Hella 4000 Rallye - Xenon, Halogen and LED questions

badfysh

Adventurer
Recently had a Hella 4000 Rallye Xenon ballast went out on my RRC. There are aftermarket options, but I dont like the non-standrad capability of them when rebuilding. I dont want a mixed bag of tricks with less than OEM seals etc. I'm sort of picky about these things. I'd rather spend more and get a full solution, off the shelf or designed for application as opposed to DIY upgrade type solution. sooo....

I've been looking at options. I want to stay with a 8-9" round light for the look (bumper and roof rack designed aroudn this style).

There are now Hella 4000 LED (blue ring) ~$500-600ea retail although I have seen them as low as $375 - maybe black friday? Hella 4000 LED

There are also Hella 4000 Rallye LED that can be retorfit into the 4000 Metal housing ( ui have a whole bunch of those lying around) ~$200ea Hella Rallye 4000 LED

I am curious if anyone has done the retrofit option and if anyone has any comparison to the actual 4000 LED (blue ring). I assuem the blue ring are brighter, but double the price? I could also sell all my Hella Rallye Xenon (I have 6) and all my Hella Rallye Metal Halogen (I have too many to count) and upgrade to whatever works best.

2003 Land Rover Discovery with SD Rack and RTE bumper and a 1995 RRC with Tactical Rovers Bumper ARB Rack.

Candlepower forum has an automotive section dedicated just for this type of questions. It is run by experts in automotive lighting and is not marred by marketing hype. Answers backed up by real science and not perceived perceptions.

Jacobm

Candlepower forum has good information, but keep in mind that they are VERY strict on following regulations/laws/OEM specifications. I'm not sure how much you'll gain by going there unless you want information about complying with those various laws and regulations.

Baja Designs LP9 and LP6 seem to be the go-to option for round LED lights these days. I believe Rigid makes a 6" round but nothing quite as big as a 8-9". Lightforce is also a well known and trusted name, mostly for their HID lights.

jbaucom

Candlepower forum has good information, but keep in mind that they are VERY strict on following regulations/laws/OEM specifications.
As they should be if we're talking about lighting to be used on public roads where others are present. They're an excellent resource if you're looking for street legal auxiliary lighting, and if you're looking for off road lighting, just say so and they're a good source of information for that as well. If you're looking to run off road lights on public roads, they're less accommodating.

badfysh

Adventurer
Fortunately, I didn't specify any of the issues listed above in reference to candlepower (on road, off road, etc.)

I'm only interested in the differences between two versions of one brand of products.

Hella 4000 LED vs. Hella Rallye 4000 LED insert conversion. It's light to light comparison. I only mention vehicle in reference to looks to be clear I won't be switching to a light bar etc.

If I switch brands, I'll go LP9 Racer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior