HazVan - 2002 E-350 SuperDuty 7.3l PSD

turbodiesel

Refreshed the ball joints in the front axle. The top ball joints were original and totally shot. Not hard to replace if you're already tearing the axle down. Which you basically are required to inorder to do the replacement.

Replaced with Moog ball joints as I don't want to ever tear this axle down again.

Pro tip for installing the ball joints, they get installed in the same order they are removed. Remove bottom ball joint, then top, then install bottom ball joint, and install top. (Picture here is upside down)

Last edited:

turbodiesel

Diff regear continues as well. Disassembled the old pinion and removed the gear from the carrier. Awaiting a shop press to finish the assembly. Highly recommend a 12" brass drift for getting pieces out. Next to impossible with a 6" or 7" drift.

turbodiesel

Dialed in the preload for the pinion at 10-12 in/lbs. With the old bearing as a setup bearing. Replacing that should bring it up to spec in the 20-25 in/lbs range. It's amazing how a few hundredths in shims makes a huge difference.

Carrier is up next.

Last edited:

turbodiesel

Long time but finally back to the van. Removed the front and have the front axle mostly out together. Going to replace the oil cooler o rings while I have great access. Then it's time to install the axle.

Last edited:

Tifun

Looking forward to this install. It’s high in the list of wants. I have a set of axles available from a friend if I wanted to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbodiesel

The old frontend. Anyone need a replacement 2002 E350 frontend. Brakes, rotors, tie rod ball joints all have less than 10k on them.

Last edited:

turbodiesel

Had to modify/weld a new fuel pump bracket. Just took the old one, ground a groove on it, bent it ninety degrees and welded it. 15 minute fix. Not the prettiest weld, but should be fine for the fuel pump.

Last edited:

Vandiesel

Where are you and the parts located? I need them to fix up a van I donated to a charity that they use to pickup food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbodiesel

Got the radius brackets mostly done. Need to get a shorter drill bit so I can drill the last three holes. Even with a right angle drill I didn't have any bits that were short enough.

Last edited:

CaptainBuilt

Make sure you have the right torque spec for the rear pinion nut. Mine backed off and caused havoc.

I have a ARB Air locker RD165 (I think), that I'll sell you cheap. Just needs a new O ring seal thingy.

turbodiesel

Make sure you have the right torque spec for the rear pinion nut. Mine backed off and caused havoc.

I have a ARB Air locker RD165 (I think), that I'll sell you cheap. Just needs a new O ring seal thingy.
Good call I should double check that before installing the axle. I'll pm you about the locker