HDPE plastic

01tundra

Explorer
My boat-sides are 1/8" dimple die steel backing plates with 1/2" UHMW skids and they've taken a beating for the past 3 years with no problem at all. I've had the entire weight of the truck land hard on them against rocks and all I ever get are superficial scratches on the UHMW. It's all that and some :).

UHMW-1.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I called to check on the price and I was wrong it is $73 still not bad.

Still a lot cheaper than 3/16" aluminum, $400++ for a 4'x8' sheet. Been looking for a similar solution for my Suburban for some time. Have a design to add a 'second skin' with just a bit of space. Non load bearing, just something to take the initial hit of road debris. That big poly tank just hangs there, nearly flush with the bottom of the frame rails.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I've thought about skinning my aluminum skid plates with UHMW to make them slippery - how thin could I go when it is fully supported like that?

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
Just for reference HDPE and UHMW are not the same thing. They are both derivatives of polyethylene, but their material characteristics should be chosen according to use. Not mentioned in the link below is that UHMW has higher lubricity and wear resistance. Another consideration, if the idea is to bind this to metal somehow, is differing rates of thermal expansion. The mounting method should allow for relative movement. Adhesives would be best, but I'm not aware of one that bonds polyethylene well. My choice for this would be UHMW.

http://www.boedeker.com/polye_p.htm

I would suggest that a better alternative to UHMW might be this material: https://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/King-Hy-Pact-Literature.pdf

Last edited:

brp

Observer
I was reading this thread and thought of synthetic ice, basically plastic sheets for skating on that are designed to be slippery. I beleive most are HDPE. Anyway, my local Craigslist has used 4’x8’ sheets of up to 3/4” thick for $100.

I would think, but don’t know for sure, that 3/4” would not need much for a steel frame behind it.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I have made many Baja bug and sand rail skid plates out of used street signs from county road department. Very durable and very light weight , cuts very well with a jigsaw.

Mickey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior