Help me invest into the best overlanding/towing/ offroading rig!

Zagha725

Hey guys,

Its an honor to be posting on this forum today. I have seen overlanding for a while but never really knew the direction to go in. I have looked at all kids of vehicles but wasn't really sure what the best fit for me would be. I am a 6'4 300 pound 21 year old that for some odd reason isn't very fond of large cars. I've mainly grown up driving smaller ones due to my family not being a similar size and stature as I. I have 4 vehicles I am looking into for overall practicality and use. I am looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Dakota, Ford Explorer, and a Ford Ranger. All of these vehicles will likely be 04 or older due to insurance and cost of money for newer vehicles. Reason I have looked into these vehicles is for several reasons. The size isn't too large, the towing capacity with the correct options can be in between the 4000-6000 lbs range ( I wont be doing a lot of towing mainly just for buying furniture or towing a project vehicle from out of state ). My biggest concerns is how they drive, how rugged can they be, do I need to swap axels and drive trains, is the transfer case going to hold long term. Ive been a big ford guy from my grand father but not like the traditional ford f150 and mustang type. I love the ford explorers but done some research into them. I know they are prone to roll overs in the first and second gens due to a short wheel base, which I would assume that can be partially fixed with bigger tires and a wheel spacers for a wider wheel base. The Ranger and Explorers were built on the relatively same platform. Newer explorers are nice but tend to have horrible transmissions in the 3rd generation which makes me partially opt it out. Although I am not a big dodge guy, I have a buddy who has done some work to a grand Cherokee with a lift kit and all so I know where to start for the 4.7, and my step father has been doing some light off-road/towing work to an 04 Laredo with Quadro drive and is in the process up swapping in beefier axels and better gearing for the rear diff on the swapped axels. I have also considered a Honda cr-v 1st gen due to its rugged versatility.

My biggest thing is how would these handle in the conditions I would haver it in. And what would be the longevity of the vehicle and money invested to get it where it needs to be. I don't have a need for large mudding or rock crawling but simply just the normal trailing fun. I am open to other suggestions as to what vehicles would work for me. Money is a huge issue for me as I live on my own and am under the national income average when it comes to household revenue. I only counted out chevy due to the sheer expense of some vehicles and how some vehicles appear too small for what I need or way too big. Any suggestions and any point in direction as to how I should start my overlanding journey will be greatly appreciated. I am happy to see what you experts suggest!

Johnboyy

get something you're comfortable in above all else. even a 2wd with a set of all terrains and a compressor to allow for airing down will get you a hell of a long ways off road if you drive within it's abilities.

get out there and learn what works for you as opposed to waiting until you have the perfect vehicle

calicamper

Expedition Leader
your big
Get a full sized Standard length SUV. Tahoe / Yukon, Expedition they make millions of them you can find one in your budget.

parked side by side with a mid sized and they are basically wider and thats about it. Definitely superior regarding roll over given they are wider and definitely superior regarding power and payload

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
At your age I recall being rather excited about cars. Cars are not a hobby for those on a tight budget and can be a bad habit, like gambling, for those having disposable income. Don't chase after instant gratification in some "overlanding" vehicle.

There is no such thing as the "perfect" vehicle, everything is a compromise, one cannot be built or bought.

If you considered the Honda CR-V, then it's probably your best choice, they are reliable, good MPG, as inexpensive as anything else for repairs and will do fine on back roads. I assume you have been in one, if you were comfortable, then there ya go.

If the Honda isn't for you, I'd suggest F-150, or an SUV, figure out what you can live with at the gas station, the bigger they are the more they cost.

Whatever, you don't "need" 4WD! You don't "need" bigger tires or a lift kit!

Sounds like you wrench with your father-in-law, just stick with that for a few more years.

I'd suggest you concentrate on your livelihood, get started making money and not looking for ways to spend it.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I'd probably go for an older (WK or WJ) Jeep Grand Cherokee with quadra-trac, you can probably find one for $2-3k. It will do almost anything you might need for overlanding totally stock. Another great option is a 2nd gen Isuzu Trooper- you might find a nice one for $1-2k. In both cases look for one with detailed maintenance records. The first gen Honda CRV is great also, I have driven one offroad, and it is much more capable than I expected, and the built in camp table is very cool. Your best value will be finding an older one with high miles, some cosmetic problems, but extremely well maintained with detailed records.

Ozarker's advice above is excellent... you don't need tons of expensive equipment, just get a cheap tent and a stock 4x4.

dstefan

1st Gen, well maintained Tundra. They’re still reliable and my 6’5” nephew fits comfortably in his. Drove it all over creation for a full year starting at 161K miles. No drama

Zagha725

Two sleeper choices to consider...the 1st generation Toyota Sequoia and the early 2000s Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy. They will last forever with little drama.
I have a buddy who is my age but is a chevy only guy and he praises the 4.3 v. good Hrspr and torque and very bullet proof. I would like to be a toyota boy but even a platform like that to find a good one is closer to 10k which realistically is a third of my yearly income untaxed so it is not exactly something I can jump into. So toyota has really been an after thought simple due to the well known toyota tax.

Zagha725

1st Gen, well maintained Tundra. They’re still reliable and my 6’5” nephew fits comfortably in his. Drove it all over creation for a full year starting at 161K miles. No drama
I would love to touch a 1st gen toyota tundra with either a 2 door or my personal choice is the two door extended. But the toyota tax has a lot of those starting for a decent example with more than 200k miles at the 10k mark and that is super high in price. I am looking anywhere from the 4-6k range roughly.

Zagha725

At your age I recall being rather excited about cars. Cars are not a hobby for those on a tight budget and can be a bad habit, like gambling, for those having disposable income. Don't chase after instant gratification in some "overlanding" vehicle.

There is no such thing as the "perfect" vehicle, everything is a compromise, one cannot be built or bought.

If you considered the Honda CR-V, then it's probably your best choice, they are reliable, good MPG, as inexpensive as anything else for repairs and will do fine on back roads. I assume you have been in one, if you were comfortable, then there ya go.

If the Honda isn't for you, I'd suggest F-150, or an SUV, figure out what you can live with at the gas station, the bigger they are the more they cost.

Whatever, you don't "need" 4WD! You don't "need" bigger tires or a lift kit!

Sounds like you wrench with your father-in-law, just stick with that for a few more years.

I'd suggest you concentrate on your livelihood, get started making money and not looking for ways to spend it.

You are very correct!

Cr-vs are great and you can boost them for more power and make then very capable. I am a huge fan of the first gens and of course you cannot forget the added table! But with that being said it is not tow capable. I need something that when needed can tow ( Rare occasion but may be needed ) and be able to have multi-function to help my friends and family if need because I am big on that. I mean I do want to do a lift kit anywhere between 2-4 inches for better ground clearances and anywhere between 30s to 35s just for a better rugged look. I am not super worried about gas mileage as It will not be a everyday vehicle I will drive. What f150 would you suggest? Im assuming you would recommend a single cab 5.0 because the 5.4s are hot garbage and shoot out spark plugs like its cooking pop corn. What suvs would you recommend?

gatorgrizz27

You are very correct!

Cr-vs are great and you can boost them for more power and make then very capable. I am a huge fan of the first gens and of course you cannot forget the added table! But with that being said it is not tow capable. I need something that when needed can tow ( Rare occasion but may be needed ) and be able to have multi-function to help my friends and family if need because I am big on that. I mean I do want to do a lift kit anywhere between 2-4 inches for better ground clearances and anywhere between 30s to 35s just for a better rugged look. I am not super worried about gas mileage as It will not be a everyday vehicle I will drive. What f150 would you suggest? Im assuming you would recommend a single cab 5.0 because the 5.4s are hot garbage and shoot out spark plugs like its cooking pop corn. What suvs would you recommend?

There is zero reason to be talking about adding a turbo/supercharger to an older vehicle on a budget, especially when you’re planning to take it to remote places.

Go buy a 2000-2006 Tahoe or Suburban, 4wd versions generally don’t cost any more than the 2wd ones. The 5.3L is about as solid as they come, budget for a rebuilt trans and you shouldn’t have many other major issues. I bought one for $2,200, drove it for two years, and sold it for $2,000. Put a set of 32” all terrains on it, some decent shocks, and go explore. Many of them came with the G80 automatic rear locker also.

When you’re broke you don’t need project/extra vehicles, there is nothing wrong with using it as a DD.

I realize it may just be semantics also, but vehicles are rarely “investments”. I’ve been learning a lot about building wealth over the last year and a half and there is a ton of simple stuff nobody ever teaches you that I wish I’d learned sooner...

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You are very correct!

Again, you don't need to waste money on looks or a lift, etc. Get the house in order first.

An F 150, extended cab, 99-2004, 5.0 V8, they should be 10K or less for low mileage trucks, less than 125K miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles