Help me find some big boots!

Hiking forums aren't helping. Figured I would ask on here since this seems to be a very diverse crowd with vast experience.

I need a new set of heavy duty boots. My previous go to boots were Vasque Sundowners. I went thru 3 pairs over the last 10-12 years. This last pair only lasted two years before the sole cracked. Sent them off to get resoled and was informed that the midsole(?) was broke and they were not repairable. My understanding is that they are now made in China and lower quality.

My recent search for boots is becoming a pain. My problem is that I wear a size 14 and not a lot of stores carry the size and I can not try them on. I ordered two different boots last month online and had to take them back because they were too tight. A pair of Oboz's and a pair of Ehnu's. Bought a pair of used Keen's today at REI or a super deal. Felt good in the store but got too tight on a shorter hike this evening. I think part of my problem may be that I have embraced the barefoot running thing over last couple of years and my daily shoes are either vibram five fingers or Merrill trail gloves. Maybe this has made my feet wider?

I bought another pair of lightweight running shoes so I am now looking for some heavy duty boot. I want them for hiking, back packing, heavy work, riding the motorcycle, and the zombie apocalypse. I understand the lightweight thing but I want a heavy weight, all leather boot for durability. I wore combat boots for 4 years, then wore them again in construction for another 3. I now wear high top Danner boots at work.

I am limited by choice due to size. I really liked the Zamberlains but they don't make 14's. Most of the other boots listed in a recent Overland Journal article do not come in my size either. I looked at the Asolo 520's but the sole design has a big arch in the middle that makes it difficult for motorcycle foot peg use. I do not intend to use my hiking boots as replacements for my Sidi MX boots when riding hard. Only for more laid back rides with the girlfriend when we will be off the bike more than on.

So, any one have any recommendations for a heavy duty, do all hiking boot that comes in a 14 or 14W?

Thanks for any help!

Joe

Last edited:

RangeBrover

Explorer
I've always worn Asolo's or Danners. I wear an 8 wide so I know they both are available in EE widths, they are probably some of your best bets.

RangeBrover

Explorer
If you want to look into the custom route Russell Moccasin is a good place to look, I have a pair of camp shoes but the boots are great also.

Russell Moccasin make a motorcycle boot - the Russell Riders -
Russell specializes in outfitting the hard to fit. are available in any size... in any width... from a dainty 2-1/2 lady's size up to 17-1/2 EEE men's size.

JR Greenhorn

First, get your feet measured with a Brannock Device by someone who knows how to use one properly. Toe length (of the foot) really isn't important, but arch length and overall width are very important. Which of your feet is bigger? You're not going to get a good fit if you don't know.

Second, if you're truly serious about good fit and your feet are bigger than 12s, give up on off-the-shelf boots.

I just had my second pair of White's made this spring. The left is 15.5A, and the right is 15A. The shafts are made to measure. My first pair of White's were stock-ordered 13B's that lasted 6 years of daily use (that's less than $100/yr). I'm surprised how much my feet changed in that time. Actually, they just got back from being rebuilt for half the price of new.

These are sturdy, all leather, wildland firefighting boots. The seams don't fail; the thick leather itself finally wears out. The pair I got rebuilt was full of dirt bike footpeg scars, but it was the backstraps (above the counters) that finally failed. I'm anxious to see what they look like rebuilt.

I only own one other pair of boots: size 49 Sidi Crossfire TAs.

First, get your feet measured with a Brannock Device by someone who knows how to use one properly. Toe length (of the foot) really isn't important, but arch length and overall width are very important. Which of your feet is bigger? You're not going to get a good fit if you don't know.

Second, if you're truly serious about good fit and your feet are bigger than 12s, give up on off-the-shelf boots.

I just had my second pair of White's made this spring. The left is 15.5A, and the right is 15A. The shafts are made to measure. My first pair of White's were stock-ordered 13B's that lasted 6 years of daily use (that's less than $100/yr). I'm surprised how much my feet changed in that time. Actually, they just got back from being rebuilt for half the price of new.

These are sturdy, all leather, wildland firefighting boots. The seams don't fail; the thick leather itself finally wears out. The pair I got rebuilt was full of dirt bike footpeg scars, but it was the backstraps (above the counters) that finally failed. I'm anxious to see what they look like rebuilt.

I only own one other pair of boots: size 49 Sidi Crossfire TAs.

Thanks for the advice. Awesome that your second post was so informative!

Remember from my rock climbing days that my right foot is a good bit bigger than my left. Always wanted a size 13 right and a size 12 left. Talked to the guys at Limmer Boots and they sent me an email on sizing. They want a foot tracing and several measurements of all around my foot. They use this to find the best boot.

Shoeman

Observer
As a 27 year veteran of the boot retail world, I second the find a good store and get measured idea. You will not usually find that at the mall. JRGreenhorn said it....toe length is only part of the fit. You can have a 12 toe length and a 14 arch length, for example, and you can wear a size 12 boot for a bit that way but it's gonna hurt eventually. In todays one or two width only world of shoe manufacturing it's tougher to get a precise fit for the folks who need something other than a 10D. As a 14A I know first hand. In easy lightweight stuff like running shoes and day hikers you can get away with only a so-so fit, but lace on a big Danner or a stitched down vibram soled old school hiker that does not fit correctly and your feet will know it in about two miles. Limmer is a good option, as is White/Wesco and the Matterhorn series by Cove. The Red Wing 899 is still available as a made to order but I think the sizing is limited. That was and still is my go-to for rugged outdoor boot but it's an ancient design with no lining or goretex so it has limited use as an all season boot. Tougher than a bag of hammers though. The Sundowner is not what it used to be sadly. Merrell no longer makes a true heavy hiker anymore. I could go on for hours but I'll quit now. Get your feet measured by a pro. Learn you toe and arch lengths and your width. Take what you read on the web about any boots with a grain of salt, as for every person who tells you that a certain boot stinks, you can find an equal amount that love it. Structural failures can happen in any boot, and comfort issues are HIGHLY dependent on each persons own two feet. Lucky for me there is no machine invented (yet) that can recommend and fit shoes correctly so I'll always have a job. Now excuse me, I gotta go to work and sell a shoe.

You'll love them, I have a pair of their safari boots and they're the best set of boots I own.

I like the idea but worry about how tough they are.

Are these boots you would grab if the Zombie apocalypse broke out and you had to take off on foot? How about a bad storm/tornado came thru town and you had to walk/work in a nasty rubble filled area? Truck broke down in EBF and you had to take off cross country thru rocky terrain to get help?

Not saying they aren't awesome boots. I have lots of lightweight shoe options. I just want some seriously tough boots for the above and everything else. I realize they are going to be heavy and take forever to break in.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
They're not heavy and take no time to break in....

I ordered the full weatherproof leather and Vibram Newporter sole. You can customize them any way you want ---- they have like 30 different soles.

And yes; I bought them for Z-Day use.

Browse their website and look at the way they're built, how they can rebuild them in 10 years for you, resole them, etc. Look at the care they use to make sure they fit.
It was a real educational journey for me to arrive at this purchase.

Options: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/custom_options.html
Leathers: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/leathers.html
Reviews of the minimalist boots: http://www.russellminimalistfootwear.com/reviews.html
Repairs: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/repairs.html

Last edited:
These: http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/fuego. The Scarpa Fuego. Wildland firefighters love them. Or the Gore-Tex version: http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/wrangell-gtx. I use these for elk hunting in the Rockies.

They have other options in the tech mountain category that are a bit lighter weight and some with insulation. The largest size in most is a Euro 48 (14), but a couple backpacking boots go up to a 49 and 50.

How lovely. First post is about boots. :)

Can not get a set size on euro to us size.

I wear a size 14-15 depending on maker. I wear a size 47 fivefingers. My size 48 shimano mtn bike shows don't fit and the on tongue says they are a 12.3 us size. I wear a pair of size 50 sidi motocross boots.

Thanks for the link though. See if I can find some local to try on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior