Hand tools, does brand really matter?

- Ratcheting wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYD1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These are just standard Gear wrenches, but they feel better than a comparable Craftsmen set I have, and have a higher tooth count, and smoother operation. They are a bit bulky and sometimes don't fit, but when they do, they are a life saver. They are also a bit longer than the comparable Craftman, so you get just that much more rotation out of every turn.
I was watching a video yesterday with 2 Australian bush mechanics and they said they never take the ratcheting combo wrenches specifically because they're more difficult to get into tighter spaces. Their reasoning was between the head being a lot larger and no offset, it just increased the chance you may not get it on what you need.

I was watching a video yesterday with 2 Australian bush mechanics and they said they never take the ratcheting combo wrenches specifically because they're more difficult to get into tighter spaces. Their reasoning was between the head being a lot larger and no offset, it just increased the chance you may not get it on what you need.
I have both ratchets and ratcheting wrenches. Plenty of bolts on my vehicle where it is only one or the other. For example, damn near impossible to replace a spark plug with a ratcheting wrench. Likewise, damn near impossible to get a ratchet under the body to unbolt a body mount.

Back when I was younger and dumber, I spent a lot of time wrenching on high-mileage New England cars and trucks with crappy tools. I would have saved hundreds of dollars and a fair bit of bloodshed had I just bought decent stuff to begin with (breaking a socket or wrench on a stubborn bolt, especially when inexperienced, may result in sudden contact between your hand/arm and a sharp piece of vehicle). And that's not even counting the countless rounded bolts and nuts that I ended up needing to deal with.

Even 10 years ago, I would've just said, "Craftsman", because while their stuff isn't the best, the lifetime warranty means that they don't expect to be replacing it, but I've since made repeated trips to swap out failed Craftsman made-in-China ratches, and that Sears is no longer open. I'd stick with lifetime-warranty stuff, and for sockets (especially larger ones), I'd carry six-sided impact sockets even if you don't have impact tools. As long as the thicker walls don't prevent you from getting the socket on a bolt or nut, using a socket designed to handle impact forces vastly reduces the chance that you will break it by hand (even after you put a pipe over the handle of your breaker bar).

I have a lot of Craftsman tools that I bought nearly 40 years ago and a lot of Harbor Freight "Pittsburgh" tools that I have bought over the past 10 year span. Really no issues with either. Ace Hardware in my area now carries Craftsman. In my tool roll that stays in my daily its all Pittsburgh, I've beat the heck out of these.