Help picking a GPS capable phone

BCHauler

Adventurer
I apologize in advance if this is a question that has been covered but I'm not well versed in the latest technologies and smart phones are a bit of a mystery to me. My flip phone just died and I'm in the market for a new one. In the next year I hope to launch a business that will require a smart phone capable of web browsing and email. As an aspiring explorer of rural British Columbia, I have had a hand held GPS on my wish list. My question for the knowledgeable folks here is if there are phones that combine the capability of both. What I am most curious about is whether the GPS that is available in phones requires cellular connectivity to work. Due to the mountainous terrain, much of BC doesn't have much cellular coverage. Not being a hardcore explorer but more of a neophyte, I'd love to kill two birds with one stone without too much basic compromise. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. Todd

rambrush

Adventurer
I use the EVO 4g and the GPS unit works pretty good in the backcountry. Generally use my Delorme PN 40 handheld though.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Most cell phone GPS units don't require cell service, however they will (sometimes) take longer to locate you since they are designed to use cell towers to triangulate your position to locate the satellites faster. They will lose signal faster than a standalone GPS (I can verify this through my own experience). The new Samsung Galaxy S 2 (I think that's the name) is supposed to come with a SirfStarIV GPS unit, which would give it similar capabilities to standalone GPS units.

That said, I've used my Motorola Atrix as a standalone GPS hiking outside cell service and it works surprisingly well.

One thing to consider is that a lot of mapping software (google, bing, etc) require a data connection to download maps real-time. Some software allows you to download ahead of time (preload) your maps, essential if you are outside cell range and want to use your phone.

I have an iTouch, a Blackberry, and an Atrix. I've been trying out lots and lots of 'backpacking' software on the three, and have finally settled on using the Atrix (Android) and Backcountry Navigator. I can download maps on my desktop, then load them onto the phone. I can also download the maps on my phone, but the desktop allows me to download more at a time faster (and a much bigger monitor).

My wife has an iPhone (plus my iTouch) and I have yet to find software that is as easy to use as backcountry navigator for android...mostly around the 'download on computer and load onto phone' but also, it seems that the iOS apps aren't as refined. Just my perspective...and Blackberry is pretty much useless (it's my work phone, so not a big deal for me anyway).

One huge caveat....I went on a short hike outside cell service last weekend...had my Atrix (with built-in GPS) and the iTouch (using my SPOT as GPS), and just on a 2-3 hr hike with the GPS running on the Atrix and Bluetooth running on the iTouch, I was around 50% battery at the end...even with turning the screens off. I would use my phone for short hikes, but for full-time backpacking, I'd almost rather use my Garmin 60csx (soon to be Montana :)). I do have a backup battery for my Atrix, but honestly I can't see it working for more than a 2-3 day backpack trip before the extra batteries required become an issue. I'm guessing it would be the same for an iPhone, or any other phone out there.

If I had a budget and wasn't an ultralite hiker, I'd go with a good, but basic smartphone (on contract you can get them for like $100)...and then get a used Garmin eTrex or something like that on Craigslist for around $50-75...I'd use the smartphone for day hikes, and the Garmin unit for longer trips.

(as a note, I've had success using an Energizer Energi to Go pack as backup for my Atrix...if I didn't want or have a standalone GPS, this would work well to keep my phone going and charged for a longer backpacking trip...at the expense of battery weight, of course, but a solid choice and mine work great)

BCHauler

Adventurer
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! The Samsung Galaxy S was the phone that the salesman at the store was recommending. However, he wasn't versed in the GPS, and I didn't know anything so I decided to do some research. It sounds to me like you're saying that a phone will work, but it's slower and will wear out a charge quicker than a dedicated GPS. Most of the exploring I desire to do will be vehicle based, so I assume that I'll be able to take advantage of the charging capabilities. Is the mapping software free downloads or subscription based, or ...?

Patman

Explorer
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! The Samsung Galaxy S was the phone that the salesman at the store was recommending. However, he wasn't versed in the GPS, and I didn't know anything so I decided to do some research. It sounds to me like you're saying that a phone will work, but it's slower and will wear out a charge quicker than a dedicated GPS. Most of the exploring I desire to do will be vehicle based, so I assume that I'll be able to take advantage of the charging capabilities. Is the mapping software free downloads or subscription based, or ...?

The current Galaxy S based phones in the NA market are not the same as the Galaxy S 2 currently available in Europe. I believe Samsung claims late summer early fall release for the Galaxy S 2 here. The first Gen Galaxy S does not have the SirfStarIV GPS unit. Two different beasts.

bugnout

Adventurer
If you get an Android Phone, check out "Backcountry Navigator". Great mapping application. Topo maps from a number of sources, many free, and you can download the maps in advance of your trip. No cell coverage required. I used it on a recent trip into Canyonlands Maze District. It worked flawlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier