Helmets: DS or Full Face?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
For those of you guys that log lots of miles at highway speeds, do you prefer to wear a DS helmet or a full face or modular helmet? I've only worn a DS helmet on one trip and it wasn't very comfy at 75mph. Head checking was exciting.

More and more of my riding buddies doing huge trips are wearing modular full face helmets.

Thoughts?

sandalscout

Adventurer
When I first starting riding a little over two years ago, I quickly upgraded from a full face helmet to a modular. I love it, it's very easy to communicate with it on, I can get it on and off over my glasses.

I was recently given one of the 1st generation Fly Trekker D/S helmets. The first generation models were crude, distorted lenses, chin strap way too far back, etc. I still gave it a shot a few times. I thought that the visor was too narrow to be very effective, and it was uncomfortable over 65mph, especially when turning my head. I can see that the abilities to wear goggles would be convenient, air flow in the summer was extremely nice, but overall, I don't ride aggressively enough to justify using one.

I plan on replacing my modular next year (3 year mark) and I am 99% sure I'll be getting another modular. I went on a week long trip this summer with a buddy, me in my modular, he in a full face. He said he's planning on getting a modular before our next big trip. It'd nice to flip it open to get air, chat, and you don't look like a storm trooper when you pull up to the pump.

Clutch

<---Pass
DS as in dual sport?

I do not trust modular helmets, convenience doesn't mean safer...yeah, I know they are DOT/Snell approved, if it opens easily it has a chance of opening in a crash.

I own both street and offroad (MX) helmets...so depending on the terrain determines which helmet I grab. A good compromise between the two is the Shoei DS, if you can only afford one helmet, get that one. If you're doing a lot of off-road pull the shield, and use goggles....more street, pull the visor. I have couple buddies that leave them be no matter the terrain, but I find in an off road situation the inside of the shield gets dusty quick and not enough air flow for my liking.

Not all helmets are created equal, yes they all have to meet safety standards, but you pay more for better fit, airflow, and other features.

58256_H_SH355_MW400.jpg

Last edited:

SilverBullet

Explorer
I ride with a modular every day, slow or highway. The ride is great. As for long highway speeds, you might consider a one piece full face for noise reduction.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That makes perfect sense, Kermit. I was an early adapter to the Modular helmet when I lived in Paris and rode a Ducati Monster. It was nice to be able to flip up the chin bar in hot, slow traffic or at toll booths, gas stations, etc. For long highway miles I just wonder how taxing that visor would be. Just curious.

Clutch

<---Pass
That makes perfect sense, Kermit. I was an early adapter to the Modular helmet when I lived in Paris and rode a Ducati Monster. It was nice to be able to flip up the chin bar in hot, slow traffic or at toll booths, gas stations, etc. For long highway miles I just wonder how taxing that visor would be. Just curious.

Yeah, just pull the visor off.

I know guys love those modular helmets, I will never own one. A good question to ask oneself...will that flip-up chin bar, open if one hits the slab at 75 mph...

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Yeah, just pull the visor off.

I know guys love those modular helmets, I will never own one. A good question to ask oneself...will that flip-up chin bar, open if one hits the slab at 75 mph...
I just ordered a new Schuberth modular. They invented modular helmets 25 years ago. With 70 years of helmet manufacturing including helmets used for F1 racing, I trust their testing. I do agree with you that some modulars as super sketchy with what appears to be weak latches. I do trust Schuberth, though. I'm a protection skeerdy cat. I ride head to toe in the best protection I can afford.

Clutch

<---Pass
I just ordered a new Schuberth modular. They invented modular helmets 25 years ago. With 70 years of helmet manufacturing including helmets used for F1 racing, I trust their testing. I do agree with you that some modulars as super sketchy with what appears to be weak latches. I do trust Schuberth, though. I'm a protection skeerdy cat. I ride head to toe in the best protection I can afford.

Yeah, I am usually the odd man out when it comes to that style of helmet. (No biggie ;)) As with anything, pick what is right for you.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have a Shoei Hornet DS and it is very comfortable on the street, albeit a bit hot when stopped in high temps. I'll be spending next summer in SE Utah and plan on getting some goggles to use when offroad.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I Had an Arai XD3 and currently have an AFX39. Both helmets flow air well and have a great field of vision. To me, those are two of the biggest benefits of DS helmets. The visor/peak on the XD did a good job of blocking the sun. The AFX, not so much. Since I'm not concerned about roost, if the visor cant block the sun it is useless to me. It seems other than the XD, most visors are for show.
But the XD visor also gave me issues at speed to the point i really couldnt take it on long trips. That was a shame because it fit better than any helmet i've owned. So it got sold. In hindsight, I wish I
Kept it and just removed the visor/peak.

My plan with the AFX is to remove the visor and add the external sun shield. It isnt near as nice as the XD, but I will have a nice airy summer helmet with a good field of vision. But I still feel my Scorpion 500 with the internal sunshade is a better overall helmet and wear that except on the hottest days.

sandalscout

Adventurer
The AFX, not so much.

I actually have an AFX 37, which is the same as the Fly Trekker I referenced. It's a shame that the visor is still largely ineffective in the newest version.

CycleGear has recently released a D/S helmet that has similar features of the AFX, but has a built in sun shade.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I saw the thread about the Cycle Ger helmet on ADVrider. I was actually waffling between the AFX and the GMax DS helmet. In hindsight, I wish I had tried the GMax, but I went with the AFX since I had tried one on and it seemed like a more known quantity. The GMax supposedly is decent at blocking the sun. But if those external sunshields for the AFX ever get back in stock, that should work well.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I used to pretty much love my Shoei DS - right up until the whole visor/beak/whateveryoucallit ripped off going down the freeway. No comment on how fast I was going - but my 800GS had lower than stock gearing when it happened (so I wasn't going *that* fast). The guys behind me just saw plastic flying everywhere. Kind of annoying to have that expensive of a helmet disintegrate at sub 100mph speeds.

I'm not sure what I'll replace it with - but until it happens, an old RF1000 is doing the job.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
A vote for a modular helmet. The advantages, to my mind, are too great to ignore. No pulling off and trying to wrangle your helmet--which in my case fell on the ground way too often--to talk to people. I'll even leave it on when making a quick trip into a store. And if you wear glasses or sunglasses, it seems to me that the modular has it all over the full-face and dual-sport configurations. A little heavier, but just ounces, and a little noisier, but you're wearing earplugs anyway, right?

I have a Nolan, which I like because of the strap buckle versus a D-ring, but any modular will give the most important advantages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94