Heating an Ambulance Box

Coachgeo

Explorer
Being that this is WINTER.. I've been diving into parts collecting for interior heat. Have in mind a multi fuel... mix time of day heat system

. Multi fuel (wood and light oils) Tent heater for when camped and can keep eyes on it..... Can also be used outside if wanted if install it into the works right. Question down below on this

. Diesel Fired Coolant heater..... AKA.. poor mans Webasto / Espar. 8,000 BTU one setting. 15,000 BTU other. Will either heat floor or do heater cores and fan. This will be Coolant heat Loop Ambulance. Will also have Coolant heat loop Pre-heat Engine and cab. Plan is to plumb each loop so coolant heater can warm one or the other; OR both.

* So question on Multi fuel burner??? like linked above. There are two options..... one is max around 8,0000 BTU I think....... and other is 15,0000 to 25,000. They are about $100 in price difference. Which do yo recommend for a 14.5 foot Ambo Box with no changes to OEM insulation. (nicer box made by PL Bodies) I am NOT adding windows. Will just use exterior cameras.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
How cold are your winters? Windy or calm?

Boxes tend to be well insulated... cabs have little to none. This isn't a big issue here where 'cold winter' is arround freezing. I've got an electric 'kick space' heater to heat the back from shore or inverter power.

Coachgeo

Explorer
How cold are your winters? Windy or calm?

Boxes tend to be well insulated... cabs have little to none. This isn't a big issue here where 'cold winter' is around freezing. I've got an electric 'kick space' heater to heat the back from shore or inverter power.
it is 19F outside. Though that temps that low only shows up for a few weeks a year total. Will get below zero her later this week. But then again.. my only true long vacation falls.... when those temps fall too (pardon the pun)

Cab is separate from Ambo Box in my situation. Installing Coolant (diesel fired ) heater for pre-heating of engine and cab.

Coachgeo

Explorer
....* So question on Multi fuel burner??? like linked above. There are two options..... one is (STARTS) around 8,0000 BTU I think....... and other is 15,0000 to 25,000. They are about $100 in price difference. Which do yo recommend for a 14.5 foot Ambo Box with no changes to OEM insulation. (nicer box made by PL Bodies) I am NOT adding windows. Will just use exterior cameras.
Coleman's just got some in some SAH and were cheaper than those on ebay and craigslist so I ordered one. Also discovered the SAH was only one of the more modern that had the solid (wood etc) fuel option and that is what I will probably use the most sooooo.... That is what I'm getting. Thinking on seeing if I can have a hopper made like those used on Rocket stoves. That way can stand a short log up in it.... and just let it burn down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oiiyJ4rjOw
Hunter SHA video

cocina-cohete-rocket-stove-totalmente-desarmable-more-best-fire-pits-wood-stoves-places-images-on-pinterest-eccfddfead.jpg

example of a Wood hopper branching out of the burn chamber.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd look at what is being used in vans... Ambulances are a bit bigger, but they're better insulated. So it'll give you a good idea.

The other consideration is how quickly you'd like to bring it up to temperature and how warm you're shooting for. You'll need much less if you're ok with sleeping under a down duvet than sitting around in shorts.

At the ski hill we sat in the insulated Ambo to warm up. With 2 adults and 2 kids, it quickly became much warmer inside than the below freezing weather outside. It was warm enough to remove gloves & boots... but not coats. All without any heat... at 6am it'd be a whole different story. But keep in mind snow caves can be reasonably warm.

flightcancled

Explorer
Use a diesel fired air heater aka bunk heater or cabin heater. I wrestled with this question forever. It's really the best way to go. Dropped mine in the space under the Tech seat.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Well I've settled on the combination of diesel fired coolant heater and the SHA for wood burning or waste oils*. Another advantage with SHA is can take it outside under awning to if wanted.

*Wood burned in SHA 99% of the time till I get my trailer built that will house an Alt. fuel processing set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles