Help modifying my trailer, 12V, solar

Markal

Hi all. We took delivery of a new teardrop this winter and I think I‘d like to modify how they have it wired. I opted for the most basic wiring the company offered because I just didn’t like the packages (or prices) of what they offered. Right now it’s set up with:

- shore power connection into a 110 power strip
- small 12V AGM bettery
- Noco Genius plugged into the power strip and charging the battery when plugged into shore power
- A solar (SAE) input wired straight to the battery with no charge controller

I’ve added a Renogy 100watt flexible panel, mounted on my roof. But I have no way to see whether it‘s working and how much current it’s delivering to my battery. And as I understand it, it’s not a great idea to connect the solar panel directly to the battery. So I think I should add a controller. I plan to upgrade the batter eventually to a higher capacity lithium battery. So my questions.

Can I add an appropriate solar charge controller? Is there any way in which the Noco charger and solar controller would interfere?

Any recommendations on online resources/guides to help me figure this out?

Thanks!

Goatdog

Quick answer, no they shouldn't interfere, even if both were charging PROVIDED you do go ahead and put a charge controller between that solar panel and your batteries. The charge controller will see everything going on with the batteries and won't allow overcharging through the panels and the NOCO will basically do the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles