Heading to Hawaii….what to do with my ‘13 LR4 HD?

LR4XFAR

SCLR member 2013 LR4 HD
So, the wife and I are moving to Hawaii for awhile. I looked into shipping the LR vs storage or selling. Dealers network/ service seems to be a bit rough on Oahu. Shipping is about $1800 and $800 back plus the potential hassles and delays. I am willing to buy a vehicle on the island and will likely come back in 6- 12 months or so.

Not a lot of trails that I would need this for. And if we island hop, we’d need to ship the truck too.

Would you sell or transfer over? Storage seems pretty pricey as well here in Los Angeles.

Is now the time to sell a well sorted offroad vehicle? I know, no one has a crystal ball. I used to think it was worth about 25k, now, not so sure in the current market. Unfortunately,

2013 with HD and Vision Assist cameras
Warn zeon 10s Platinum winch on the front
18” Compomotives with new KO2s (incl spare)
Traxide dual battery kit with Two Odyssey extreme batteries
Full aluminum skid plates
Steel sliders
Front Runner roof rack
AluCab tent and Awning
Renogy 160w flexible panel with MPPT controller with bluetooth
4 green MaxTraxx with mounts on top of the tent
ARB fridge
137k with all following system maintenance at 100k
cooling system plastics (all) replaced
all fluids changed and HD lower control arms
some scratches, no dents

If you are in the market, near Los Angeles, feel free to reach out. I’d be interested in your feedback.
Not committed to selling, but willing…

073AC24F-DFC6-45F5-92BE-DB30CA0407EE.jpeg

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
IMO the market is as hot as it’s ever gonna be for these trucks. If you won’t miss it when you come back, sell it. I think $20k is a good number for your truck w the mileage on it, maybe a little more.

Put it on cars and bids, it’ll see for that easily.

LR4XFAR

SCLR member 2013 LR4 HD
I appreciate the time to reply. Good call on CarsandBids. I’ll check out the completed auctions.

I realized that I had a typo on the mileage….it’s actually 127k at the moment. Not really significant. I have gotten my oil checked the last two oil changes which I shared here on EP. Below average metal counts, so I’m comfortable with the engine’s condition. .

I’ll probably just take it to Hawaii. ?

MarcusBrody

If I were you, I'd just take it to Hawaii. The costs you mention in shipping are basically going to be eaten in transaction costs of buying a new vehicle when you get to Hawaii and then when you come back. If you buy a similar cost car (25k) when you get there and when you get back (after selling the HI vehicle), you're looking at ~3000 just in sales tax. That basically makes shipping a wash (even if you buy a cheaper car in HI) and that's not counting other fees/the hassle/potential depreciation in the HI car if the market gets less crazy. So i would ship it.

On the other hand, if you need someone to keep it for a year and drive it around southern NV just to keep all the fluids circulating, feel free to drop it off at my place. :)

Toyaddict

Have you thought about selling it when you leave Hawaii? I've often read that the market for cars on the islands is pretty hot under normal circumstances. Is it possible you could recoup most if not all of your associated costs by doing this and have a vehicle you know and trust to drive during your sray? Not having to buy and register a vehicle while there seems like a huge bonus to me.

Reactions: plh

LR4XFAR

SCLR member 2013 LR4 HD
I had thought of that. If the premium covered the freight over, that would be nice. Not many LR4s for sale to compare and not sure if all of the offroad equipment would add value. Guess I could sell that before leaving.
Thanks for the suggestion! Maybe I could call the Rover dealer in Honolulu and get their opinion.

gabrielef

I’d just keep it. Getting back to a similarly equipped, sought after year and optioned LR4 just isn’t worth it. I have 2 LR4’s and an LR3, so if you need a place to store yours, NorCal is happy to accommodate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
Have you thought about selling it when you leave Hawaii? I've often read that the market for cars on the islands is pretty hot under normal circumstances. Is it possible you could recoup most if not all of your associated costs by doing this and have a vehicle you know and trust to drive during your sray? Not having to buy and register a vehicle while there seems like a huge bonus to me.

Best answer

Mako1114

Adventurer
Assuming you shipped it over to HI; I wonder if it would be safe to pack surfboards, mountain bikes or other gear in it for the journey?

Cheers

Pangle

Wanderer
As someone that lives in Hawaii (Big Island) I would def say for you to bring it over with you. The used and new vehicle market here is insane and many of the used vehicles get damaged, fixed, damaged, fixed and so on. Everything costs more here, parts, shipping, labor everything. If you you are happy with the vehicle I would def bring it over and enjoy it on island. Plenty of places for you to explore. Only one major downside is the cost of fuel, and maybe the tight quarters on Oahu, lots of traffic etc.

Arktikos

Explorer
Assuming you shipped it over to HI; I wonder if it would be safe to pack surfboards, mountain bikes or other gear in it for the journey?

Cheers
Not allowed. Vehicle must be empty. The problem with sending it over and then selling when you leave is that it could be difficult to coordinate a timely sale when you're ready to bail. I'd try to sell in LA first. If you can't get a decent price, then the decision to ship it becomes easier.

Last edited:

OregonGX

I wouldn't try to answer the immediate question, I would ask what your long-term goals are for the truck. My LR3 HD I own outright and don't plan on selling as I have so many memories of building it and taking my sons offroading.

If I were in your shoes and it was only 6-12 months I would likely find a fellow rover nut to store the car for you and save the shipping costs, wear and tear of island life, then buy something for the island that you could flip for what you paid for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier