Help me out here! GPS for Ipad Mini

fireball

Explorer
Are you guys putting your on-road route into the iPad before your trip as well? What's the easiest way to do that? I've used motion-X on my phone before for off-road stuff, but for our spring break trip we're taking next week I've created a google maps route that I tweaked and played with and would like to be able to open that with the ipad Maps program. Is that possible? How would you guys do that?

Thanks!

RobRed

Explorer
Motion X GPS doesn't have "routing" so the benefit of loading your on road destination, other than seeing it, is low value.

Motion X Drive does have routing but at this point you might as well use apple maps.

You may not realize but you can run multiple GPS apps at thew same time.

RobRed

Explorer
Are you asking to import your pre created route to Apple?

I may have misunderstood your initial question.... you can import routes (tracks) to Motion X GPS, it's just not going to give you turn by turn to the destination but you can look at the track on the mapping.

fireball

Explorer
I created this map/directions in Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/VgznE

It took a lot of pushing and pulling to plan out the route we want to take. Is there a way to get that into my Ipad? I can open the URL in safarai but it would be nice to have it in Apple maps and perhaps cache some parts of the route?

So my question is really....if I created a google map route what is the best way to have that on my Ipad to follow along?

And the secondary question might be, if I want to plan a route to follow on the iPad, what program *should* i have used to create it?!

Thanks Rob!

RobRed

Explorer
It would have to exported as a KML file and then email to your self or sync ipad to computer.

Motion X GPS supports email import of KML.

i pad as gps

Explain to me how this works? do you have to use cell phone towers or is it satellite and do you need a gps antena and tracking program can you load google earth and track on google earth ?

robgendreau

Explorer
I don't think you can use Google Maps to export routes as KML files; once you could. Now you'd have to create that route in Google Earth and export it as KML. At least on my Mac with the "new" Google Maps. And note that the KML is different than sharing that link posted above; that shares the map in a browser.

And how it works depends, but yeah, you can use Google Earth and either a cellular data connection or wifi and the iPad's GPS (if it has it; some models didn't) to track in Google Earth. You cannot attach GPS antennas to an iPad, but there are a very few GPS units that can work externally with an iPad. And all GPS is satellite, if that's what you're asking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles