Help me decide!!!! RV or Full-size

threejack_red_details.jpg
Spendy but hear this is a good style for a truck camper....

I’ve heard those things are great, but where I go it’d last about 30 seconds.

However, you CAN build a SRW truck to handle a camper like that. See my photos above. It looks real flat where we’re camping but the 40 miles of ‘road’ in we’re not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ripperj

Explorer
Forget about taking the slide in off at the camp. It’s a pain in the rear, unless the camper is much wider than the truck ( or at least the jacks) and the site is smooth and level. Some campers aren’t really made to be used unless on the truck or saw horses.
Electric jacks would help, but any jack hanging down is a disaster waiting to happen off pavement

Forget about taking the slide in off at the camp. It’s a pain in the rear, unless the camper is much wider than the truck ( or at least the jacks) and the site is smooth and level. Some campers aren’t really made to be used unless on the truck or saw horses.
Electric jacks would help, but any jack hanging down is a disaster waiting to happen off pavement

I’ve got to disagree. Taking camper off truck is about a 10 min job. Yes, ground needs to be kinda of level, but not perfect. Irregularities are dealt with by jacks or blocks. I carry some small blocks and 2x8 chunks for that.

As for jacks hanging down, they can be an issue but the rear ones come up to just under the rear camper bumper and the front ones are also pretty high. On a stock height truck they could be an issue but on my truck all four jacks are 3+ feet off the ground.

Most well made campers can be used on just the jacks. You want to drop the camper down to almost ground level. At that height it’s pretty stable. Not sketchy at all.

Loading back up is a little more involved only because you have to back up straight. Usually takes me about 20 min to load up. Less if I get lucky.

That said...electric jacks are a MUST unless you rarely unload the camper.

Being able to separate the two is an awesome option. You can drop the ‘house‘ and have a free vehicle to explore in. Works really well for us.

KaiserDTM

This is all really good info guys I appreciate it a lot. I think I'll be keeping my Dodge and putting a little money into and probably just be starting out with a tent, not necessarily a RTT but whatever is cheap and will get me out there. I think something like a Camp Lite is definitely in my future though. Thanks for sharing all your pictures and insights and the more information about the jacks and what not so I can unload it is greatly appreciated. I've spent a lot of time paying attention to every little detail in bloodyWEST's slow build thread, I'm quite open to a utility style bed as well as long as it doesn't get caught up too much but that can be modified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles