Hella 4000: Free Form vs Euro Beam

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I'm familiar with the Hella 4000 Euro beams; I had a pair of them on my previous truck. But what about the new Hella 4000 FF (Free Form)? I can't seem to find info on the beam pattern for the Free Form model.

I do notice that the glass on the Free Form is clear whereas the Euro has the traditional cut/shaped glass lens. Is the Free Form model the new and improved driving pattern?

bjowett

Adventurer
The free form is available in several beam patterns. I'll have to look and see what part numbers are what... they have a euro/driving beam. I'm not sure how much better it is over the older cut glass models, which they still sell.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
kevins 4000 compacts are FF. my HIDX are also FFs

i would get the FF over the older design

The FF uses a clear smooth lens that blocks less light compare to the cut/shaped lens allowing more light output from the same wattage bulb.
the beam pattern is also more even and uniformed by molding the cone then trying to bend light with the cut/shaped lens.

did hella come out with a true 4000 FF? last time i checked it wasnt out yet. it came out for the 4000 compacts first

JohnMcD348

Observer
From nearly everything I've read and been told, the FF lights are simply a redesign of the old lights. Instead of the lens being used to focus the light, it is done by the reflector instead. This allows a clearer light with the same wattage.

Heimz

Observer
Ive got 2 4000FF's for euro beams, and 2 for pencils and Im quite happy with em. One day Ill get around to converting them to HID but for now they are plenty.

rover4x4

Adventurer
I had Eurobeam 4000's before the FF 4000, imo the Eurobeam blows the FF out of the water. I have been completely unhappy with the FF, I even put a higher wattage bulb in them.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'm thinking of adding 4 Rallye 4000 halogen's(2 euro, 2 pencil) up on my roof rack, and 2 euro below on my brush guard.
Can you guys offer some more feedback on your 4000's, if you've liked them or not, if you've used others in the past which were better, or have recently seen better than the 4000's?

(I plan on installing some of the new PIAA Night-Tech bulbs if I seen an improvement in my G's headlights with them--should arrive in a few days.
I'd love the 4000 Xenon's, but not at $500/ea!)

TIA,
Jeremy

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Resurrecting an old post I happened to find via a Google search (I had forgotten I was looking at these long ago for my gray G-Wagen).

Anyone recently running Hella Rallye 4000 (Euro H1/100W or Cornering H1/100W), or Rallye 4000FF (Driving H1/55W), or Rallye 3000 (Driving H1/55W)?
If so, how do you like them?
Have you replaced the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs for better output and hue?

Thanks in advance.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have a pair of hella 4000, in driving and cornering I think. Haven’t ran them in years, too much work to get them to fit. Never upgraded the bulbs, the reflection off of street signs was already blinding.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I have a pair of hella 4000, in driving and cornering I think. Haven’t ran them in years, too much work to get them to fit. Never upgraded the bulbs, the reflection off of street signs was already blinding.

Thanks for the feedback. They are pretty deep.

A few videos for anyone else searching;
Driving/Euro vs Pencil;

Driving/Euro vs Pencil vs others;

Driving/Euro vs Cornering;

After more research, looks like I might go with 700FF (if they fit on my application) since they're so dirt cheap comparatively (will swap H3 55W bulbs for TheRetrofitSource LED bulbs);

PS--odd 2 of the videos aren't populating here, click on the Watch on YouTube text.
PPS--I have a trio of BajaDesigns LP9 on my F350, and if the application warrants them, they're by far the best big LED lights I've used thus far.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hey J,

Hah, l remember reading this tread !

I have a pair of the 4000 (not compact or FF), think they called driving. Bought them 10 yo or so from summit. Clear lens with a 2nd running light bulb. Think H1 100w. Work fine for me. Don't run at night much but invaluable when I do, on highway or off. Works good for returning the favour to those guys who won't dip their led light bars too !

I like the look, old school. Best part, the mount is very solid, little to no vibration. Easy to adjust aim. And can buy a clear rock cover/shield. Which I use and love.

ON EDIT further inspection I think mine are prob 4000FF "driving". Definitely H1 55w, which are plenty bright enough.
Good luck with your shopping.

Haha, we're OG's! :)

Ok, so the Driving with Position light as they call it.
Great feedback, thx!
After finding out how comparatively inexpensive the 700FF's are, and they're also not as deep, I'm going to look at them first. A bit less bright overall vs the 4000's, but easily less than 1/3 the price, and for this project, that will satisfice(I'm learning! :)).

Stitebunny

Adventurer
I have the Rallye 4000 hid pencil beams and they are insane.
Can anyone speak to how the halogen version compares?
And does anyone have experience with the 4000 fog pattern?
That is what I am currently looking into.
I would like some good fog lights for the upcoming winter/ski season.

billiebob

The USA is entering a new era, what has been legal in Europe for 10 years is just being allowed into the USA..... there will be a few growing pains but i'll bet brand names like Hella will only sell the best products we allow.

This is a dramatic change for us in lighting.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I try Hella hard not to drive at night. Miss too much scenery. I do like my 4000s for when I do drive at night. Backed up with a pair of inexpensive HIDs.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thx all. Stitebunny I haven't found any videos showing 4000 Fog real life output, and the beam pattern shown on the Hella site is so short I worry it wouldn't be enough light output onto the road for me. I have BajaDesigns SquadronPro in Amber/WideCornering(Fog) on my truck, they're about 1/6th the size of the Hella 4000, and they're damn bright for a smaller lamp. Also have Baja XL-80's in White/DrivingCombo which are even brighter, so if those were in Amber/WideCornering and used as fog lights, even more output! (*Note both are LED look, so if you're looking for a vintage non-LED look like I am in this thread, the Baja's wouldn't be a good fit).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz