Help Identifying Vintage Jeep Trailer

old_CWO

Hello,

I just purchased a very nice vintage 1/4 ton civilian trailer but it's provenance is a mystery to me. The title shows it as a 1946 with a manufacturer of "Kron" which I believe is shortened from something else. It has M100/Bantam style fenders, a square t ube axle and I believe the wheels are original 16" with a 5-4.5 bolt pattern. It's unit body construction like a David Bradley. Anyone recognize it?

IMG_0812.jpegIMG_0813.jpegIMG_0811.jpeg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Hmm. BenHur, DavidBradley, and Montgomery Ward all had trailers like that. Im sure there are others Im not aware of, but I am also interested in what you can find about it. Are there any numbers, stampings, serial plates anywhere on it?

old_CWO

Hmm. BenHur, DavidBradley, and Montgomery Ward all had trailers like that. Im sure there are others Im not aware of, but I am also interested in what you can find about it. Are there any numbers, stampings, serial plates anywhere on it?

I have looked at most of those plus Converto, Spen, Knox, etc. Unfortunately I can't find any marking on the trailer anywhere that might help discover it's origin.

It definitely has the MBT/M100 fenders, and I am convinced it originally came with early Jeep front springs the same as a military quarter ton or Bantam. No shocks. The wheels appear to be early Dodge 5-4.5 16" tube type with hub cap clips and match the original paint so probably factory. it even had '49 Plymouth hubcaps on it and based on the paint fade I would say they've been on it for decades. the tailgate is designed in such a way that it can hinge at bottom like a pickup or top for dumping.

Through google-**** I have found a few images of other trailers like it but no one seems to have any real information, just speculation. Regardless, it's in very good shape for it's age and is the exact size I want with the vintage style I like. It's a keeper.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Cool trailer. You might try posting it on the <CJ2Apage.com> forum in the trailer section. Also the <G503.com> forum trailer section. There are people on those that know a lot about these old trailers.

old_CWO

Cool trailer. You might try posting it on the <CJ2Apage.com> forum in the trailer section. Also the <G503.com> forum trailer section. There are people on those that know a lot about these old trailers.

Thanks for the leads

I browsed through the CJ2A page and there were several posts with photos of the same style trailer asking for information. No solid answers but there were a lot of other pics that make me lean towards Converto.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Glad you found some information at least. Seems the Convertos are few and far between- increases the cool factor to me. Researching these old trailers is interesting. I have a Bantam T3-C that I fixed up- fun project.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
I have looked at most of those plus Converto, Spen, Knox, etc. Unfortunately I can't find any marking on the trailer anywhere that might help discover it's origin.

It definitely has the MBT/M100 fenders, and I am convinced it originally came with early Jeep front springs the same as a military quarter ton or Bantam. No shocks. The wheels appear to be early Dodge 5-4.5 16" tube type with hub cap clips and match the original paint so probably factory. it even had '49 Plymouth hubcaps on it and based on the paint fade I would say they've been on it for decades. the tailgate is designed in such a way that it can hinge at bottom like a pickup or top for dumping.

Through google-**** I have found a few images of other trailers like it but no one seems to have any real information, just speculation. Regardless, it's in very good shape for it's age and is the exact size I want with the vintage style I like. It's a keeper.

Right, I looked at a Spen for comparison as well and its definitely not that. It does seem to be similar green to David Bradley, but Im not convinced. What do the wheels look like under the hubcaps? any square holes that could be used to mount wheel weights (on a tractor)? Thats usually a good sign of a DB or similar brand that manufactured other equipment.

old_CWO

Right, I looked at a Spen for comparison as well and its definitely not that. It does seem to be similar green to David Bradley, but Im not convinced. What do the wheels look like under the hubcaps? any square holes that could be used to mount wheel weights (on a tractor)? Thats usually a good sign of a DB or similar brand that manufactured other equipment.

I believe the wheels are late 40s to early 50s Mopar. I have a 45K mile original '52 Dodge truck in the garage with confirmed OEM wheels and what's on the trailer is identical, down to the hub cap clips. The green paint under the hub caps and body is your typical post war implement dark green gloss like Bantam trailers or maybe Oliver tractors wore back then. I can't bring myself to deviate from green, so I am planning to paint it a vintage Coleman lantern color.:cool:

There are a few photos floating around the web of trailers with a tub like mine, but set up for dump rather than fixed tongue. This might have been the "cheap" one as no dump capability and 2K axle. It obviously had the leaf springs changed at some point as you can see where the rear hanger was moved aft. From the existing original measurements I am pretty sure it came with Jeep CJ2A type front springs. Dump feature and leftover military influence (fenders, springs, axle placement, dimensions) makes me think Converto, but that's just a guess. That being said, it has a square axle, unit body construction and is bolted together, all like a Bradley, so who really knows?

This probably isn't some ultra-rare collector item, but I am still going to refrain from butchering it up since the cool factor is strong with this one. Unfortunately the tongue is both bent and farmer welded so it is not salvageable. Other than that it will remain basically stock looking when I'm done.

Thanks for your interest, it's great to know there are so many other vintage trailer nerds out there...

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Saw this on the CJ2A page today. Looks really similar and listed as a Converto:

00u0u_7duOZSOzbVl_600x450.jpg

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tro/d/oxford-1940s-converto-trailer/6814192506.html

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
I agree, yours must be whatever the blue one above is. If they say its a Converto, great, but why? What marks does it have to prove it? The tub style and tailgate shapes are the same, Im guessing a few years difference between the two would explain the hook design changes and other small details.

Mike M.

I have the exact same trailer, but yours is in better shape as a previous owner of mine modified the tail gate by flipping it around and moved the tail lights. If yours is the same as mine, it’s a 1948 Civilian Converto. Thank you for posting your pictures as I will use them for fixing my tail lights and gate. On earlier models, the side rail tubes were longer square tubes from the top to the bottom of the bed, ours has the short tube rail holders. Maybe they did this to save material and decrease weight of the trailer. If there isn’t a Converto tag, look to see if there are a couple rivet holes on the front lower right.

65K09

I've got the same trailer (see pictures attached) but I have the same questions since this trailer does not have a tag on it either. Best I can tell from internet searches is that it is a Civilian Converto Trailer.
I'm trying to dig up some info on the wheel bearings so I can pick up an extra set (just in case).

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200430_154835.jpg
    20200430_154835.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 15

65K09

Hello,

I just purchased a very nice vintage 1/4 ton civilian trailer but it's provenance is a mystery to me. The title shows it as a 1946 with a manufacturer of "Kron" which I believe is shortened from something else. It has M100/Bantam style fenders, a square t ube axle and I believe the wheels are original 16" with a 5-4.5 bolt pattern. It's unit body construction like a David Bradley. Anyone recognize it?

OP: Adding to the mystery - the title to mine shows it as a "1946 Karri"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz