Help me pick a D1

Mack73

Adventurer
Over here in the U.K. discos are the poor relative to the defenders, just a little more comfortable.

If Land Rover imported 110's for more than 1 year, and 90's for more than 3 years, and if you could buy one of these for less than $20,000 - then yes, most of us would be in Defenders. Lots of if's there ;) Welcome to the US.

Disco's and RRC's are the cheap ones over here

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
First let me welcome a soon to be coloradoan! ;)

I would definitely stick with #1, sounds like a fuel pump. Pretty easy fix, and you will know you are good to go!
I know I have a 95 but here is a list of everything I have done since buying and wheeling it:

THE LIST (since January 2009):
Added rear brake pad securing pins (yes they were missing)
Replaced left rear inner axle seal
Repacked both rear wheel bearings
Replaced right rear window regulator
Replaced windshield twice (get the windshield coverage on insurance)
Replaced the head gaskets
Replaced the battery
Replaced the alternator twice
Replaced the spark plug wires twice
Replaced the spark plugs twice
Replaced the distributor cap twice
Replaced the distributor rotor twice
Replaced the air filter
Replaced the fuel filter
Replaced the cam, tappets and timing chain
Replaced the serpentine belt twice
Replaced the water pump
Replaced both front wheel bearings
Replaced high pressure power steering line (blew on the trail)
Replaced the kickdown cable
Performed fluid and filter change on the transmission twice
Replaced differential oil on all 3 differentials twice
Replaced 3rd member due to a rotoflex conversion I botched
Added 2" Terra Firma big bore expedition lift (more like 5")
Added Terra Firma steering damper
Replaced front driveshaft with double cardan shaft due to lift
Added 31" BF Goodrich MT KM2 (get the warranty from discount tire)
Replaced all my front tie rod and steering ends
Replaced exhaust y pipe gaskets
Added 67" trail gear rock sliders (you will want rock sliders)
Added heavy duty Ram Xmount for iPad navigation
Removed, stripped and painted roof rack
Added CVT roof top tent and awning
Added 60" Hi lift Jack
Added 2 Hella 550 driving lights
Added ARB tire repair kit
Added staun tire deflators (not impressed, hard to dial in)
Added Bonaire high volume pump
Added hi lift winch kit*
Added CB with 5' fire stick
Replaced digital clock

Despite all that I still love her, She has never left me stranded on the trail. At a gas station once (new alternator fried but covered under warranty).

Thank you for the warm welcome! We fell in love with CO when we took our first family trip a few months ago. I'm also originally from Norther Italy at the base of the Alps and the inner Rockies are look very much like the Alps so nostalgia trumps! Also helps I work from a computer 90% of my day so I can live pretty much anywere that has internet. We can hardly wait :)

You have a very impressive rig! Your list of preventative maintenance and modifications is quite long but I can see myself having one of my own in a couple of years as well.

Update: Truck #1 is running good again after changing out the fuel filter! I asked the owner to drive and monitor the truck for a day or two and possibly this Friday I will go pick it up!

Thanks everyone!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Update: Truck #1 is running good again after changing out the fuel filter! I asked the owner to drive and monitor the truck for a day or two and possibly this Friday I will go pick it up!

Thanks everyone!

It could still be the fuel pump. Both times I've had a fuel pump go on Disco's it was intermittent. It would work for a few days or a week, then cut out. Start again and then cut out a few days later. It would get a little worse as time went by. Also, as the fuel pump goes, it overloads and melts the contacts in the fuel pump wiring harness, which causes a loose connection causing it to cut out or stumble, even after fitting a new fuel pump. This has to be replaced with a new pump as well. Even if it was just the filter, if it was that clogged enough to stop the truck, then that could have weakened the fuel pump as well, because it has had to work harder with the clogged filter.

I agree, this truck sounds the best though. . .

David

colvere

Observer
Very nice white disco It is what I hope my 99 D1 will be when through. I Think if I drove it eveyday it would get done faster.

MonLand

Also, as the fuel pump goes, it overloads and melts the contacts in the fuel pump wiring harness, which causes a loose connection causing it to cut out or stumble, even after fitting a new fuel pump.
On my '96 DI, the (2-3 feet long) connection from the fuel pump to the main harness had a plug/connector going bad (at the fuel pump side) and the fuel pump would cut out for seconds (or minutes) at a time. Was "fun" to diagnose and I was -that- close from replacing the pump (i.e. "fuel pump out of the truck, new one on hand....") when I realized that the connector looked pretty bad. REplace the connector/extension/whatever that small wire is called and re-install original fuel pump. Still going strong now (4+ year).

David Harris

Expedition Leader
On my '96 DI, the (2-3 feet long) connection from the fuel pump to the main harness had a plug/connector going bad (at the fuel pump side) and the fuel pump would cut out for seconds (or minutes) at a time. Was "fun" to diagnose and I was -that- close from replacing the pump (i.e. "fuel pump out of the truck, new one on hand....") when I realized that the connector looked pretty bad. REplace the connector/extension/whatever that small wire is called and re-install original fuel pump. Still going strong now (4+ year).

Exactly. I think a lot of fuel pumps are replaced without replacing the plug/wiring and the problem carries on down the line. It's easy to diagnose this by running power direct to the pump, bypassing the harness completely. The fuel pump relay can malfunction too, though I've never had one fail myself.

Honestly, fuel pump problems are the only thing that has ever left me stranded beside the road since I started driving Rovers.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Got stranded in a friends d1 on a logging road in BC an hour from civilization and no cell service and needed to catch both the ferry and then a plane back to Toronto. It was the connector at the fuel pump and I got it going and made all my connections. This area gets a lot of dirt, road salt, etc and it's good preventive maintenance to pull the cover off and clean it out once a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz