Help me out here! GPS for Ipad Mini

XterraMatt

I have a non-cellular Ipad and just ordered the GLO. I plan to use Motion X for off road nav and will preload maps. I was looking at mobile hot spots (ATT Mifi) to provide data for the Ipad.

For the guys running the wifi only Ipad, have you considered a mobile hot spot?

xbox73

Adventurer
I use a Verizon 4620L Mifi with my Google Nexus 10. No, the Google Nexus 10 is obviously not an iPad, but same concept. I can use either my Verizon MiFi or my AT&T Galaxy Note II running in mobile hotspot mode to supply the internet connection for my Google Nexus 10. That way I have redundancy & also different networks, in case Verizon doesn't have 4G LTE in a certain area, but AT&T does, or vice versa. Of potentially even more interest, the Verizon 4620L Mifi supposedly has a GPS chip built in, and can transmit its position over WiFi to devices connected to it. I haven't actually tested that functionality, since I don't need it since all 3 of my Android devices have GPS chips inside, but there are settings to enable reporting of GPS position over WiFi in the Verizon 4620L Mifi admin settings page. May be useful to me, when I have a PC connected to it that does not have GPS built in, and could potentially be useful to WiFi-only iPads in the same way,

haven

Expedition Leader
I checked the Verizon 4620L manual. In the section that talks about turning GPS over WiFi function on, the manual says you need to download and install a driver for Windows or Mac computers. No mention is made of the iPad.

Searching online, I saw a couple of references to a firmware update for the 4620L that improves GPS over WiFi for iPad.

It's not clear to me that the GPS over WiFi function works in areas where there is no cell tower signal. I think it might, but more research is needed to confirm.

While reading about the Verizon MiFi devices, I saw several posts that said a good way to get a GPS signal to a WiFi only iPad is to tether the iPad to an iPhone using the Personal Hotspot feature of the iPhone. To connect to the Internet, you need a cell phone plan that enables tethering to other equipment. But it may be that the Personal Hotspot connection between iPhone and iPad will bring GPS data to the iPad regardless of cell phone agreement. Again, more research is needed.

JRhetts

Adventurer
Another take. I use two apps on my iPad 99% of the time.

TomTom for road nav. due to crowdsource maps, it has many more unpaved roads and tracks than any of the Garmin stuff I have ever shows [e.g., all over the Yukon and AZ backcountry.]

ScenicMaps for 2D and 3D visualizing of where I am, what's over the next hill, saving track logs, and general recon and planning. For $10 per 1/3 of USA it is amazing.

my $.02. John

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I use a Verizon JetPack 4G MiFI device courtesy of my office, and it works great (12MB download speeds), but where you might want cell service for GPS use, you are unlikely to actually GET cell phone service, and certainly not 4G speeds. I don't think that it's worth investing in just for GPS use, that's for sure.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Does the GLO stay on or auto on if powered via the car? I'd prefer to put it in and forget about it, that way my ipad auto connects and away we go. I wasn't sure if it was that high speed though. I'm guessing when the cars off it'll stay on via the battery. Appreciate the info!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Does the GLO stay on or auto on if powered via the car? I'd prefer to put it in and forget about it, that way my ipad auto connects and away we go. I wasn't sure if it was that high speed though. I'm guessing when the cars off it'll stay on via the battery. Appreciate the info!

If I remember right, from my own GLO, it will auto-shutoff after 15 minutes of NOT being connected to something via bluetooth.

Last edited:

NetDep

Adventurer
First - stay safe and hurry home!! Once you are home and all that saved up pay is burning a hole in your pocket - which I am happy to help you spend because so many others on this forum help me out so much - you can realize your dream of iPad Mini Navigation!! Pictured below is my current setup. The main thing you were asking about is the iPad Mini (I have the newer Retina display) for use with TopoMaps, or similar, mounted in your Jeep. The mounting system I choose to go with for the iPad is from www.proclipusa.com. As you can see I also am a RAM fan but for the iPad Mini I like the ProClip - I also have my iPhone mounted in a ProClip on the lower console.

I have the BadElf for lightning display ( http://bad-elf.com/products/be-gps-1008 ) which plugs directly into the Mini. The BadElf includes a pass through cable for charging the Mini and the BadElf gets its power from the Mini. As you may be able to see my Mini is in airplane mode which means it is receiving no signal from cell or wifi. The literature from BadElf says this is the preferred method of operation since less power is used. Also - if you elect to get a Mini without cell service it would be no big deal. My Mini is wifi and cell enabled but that is because I use it for just about everything but a phone.

I have gone a little ape**** with maps since I wanted to try several and like several have pointed out - the standard Google and Apple maps won't work in airplane mode or away from a cell signal which is kinda the point for overlanding/off-roading. The maps I have confirmed that work with the BadElf in airplane mode are: GPS MotionX HD, Premium CoPilot, TopoMaps, SpyGlass, Commander Compass and Gaia GPS. The BadElf site has several mapping apps (marine, aviation and road) that can be used with the unit. I also have Scenic Map, TacNav and MilPGPS on my Mini and play with those but still getting familiar with some of the features.

One of the guys has an amazing FAQ on the MotionX stuff which I can't find at the moment but worth looking for -- will add it if I find it later.

Suffice it to say - the Mini (IMHO) is a very capable unit for what you want, it is easily mountable in your Jeep (mine is in a 2011 Toyota Tacoma) and includes an iPad Mini which can be used for all sorts of other stuff as well. I am a bit of a fan but did a lot of research and this was not my first iPad -- I had a boat anchor first gen. Now - be warned - I am not some hardcore overlanding expeditioning guru dude that lives out of his Land Rover three hundred days a year and eats kangaroo for supper every night - so you may find my advice a bit elementary or naive but take it for what it is worth -- I like the Mini, I love that I found the BadElf and can use it off-grid and I love the ProClip for a mounting solution.

Hurry back - get that rig in shape and post lots of pics!!!!!

:)

Attachments

• GPS_Mini.jpg
    GPS_Mini.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 92

RobRed

Explorer
NetDep - Just curious why you would go external GPS puck with your cell enabled mini already have the GPS chipsets?

See my sig for FAQ or post 8 in this thread.

NetDep

Adventurer
NetDep - Just curious why you would go external GPS puck with your cell enabled mini already have the GPS chipsets?

See my sig for FAQ or post 8 in this thread.

It may be my misunderstanding but I thought that if I were away from a cell signal my GPS would be inoperable? If away from wifi/cell signal then the GPS unit in the Mini would not be have a signal to "catch." The BadElf takes care of this problem giving me the ability to use offline maps when no wifi/cell signal is available. There are lots of areas around - and not to hard to get to - that have no cell signal.

jCubed

Adventurer
It may be my misunderstanding but I thought that if I were away from a cell signal my GPS would be inoperable? If away from wifi/cell signal then the GPS unit in the Mini would not be have a signal to "catch." The BadElf takes care of this problem giving me the ability to use offline maps when no wifi/cell signal is available. There are lots of areas around - and not to hard to get to - that have no cell signal.

If you have a cellular iPad, any model or Gen, you have an internal GPS that works outside of cell phone coverage. I have mine mounted in my Tundra and use for GPS during off road and on road. With or without cell phone service.

NetDep

Adventurer
If you have a cellular iPad, any model or Gen, you have an internal GPS that works outside of cell phone coverage. I have mine mounted in my Tundra and use for GPS during off road and on road. With or without cell phone service.

Should have read that closer before I got the BadElf? Oh well, no regrets!! Thank you RobRed and jCubed!!!!

jCubed

Adventurer
Should have read that closer before I got the BadElf? Oh well, no regrets!! Thank you RobRed and jCubed!!!!

I've never had any issue but in theory, the BadElf could get better GPS signal as it can be exposed and it's dedicated GPS chipset. So not a loss, just insurance for the best performance.

RobRed

Explorer
Netdep it's not bad to use the external puck just redundant in many cases.

For those considering iPad you should read my FAQ. It will clear a lot up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke