Hawkeye Rovi - an adventure Tundra build.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
NAME: Hawkeye Rovi (a combination of the FWC Hawk which is on order, and Rovi for Rovinaglia, a little personal tribute to my late Father named after his hometown village in Italy)
PURCHASED: June 2017 with 65K km's
YEAR: 2014
MAKE: Toyota
MODEL: Tundra TRD Off-Road Double Cab
ENGINE: iForce 5.7L V8
REAR DIFFERENTIAL: 4:30

FRONT SUSPENSION:
- ADS Racing 2.5" Coilovers w/remote adjustable reservoirs - 700 pound springs
- MCM Fab upper control arms (3"-4" height adjustable - currently set at appx 3")

REAR SUSPENSION:
- ADS Racing 2.5" shocks w/remote reservoirs and adjustable triple bypass
- Firestone Airbags w/Daystar cradles (air valves routed inside fuel filler door)
- OME Dakar leaf spring packs w/additional OME HD leaf installed
- Toyota TRD Anti-Sway bar

TIRES/WHEELS:
- Nitto Ridge Grapplers 295 75/18 on Method Double Standards, 18"
- 275 studded winters on the stock TRD rims for those nasty months

PROTECTION/RECOVERY:
- Wilco Offroad Offset Hitchgate w/duel MFC fuel can holders, horizontal Hi-Lift jack holder, and Maxtrax attachment
- Slee Offroad sliders
- Southern Style Offroad Hybrid Slimline bumper w/integrated light bar
- Smittybilt XRC 12000 winch w/synthetic line w/Factor 55 Prolink and Hawse fairlead
- ARB CKMA 12 compressor (mounted in engine bay)
- TRD Pro front grille and hood bulge (my one single addition purely for looks)-

CAMPER:
- 2017 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (ordered new and picked up January of 2018)
- dual burner stove, sink, 3-way fridge, furnace, 20 gallon fresh water tank, 6 gallon hot water tank, queen size bed, 2-person dinette (stays folded down for bed for 2 dogs), 160 watt permanent solar system, awning, and Thetford Curve porta-potti stowed in customized cabinet.

MISC STUFF/ADDITIONS:
- Delorme Inreach / Lenovo tablet w/offline Back Country Nav maps / Garmin gps w/road maps)
- SPOD switch control in upper console
- Rear seat removed and custom dog bed platform and storage cabinet installed
- Toyota Driver's side grab handle

37412524_10155380563771637_5132522748064563200_o.jpg37032731_10155366540901637_8268672764836052992_n.jpg20180704_135644 (002).jpg
-

Last edited:

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I had built up our previous rig (a 2007 Xterra Offroad) into a fairly capable "overland style" adventure rig. Over the 5 years we had it, she took us everywhere. I outfitted it with a rooftop tent. upgraded the suspension, tires/wheels, bumper, added a winch, 12v fridge, etc.....all the stuff one would need to get out there for awhile.

In the past year my Wife and I started conversing about where we see our adventures and expeditions taking us, looking honestly at where we saw ourselves wanting to travel in the next 10-15 years and how we wanted to get there. That caused us to hatch our grand scheme, and slowly put it into effect. We sold off our motorcycles, we sold the Xterra, we have the travel trailer prepped and ready to sell off in the spring......and we started our next avenue of adventure with the purchase of the Tundra. After looking really hard at what we thought would work best for us in a single all-inclusive package (and after 6 months of trying to locate a used one) we bit the bullet and have ordered a new Four Wheel Camper Hawk model to compliment the Tundra.

We like to camp, love to camp, and we equally love to get out and explore the roads less traveled. Our plans for this new build will include weekend trips to out of the way fishing lakes, longer one and two week (for now) adventure type trips on and off road (we are planning on driving to Tuk in the summer of 2018), along with the mandatory camping trips to the Oregon coast (which we seem to find ourselves returning to every 2-3 years) We have ordered up the Hawk camper in a format and wit hthe options that we feel will best suit our wants and needs. As with anything, their is always a bit of a learning curve, and I'm sure we will be changing out a thing or two and tweaking this and that as our travels progress and as we see what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
I'll be curious to see how you handle storage with the FWC and the cab of the Tundra. The wife and I were in a similar predicament and ended up ordering a cargo trailer that will be built into a travel trailer. There just wasn't enough storage with a truck + FWC for the 2 of us and 3 dogs.

zidaro

Explorer
Nice did! Look forward to seeing your journey and adventures along the way!
Head south, let's hook up and wheel n camp.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I'll be curious to see how you handle storage with the FWC and the cab of the Tundra. The wife and I were in a similar predicament and ended up ordering a cargo trailer that will be built into a travel trailer. There just wasn't enough storage with a truck + FWC for the 2 of us and 3 dogs.

I know that storage is going to be interesting. We have 10 years of motorcycle touring under our belts, and 5 years of touring in the Xterra (with 2 dogs) so I think I've learned a few lessons on how and what to pack (and equally important, what not to pack). Each year we seem to shrink the crap we haul along by a good percentage.
I currently have the rear seats folded up, and have made a dog platform for our pooches, with storage under it. I am going to remove the rear seats completely, and build storage into the space previously occupied by their stowage. I'm pretty sure we will have to invest in the Thule Rocketbox type rooftop container for some trips. It will surely be a learning process, but we are up for it.

epicxcrider

Observer
Great build! I'm going a similar direction with my Tundra. Anything you'd change if you had to do it over? How did your power and mileage suffer on the highway after going to larger tires? Do you like the 700 lb springs? I'll be installing the same bumper, winch, and similar sliders.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Great build! I'm going a similar direction with my Tundra. Anything you'd change if you had to do it over? How did your power and mileage suffer on the highway after going to larger tires? Do you like the 700 lb springs? I'll be installing the same bumper, winch, and similar sliders.

The ADS Racing stuff is most likely overkill for my application, but I had the funding available and wanted something to handle the hundreds of miles of washboard type roads we travel. I will be going to a true 35" tire next time. Just that little bit more rubber to play with. Power hasn't been an issue at all, put your foot down and that fantastic 5.7 just pushes you ahead. I can climb long highway mountain grades at pretty much whatever speed I want. I tend to take it slow and easy, but it is comforting knowing you have power on tap if/when you need to get out and pass a line of trucks or rv's or something.
Mileage on our trip to the Arctic averaged out at around 12mpg, over the whole 8500km's. I was happy with that, when we are traveling I think of our set-up more like an rv and compare it to what other rv's would get, mileage wise.
The Slee Sliders are heavy, really heavy. But I figured so is the truck and for true protection it was worth the added weight. I can easily jack the truck/camper up from the sliders if need be.

If I was doing it all over again, I would go for a different front bumper. A more all inclusive one with better approach angles..... possibly even an aluminum one to save weight up front. The SSO hybrid bumper is great, and functional and when I bought it I wanted to keep the stock look. It was a real pita to install though, and I think I'd go a different route next time.....or possibly even at some point down the road.

I haven't had a single truck failure so far. I did have an issue with a rubber cv boot ripping and the subsequant Toyota dealer replacement got messed up by them causing me some aggravation in the Yukon, but that wasn't a fault of the truck itself. I also "neglected" to torque a wheel on day and it almost fell of as i was driving down the highway. That little snafu cost me a brake caliper, but again it wasn't a fault of the truck.

I'm just re-impressed every time I hop in the Tundra and take it for a spin. It has gobs of power, great brakes, very comfortable and adjustable seats (for me anyways), and more than enough room in the cab to stretch out and enjoy long drives.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Is your fuel mileage including compensation for the larger tires? You might be a bit better than 12mpg.

I had a 2016 Tundra with 2016 FWC Hawk it had the 2.5 Resi Icons and custom deaver leaf springs. Always rolling about 2,000lbs over stock weight. Kept stock size tires but with the forged alloy "rock warrior wheels" with fake rings removed (light weight) with stock size Ko2 Tires. It averaged 16 mpg with the camper - tracked every mile and calculated mpg (not computer). Just kept cruise speed at 60-65mph. So this setup with careful throttle use can be rather respectable. Drove over 50k miles in just over 1 year.

epicxcrider

Observer
The ADS Racing stuff is most likely overkill for my application, but I had the funding available and wanted something to handle the hundreds of miles of washboard type roads we travel. I will be going to a true 35" tire next time. Just that little bit more rubber to play with. Power hasn't been an issue at all, put your foot down and that fantastic 5.7 just pushes you ahead. I can climb long highway mountain grades at pretty much whatever speed I want. I tend to take it slow and easy, but it is comforting knowing you have power on tap if/when you need to get out and pass a line of trucks or rv's or something.
Mileage on our trip to the Arctic averaged out at around 12mpg, over the whole 8500km's. I was happy with that, when we are traveling I think of our set-up more like an rv and compare it to what other rv's would get, mileage wise.
The Slee Sliders are heavy, really heavy. But I figured so is the truck and for true protection it was worth the added weight. I can easily jack the truck/camper up from the sliders if need be.

If I was doing it all over again, I would go for a different front bumper. A more all inclusive one with better approach angles..... possibly even an aluminum one to save weight up front. The SSO hybrid bumper is great, and functional and when I bought it I wanted to keep the stock look. It was a real pita to install though, and I think I'd go a different route next time.....or possibly even at some point down the road.

I haven't had a single truck failure so far. I did have an issue with a rubber cv boot ripping and the subsequant Toyota dealer replacement got messed up by them causing me some aggravation in the Yukon, but that wasn't a fault of the truck itself. I also "neglected" to torque a wheel on day and it almost fell of as i was driving down the highway. That little snafu cost me a brake caliper, but again it wasn't a fault of the truck.

I'm just re-impressed every time I hop in the Tundra and take it for a spin. It has gobs of power, great brakes, very comfortable and adjustable seats (for me anyways), and more than enough room in the cab to stretch out and enjoy long drives.
That's awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. Any comments on the Hawk size wize? I have a crewmax and am trying to decide between the hawk and raven. Raven would fit the truck better, but the Hawk seems to be just the right interior size.

Watt maker

I somehow just found this build, very nice! I'm hoping to outfit my Tundra much like yours in order to take it on some longer camping trips in the future.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
That's awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. Any comments on the Hawk size wize? I have a crewmax and am trying to decide between the hawk and raven. Raven would fit the truck better, but the Hawk seems to be just the right interior size.
The Hawk is a great size for the 2 of us, and our 2 dogs. I know the "correct" size camper for the CM would be the Raven, but I've seen guys pit a Hawk on and leave the tailgate down. I knew the size camper I wanted first and picked the truck to accommodate it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

epicxcrider

Observer
Thanks for the replies and the advice, we put a deposit on a Hawk (found the perfect one in a showroom!) along with full OME BP-51 suspension and airbags. Will see how it goes with the crewmax and trade for a DC if we don't like it down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94