Help me diagnose a noise? !!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I have a CHIRPING sound during acceleration.

It started tonight as I pulled forward out of a parking spot. As soon as I touched the throttle I heard a squeaking chirp. It seems to only happen upon initial acceleration from a dead stop or during hard acceleration when already rolling.

I did a little test by stopping and revving the engine while in neutral - no noise
I then revved the engine in neutral while rolling at about 15 mph - no noise
Put the engine back in gear and accelerate - chirping noise.

There is NO adverse vibration felt.

Your thoughts?
Thanks

Oh, and this is a 2001 LR DII

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
No noise while rolling in neutral or when rolling in gear. In fact, no noise when cruising in gear with a steady throttle, only upon acceleration.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Hmmm My hunch was the differential, but now I am stumped! Sorry amigo!:sombrero:

Did it just start today?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I once had a similar problem on a RX-7, and it was a loose turning light. IT was rubbing on the front fender. :confused: Maybe its your carnage?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Well, how's this for good times!
An exploding U-Joint!! :yikes:

normal_DCP_1635.JPG

normal_DCP_1638.JPG

Oh Joy!! :smilies27 :eek:

So here's the next decision.
The extended warranty should take care of it.
This is an unfortunate common problem with this vehicle since it is a non greasable U-Joint, common upwards of 60K miles and I'm at 67K miles.

So for my $100 deductible the U-Joint will be replace with the same part. It will be new but still ungreasable. Napa has a replacement U-joint that fits perfect and is greasable complete with Zirk fittings, they are about $15 each. But if I use the Napa parts would I be voiding the rest of my extended warranty? That is the question that will be posed to the dealership in the morning.

david despain

Adventurer
sorry man

oh man that sucks how is the x-fer case. and tranny? on the plus side as i read your first post the first thing that popped in to my head was front drive shaft and i was going to ask if u had oem or aftermarket with greaseable zerks. i guess its good that i had the thought in my head of frt shaft but sucks to hear this. also on brit pac yesterday the deal of the day was a new front drive shaft assembly with serviceable joints for 200$ if i recall correctly. i almost bought one just to put on the shelf for when mine eventually goes out. because they all go boom eventually.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks David.
I actually have a spare set of drive shafts sitting on the shelf in my garage.
Front and rear complete with u-joints. They came off a fairly new DII that was totalled and the guy was parting them out. I bought them for $15 each, yep $30 for the set, and take them along on extended isolated trips.

Part of me is thinking about just using my like-new spare shaft or maybe just the u-joints from it, but then again since I am under the extended warranty I think it would be worth the $100 deductible to stick with the plan incase anything else goes rong with that part of the system....

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Brian, while the greasable joints would be ideal, do not void your warranty. Get the work done under warranty, and when this happens in another 60K or so and you are out of warranty I would get the greasable ones. Just my thoughts on the matter though.

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
I had my front shaft go at about 25,000 miles (3" lift). Warranty replaced it. Then I had an independent driveline shop rebuild me a shaft with greaseable u-joints (about $150).

I'm now running the greaseable shaft and carrying the oem as a trail spare. This does not affect any warranty on the rest of the truck.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Well I just got her back this evening!! :victory:

I paid my $100 deductible that they somehow only charged me $94 for!
and recieved:

A New front drive shaft complete with 3 u-joints
and
A resealed front pinyon seal, since it was leaking - most likely to the vibration of the bad joint on the old front shaft.

No hastles, great service, subsidized rental car for $10/day....

Happy :sunny:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles