreciate a quality tool. That doesn't mean go out and go in debt for snap-on, Matco, etc, but at least go with the brand names with a warranty from national outlets. Good luck!

Sneak peek coming to OE East 2018: ATC/DeWalt 65 piece mechanics off-road tools set with lifetime worldwide warranty.image2.JPG

Umbrarian

Observer
Last commmet: Craftsman has announced a new Rededication towards making quality, USA made tools again. I think their Pro line is the first of them.

Craftsman is now a brand of Stanley Black & Decker. Most of what you see is this new re-branding. Sears still owns rights, so theoretically for the next 14 years, there might be 2 different MFGs making "Craftsman" Tools.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Craftsman is now a brand of Stanley Black & Decker. Most of what you see is this new re-branding. Sears still owns rights, so theoretically for the next 14 years, there might be 2 different MFGs making "Craftsman" Tools.
What's interesting is that back when Craftsman was exclusively sold by Sears at some points Stanley was actually the hand tool manufacturer. Then for a while Danaher (K-D, Crescent, Xcelite, Gearwrench) or Western Forge (SK, made over in Pueblo, CO, I think) were the US manufacturer of Craftsman or Craftsman Industrial and someone else made the overseas ones. Now Stanley-Black & Decker own the brand rather than being a contract manufacturer with Sears temporarily having rights to market tools under the name, so the tables are sort of flipped. The whole thing is confusing and I just wanna know who (if anyone) will honor the warranty if I crack a friggin' socket to replace a US-made one with another US-made one.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Depends. I've used everything as a pro. Most of my tools are cheap generic Kobalt, Craftsman, Ryobi, Harbor Fraught etc.etc.

But some tools are special. My 10mm-19mm combo wrenchs get used on every single job sight. Only SnapOn will do for those. Matco for swivels. Fluke for DVOM'S. My line wrenchs and flex head 3/8 ratchet has to be SnapOn as well.

MOguy

Explorer
Does brand of socket and combination wrench matter? Its a 2016 truck so I'm not expecting to have to fix much, if anything on it, but I want something that I can hold onto and get use out of in the future as I make upgrades. I've currently got an old set of Craftsman that have worked exceptionally well, but now are missing most of the common sizes. After looking online, it seems that they're regarded pretty poorly now that Sears moved them over seas. So who else? I can't afford Snap On or even Gear Wrench. I found of set of TEKTON's that come in a tool roll that have nice reviews, but are they good, or are they all really about the same and not to worry. I think I read Kobalt has an excellent return policy with Lowe's. That's great while I'm here, but what about when I'm not.

The ratchet for the sockets matters big time. As for a combination wrench cheap ones break easier but I would skimp here before I would skimp on a ratchet.

For trail tools I like cheap kits because of the cases, it is easy to see what is missing. For me the important up grades are the ratchet and the adjustable wrench (Crescent wrench).

For you rrepalcement go to pawn shops and thirft stores. Look for old tools. Older tools seem better and you save a ton of money.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Would be interesting to talk about what tools have been surprisingly handy, that you would never do without given the choice. For me, that's pretty easy. I love the following three tools more than I ever imagined I would. I use them constantly:

- Long handle wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AIX502/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They have a very slender head with a pronounced offset. Getting into tight spaces that a socket or traditional wrench just won't fit. They also have an extremely accurate head shape, and bit tenaciously onto whatever bolt you've got.

- Long reach, bent nose pliers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YQ7RWCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Never fear a hose clamp again!

- Ratcheting wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYD1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These are just standard Gear wrenches, but they feel better than a comparable Craftsmen set I have, and have a higher tooth count, and smoother operation. They are a bit bulky and sometimes don't fit, but when they do, they are a life saver. They are also a bit longer than the comparable Craftman, so you get just that much more rotation out of every turn.

Pilotamis

Observer
- Ratcheting wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYD1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These are just standard Gear wrenches, but they feel better than a comparable Craftsmen set I have, and have a higher tooth count, and smoother operation. They are a bit bulky and sometimes don't fit, but when they do, they are a life saver. They are also a bit longer than the comparable Craftman, so you get just that much more rotation out of every turn.

I was watching a video yesterday with 2 Australian bush mechanics and they said they never take the ratcheting combo wrenches specifically because they're more difficult to get into tighter spaces. Their reasoning was between the head being a lot larger and no offset, it just increased the chance you may not get it on what you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94