Hard-sided adventure travel trailers in the US?

sobiloff

Hi all,

I've been searching for a while for hard-sided adventure trailers that are available in the US, but I'm not having a lot of luck finding ones that meet my criteria. I really like several of the "caravan" designs out of Australia (especially the Lotus Caravans), but many of those manufacturers don't export to the US. I'm wondering if maybe I've missed some?

My criteria:
* Wet bath
* 3+ season capability
* Heat / air conditioning
* Solar
* 3-way fridge / freezer
* Indoor stove and sink
* Attached awning
* Room for two adults (e.g. a queen-sized bed) and a dog
* An interior that doesn't look like my grandparents' cabin

My use case: I want to hook the trailer up to the back of my pickup, haul it somewhere pretty remote via forest service / BLM roads, and drop it as my basecamp for further adventures--or my comfy shelter if the weather turns sour for a bit. So, it doesn't have to be as robust as many of the small military-style trailers (AT, Moby1 et al.), but good ground clearance, a robust design that's not going to get shaken apart by a lot of off-pavement travel, and the ability to boondock are important. To explore the really technical stuff I'll use the pickup by itself, or the dirt bikes, or my feet, and spike camp in a tent as necessary.

Contenders I've found:
Airstream Basecamp: Great aesthetic and ticks many of the boxes, but poor quality control and a badly designed refrigerator enclosure that makes it unusable on propane in warmer temperatures. Limited ground clearance.
No Boundaries by Forest River: Appears to be a typical American travel trailer that has a bit more ground clearance and a more modern interior. Still a stick frame, though, and not sure how robust or well insulated it really is.
Livin Lite: All-aluminum frame with aluminum and fiberglass paneling, so no wood to mold or mildew. More contemporary interior design, but models with a queen-sized bed are double-axle and have slide-outs, so I'm dubious that they're up to a lot of off-roading.
Black Series HQ15: Closest I've found to meeting all my criteria. Been in the Australian market for 10+ years, but new to the US. Company threatened to sue a forum because of a thread that was critical of them. Mostly manufactured in China.
VMI Offroad Compass Summit: Very nice, American made. A little larger and heavier than ideal for me, and definitely more expensive ($130K) than I want.

Any others I've missed? Thanks!

ttengineer

Adventurer
Kimberly Karavans are now available in the US as well.

Check out Bruder too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sobiloff

Thanks for the pointers!

I'd forgotten about Bruder; when I first looked at them I thought they were US$100K, but it looks like they're closer to US$70K?

I hadn't heard of Kimberley before. Unfortunately, their website just asks for a login at the moment, but I'll scout around the 'net and see what other info I can find.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
There are several plans in the works to continue service and parts (many are sourced from the US) support and/or to "Phoenix" (look it up) the Kimberley brand. Time will tell.

Also, there is an extremely strong owners group that provides superior service and repair assistance. They helped me through some issues when the factory did not.

In the mean time, I have one for sale here in the US at an exceptional price; and it has no need for the support of the factory. See the link in the message I posted above.

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Here's one of the possibilities - a US buyer!

From the Lismore Northern Star today
EXCLUSIVE: American buyer keen to snap up Kimberley Kampers
Hamish Broome
by Hamish Broome
3rd Aug 2018 9:00 AM
Subscriber only

THE Kimberley Kampers story may be far from over as it emerges a US entity is gathering a team of investors to resurrect the company.
The mystery investors are connected to an American offshoot of the business, Kimberley USA, which last year signed a deal for exclusive, perpetual rights to sell, distribute and modify Kimberley products in North America.
The plan was to import semi-complete campervans to the US and then finish the manufacturing process at a plant in California.
But it's understood that just as the business was poised to officially launch - with millions of dollars of investment lined up - Kimberley director Todd Cannock "pulled the plug” and claimed the signed, exclusive license agreement he himself approved was a "draft”.
He instead told US customers to buy direct from Ballina.
Kimberley USA was even told to give refunds to customers who had already pre-ordered their campervans.
A source connected with Kimberley USA said the company had been in talks with lawyers over the souring of the deal and had ironclad paperwork to prove its licensee rights.
But its plan changed dramatically last week when Mr Cannock placed Kimberley Kampers into liquidation.
Now the group of investors connected to Kimberley USA want to resurrect its parent, and is in talks with liquidators about the assets of the company.
According to a source close to Kimberley USA, the group is very serious and the financing involves "multiple investment banks”.
It was hoped that under any arrangement, Kimberley Australia would continue to handle the bulk of manufacturing in Ballina - thereby bringing more than 50 now ex-employees back into the fold.
Kimberley's trailers are considered to be light years ahead of anything available in the US, boasting a combination of features that simply don't exist over there.
"The amount of bad product here is unbelievable,” the source said.
"American RVs, the way they are built, if they go into a ditch the walls fall apart.”
The source said the $50 billion US RV market had a "wide, gaping” hole in it for Kimberley's world-leading products, and with the right management it could eventually occupy one per cent of that market, or $500 million.
It's understood that there are already 40 Kimberley units operating in the US which former director Bruce Loxton helped sell during three brief visits in recent years.
Customers are said to be amazed by the quality of the product.

"It's the most advanced trailer built in the world,” the source said.

Here's one of the possibilities - a US buyer!

From the Lismore Northern Star today
EXCLUSIVE: American buyer keen to snap up Kimberley Kampers
Hamish Broome
by Hamish Broome
3rd Aug 2018 9:00 AM
Subscriber only

THE Kimberley Kampers story may be far from over as it emerges a US entity is gathering a team of investors to resurrect the company.
The mystery investors are connected to an American offshoot of the business, Kimberley USA, which last year signed a deal for exclusive, perpetual rights to sell, distribute and modify Kimberley products in North America.
The plan was to import semi-complete campervans to the US and then finish the manufacturing process at a plant in California.

"The amount of bad product here is unbelievable,” the source said.
"American RVs, the way they are built, if they go into a ditch the walls fall apart.”
The source said the $50 billion US RV market had a "wide, gaping” hole in it for Kimberley's world-leading products, and with the right management it could eventually occupy one per cent of that market, or $500 million.
It's understood that there are already 40 Kimberley units operating in the US which former director Bruce Loxton helped sell during three brief visits in recent years.
Customers are said to be amazed by the quality of the product.

"It's the most advanced trailer built in the world,” the source said.

That plan sounds similar to what Black Series Campers has done with their China/Australia/California deal.

I could not agree more with that last paragraph. U.S. builds campers from matchsticks and paper.

That is because the average camper buyer is a first time buyer and only looks at appears and never looks under the skin. They can't see spending 70K on a camper when they can get one twice the size and even has a blow dryer from mom for 30K.

Glad you mentioned Patriot. I do like their concept. My wish is that someone would take the Patriot design and 3D enlarge the box. Make the box big enough to fit a queen size mattress with room to sit up in bed. That means at least 60x80x48 inside with rear entry. It is already optioned with the Webasto Duo Top diesel heater and water heater. You then have the ability to sleep inside or out. If you take the kids and grandkids they can have the RTT and A frame annex. Storage can be arranged under the lift up bed. Yes you lose some storage space but a more comfortable sleeping arrangement for us older folks. Oh I can just imagine me and grandma with 2 more adults and 4 kids. Try doing that with a full size camper without getting in each other's way.

The way Patriot has setup the X1GT awning and attachments you can walk 270 degrees around under the awning. You can go from the RTT all the way around to the kitchen and bbq area shaded from the environment. Add sidewalls or screening and enjoy those rainy days without being cramped up in a tent. Grumpy kids can make a trip miserable.
Patriot X1GT Overhead View.JPG

Our grandkids are old enough now to be more independent and remember events happening now for the rest of their life. We have no desire to spend megabucks at some fantasy theme park for only temporary happiness. We want to be able to take our grandkids out to explore and learn and see the things we didn't get to see when we were kids. Entire summers can be fun learning events that will last a lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles