Help me out here! GPS for Ipad Mini

NetDep

Adventurer
Ill give you $50 for your badelf since you now know that you no longer require it.. :wavey:

That's REALLY decent of you and all - but since I was sooooo stupid to get it - might as well hang on to it as a reminder of shame!! :)

Thanks though - if I was going to get rid of it that would be a good way to go....I do have a drawer with too much "stuff I thought I needed" but don't have the heart to part with it.....

Stay safe!!

brentbba

Explorer
Nice thread. Will have to read the FAQ from RobRed on MotionX, but do you have to purchase top maps separate? I have Garmin's topo's for a Montana I currently own. Nice, but screen is small. I now have two 'excuses' to look at the Ipad Mini, Offroad topo/onroad nav AND golf! I'm an avid/addicted golfer and my pro just invested in a radar device called Trackman that tracks just about anything and everything you want to know about your golf swing. Just had first lesson with Trackman. It's on his ipad. App available for ipad and the mini that's seamless. They are trying for the PC app, but hey, an excuse is an excuse to buy more toys for the truck!

So the Ipad mini w/wifi/cellular has the GPS chip, but you don't need a cellular plan to use just the GPS, right? On road and offroad topo maps with MotionX?

Thanks!

Dave_g

Thanks for the responses. All great information here. RobRed, great FAQ.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

brentbba

Explorer
So if I wanted to download topos for say SoCal, AZ and Utah, first is 32gb enough and second is that a long download with MotionX HD?

I'm leaning toward an iPad Air with wifi/cellular for the GPS chip and MotionX HD. Good onroad? MotionX, Garmin, others? Mounts for an 80 series Landcruiser. Looks like the flex pole for the seat bolt might work best. Will spend time this weekend pouring over RobRed's FAQ.

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
It all depends on how much detail you want. If you want the most zoomed in detail then you are looking at well over 700 gb of maps and that is only one type of map. I tried it with the Google a terrain map for that area and that is what I came up with. For Death Valley alone, it was 15 gb. I spent the extra cash and went with a 128 gb. 1gb of maps takes a few hours to download.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I can't answer the software question, but for mounts, I am really liking the hockey puck shaped snap system from Rokform. Works great on my dash with iPhone and iPad mini.

brentbba

Explorer
It all depends on how much detail you want. If you want the most zoomed in detail then you are looking at well over 700 gb of maps and that is only one type of map. I tried it with the Google a terrain map for that area and that is what I came up with. For Death Valley alone, it was 15 gb. I spent the extra cash and went with a 128 gb. 1gb of maps takes a few hours to download.

Ok - sounds like I'd need to be somewhat more picky with areas to download and at what zoom level. Thx.

jerdog53

Explorer
See this is exactly what I was looking for!

I have the iPad mini and was wanting to navigate with it. This thread had told me what I need to do that!

Thanks All!! :beer:

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
I also use an iPad mini 64gb and MotionX and am really beginning to like it. Map download times can be lengthy depending on the source and connection speed. I have been downloading 1.3 million tiles for the last three days on my work's wifi which is much faster than at home. So far only 22% downloaded. But that is a LOT of tiles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior