HECO roof lift fixes

andytruck

Observer
So, first, I know my trailer is not exactly off-road worthy, but I seem to find more knowledge on this forum than others where mostly people just like to express whatever opinion comes into their mind suddenly at time of reading vs actually having useable knowledge. I am looking for quality, useable knowledge, not opinions, so thanks.

I have a Sun-Lite trailer from 1993 that has a lift roof mechanism that runs on a rack and pinion track called the Heco. It relies on torsion springs in the poles to help lift the roof so there is not so much torque on the gear driving the track lift.
Either someone re-clocked the torsion bars wrong and weaker (maybe took it apart and did not pre-tension the spring), or the spring has just lost it's flavor that much. I did turn the torsion bar one click (60 degrees) myself but was limited because 1. it was all I could do to push it that much, and 2. there was no room to move the bars out more. This helped a little bit, but not enough.

I can still lift the roof, but there is considerable stress on the little 10-tooth gear and I always fear the next lift will be the last.
Ideally these roofs should float naturally just above the fully closed position via the torsion bar springs setting.

I have been thinking for months about a fix.

Has anyone actually fixed one of these?

My current fix idea is to add a coil tension spring along the length of the track on either side to help pull the two pivot points together. These being one stationary pivot at the end of the track next to the wall and the moving pivot point that moves along the track. The track of course if mirror image on either side, left and right.

This spring will help pull the track along taking stress off the rack and pinion system.

So
1. I am having to guess what strength spring to use.
150 lbs, 200 lbs??? 50lbs??

2 of has someone done a better fix?

If you have not worked with this roof system then I understand you have no idea what I am talking about or will not have any idea how to help, so Im looking for help more than opinions - thanks

rogersdan

So, first, I know my trailer is not exactly off-road worthy, but I seem to find more knowledge on this forum than others where mostly people just like to express whatever opinion comes into their mind suddenly at time of reading vs actually having useable knowledge. I am looking for quality, useable knowledge, not opinions, so thanks.

I have a Sun-Lite trailer from 1993 that has a lift roof mechanism that runs on a rack and pinion track called the Heco. It relies on torsion springs in the poles to help lift the roof so there is not so much torque on the gear driving the track lift.
Either someone re-clocked the torsion bars wrong and weaker (maybe took it apart and did not pre-tension the spring), or the spring has just lost it's flavor that much. I did turn the torsion bar one click (60 degrees) myself but was limited because 1. it was all I could do to push it that much, and 2. there was no room to move the bars out more. This helped a little bit, but not enough.

I can still lift the roof, but there is considerable stress on the little 10-tooth gear and I always fear the next lift will be the last.
Ideally these roofs should float naturally just above the fully closed position via the torsion bar springs setting.

My current fix idea is to add a coil tension spring along the length of the track on either side to help pull the two pivot points together. These being one stationary pivot at the end of the track next to the wall and the moving pivot point that moves along the track. The track of course if mirror image on either side, left and right.

This spring will help pull the track along taking stress off the rack and pinion system.

So

If you have not worked with this roof system then I understand you have no idea what I am talking about or will not have any idea how to help, so Im looking for help more than opinions - thanks

So

Andytruck,

I have the same problem - although self inflicted. The rear of my camper corner was rotted and the rear mounting brackets were torqued and almost through the roof. I repaired the corners with angle iron and remounted the brackets although I made no effort to "pretension" them. The roof is very hard to raise and I'm afraid that the cranking system will break. I noticed in your post that the internal rods on your system may have been "un-clocked." My question - how should the internal rods be retensioned? I imagine that the closing of the roof creates a tension that is the force that helps raise the roof - but I don't know how to reposition the rods or the brackets. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Dan

Mnbogboy

Read somewhere a while back about a guy who contacted heco direct. They explained to him how to set the two torsion bars with some of the linkage disconnected. And then using the heco frame parts as leverage to load the torsion bars and reconnect the linkage. This is all done with the roof in up position. I had rotten boards in my Palomino where the torsion bars "twisted" out the bad would and weakens the lifting.
If I remember right the torsion bar has about somewhere between 15 & 60 degrees of preload (can't remember). Disconnecting the linkage allows you to get close to no load.
Make sure the roof is blocked up properly before you disconnect any linkage. Do not disconnect the torsion bar mount at the roof brackets until the pressure is relieved on the hooped bar.
Haven't done it for years but hope this helps.
My .02,
Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste