Help Roof Top tent over bed with Motorcycle underneath Dodge 2500

Halligan

Adventurer
To be blunt, you're making this hard on yourself and expensive.

Retrax Pro XR
Add crossbars for RTT
Hitch carrier for the bike.

BTDT, pulling racks off and on is a pain in the butt. The truck is always in the wrong configuration when something fun or profitable comes up. The setup above gives you lower overall height, better fuel economy, and loading a bike UNDER the RTT is about the least fun thing I can think of after a long day of riding (not to mention if you're even slightly hurt).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I just installed the Retrax Pro XR (which accept's Yakima, Thule, and other similar accessories) on my truck. I'll be adding Yakima's OverHaul HD adjustable racks so I have some options when it comes to crossbar height.

CodyY

Explorer
I do not want to drill holes in my roof for a roof rack on my truck. As is I just fit in parking structures where I live.
I'm assuming by this statement you're parking in some kind of multi-level parking garage. So what happens when you come home late from (or need to leave early for) a trip? With the bike and RTT setup, do you have offsite parking and would have to unload the bike and ride to the house? Or leave your setup parked on the street loaded? Even more reasons to say F that.

And to the guy talking about a "local fabricator", I am the local fabricator for this type of stuff; and I'd tell anybody the same. The rack would probably cost $2500 or so to build out of quality material and I'd need the truck, the tent, the tonneau, and the bike for about a week to get it done.

Seriously, I've been trail riding and racing local enduro for 20 years or so out of the back of a truck. A tonneau and a hitch carrier is the simplest way to keep your truck versatile, your gear dry, and everything somewhat secure.

coastalcop

I found a quick and dirty pic of the outside of the setup I use to haul one bike, tent, secure storage (all my gear is in the bed), and no increased height over roofline.

Attachments

• camp one.jpg
    camp one.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 49

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Sounds like you are trying to make something very simple very complicated.

CELTnKe.jpg

I have been running an Ultimate MX hauler in the back of my truck for over a decade and recently added a second one so I can carry two bikes. I can load and unload both bikes way faster than any other carrier out there and no change to my departure angle. I load the bikes onto the UMX faster and more secure than it would take me to roll it up and secure it in a bed of my old pickup, we are talking about less than a minute from engine kill to drive away.

Don't want to throw your idea off but just some food for thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior