Help a newbie choose recovery equipment

vanguard

Adventurer
I'm new to wheeling and right now, my recovery equipment is pretty slim. I have a 2" x 30' tow strap and a D ring. I'm putting on a hitch this weekend and that will be my rear recovery point.

In other areas of life, I've noticed that you can save money by buying a kit. However, this wisdom often comes to me after I've gathered half of what comes in the kit so any savings would be lost in duplicate items.

Keep in mind, I live in NC and don't see the same kind of wilderness that you guys might see in Mexico or (insert any cool exotic localtion here). I've never wheeled alone and even if I did the trail (National Park) would be busy with lots of wheelers willing to lend a hand to somebody stranded. What I'm getting at is I don't really need a 5 day supply of water or enough food to stay alive until the rescue helicopter finds me. I probably just need to get unstuck.

So, if you had a more or less clean slate like I do what would you buy? Would you get a kit? Would you piece something together on your own?

Here are a few kits I've found:
http://www.offroadrecovery.com/product/003_203
http://www.recoverygear.com/bags.html

Thanks in advance

erin

Explorer
Do you have a winch of some sort or just a hilift jack? Either way both kits require something to pull you out. Both work well, just that the high lift requires more sweat. I have always found that when I count on other people to be out on a trail, I never see anyone and I get stuck.

But I just have luck like that. Oh well. :arabia:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Vanguard, welcome! There is a lot in terms of recovery gear and you can find some good info on this thread. And I am sure everyone here is more than happy to help you out. If you have already purchased some of you equipment I would continue to go that route. However, there are a couple of good kits out there, check out this review on one of the kits. I would also recommend a hi lift jack and if you do not have good recovery points on your truck then a lift mate may also come in handy. Now, I do not as of yet have a Hi Lift or a Lift Mate, they are on my list to Santa and hopefully they will be under my tree on that oh so wonderful morning. :D

Westy

Adventurer
things I carry always: straps (no hooks/metal), tree saver, chain with hooks, shovel, hi lift, bottle jack, basic tools, gloves, snatch block and d rings oh yeah and the m8000.

I think water and food should be included as well....you never know how long that recovery may take!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Vanguard,

I have nothing but nice things to say about recoverygear.com, I've ordered from them several times and have alway been please.

Assuming your 2"x30" strap is in good condition, and your "D" shackle is heavy duty then I'd say you are on your way to a good start.

I would add the following:

1 additional "D" shackle
1 hitch block (don't ever use the hitch ball)
1 pair gloves
1 carrying bag (helps keep stuff clean and organized)
1 tree strap

Even if you don't have a winch a tree strap can be used to anchor your truck firmly if someone else needs to pull off you or as a short yank strap on a tight trail. I've used my tree strap several times on tight trails as a yank strap.

A good shovel is a must have item too.

The single most important item? Solid recovery points front and rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior