Help, Talk me out of it.

Dalko43

Explorer
Guess I was just looking at the relative advancements compared to the Tundra and 4Runner. Tacoma has been the only model with a complete makeover.

The Tacoma really didn't get much of a "makeover." 3.5l engine is completely different, but it really doesn't belong in a truck IMHO. Everything else about the foundation and chassis is pretty much the same with minor refinements here and there.

It's a great truck nonetheless, but the fanfare and hype it generated when it first came out wasn't really justified. I wouldn't hesitate to get either a Tacoma or a Colorado. Both are well-built and I don't think either of them are anything special when it comes to interior quality.

Last edited:

pelfreybilt

I read one thread on this... and watched a couple of videos on modifying the rails. Seems like a great mod.

I did not know there was anything on this mod, just happened to be in the right place at the right time and made it work haha

phsycle

Adventurer
The Tacoma really didn't get much of a "makeover." 3.5l engine is completely different, but it really doesn't belong in a truck IMHO. Everything else about the foundation and chassis is pretty much the same with minor refinements here and there.

It's a great truck nonetheless, but the fanfare and hype it generated when it first came out wasn't really justified. I wouldn't hesitate to get either a Tacoma or a Colorado. Both are well-built and I don't think either of them are anything special when it comes to interior quality.

I'll admit I'm not 100% in love with it. It's a good truck, but not the same feeling I got when I first purchased a 1st Gen. But nonetheless, the engine is fine. I personally think it's a great engine for the platform. It has plenty of power, and MPG is pretty good. The transmission is a little quirky, though. I know they just came out with some TSB, but mine has been doing ok, except on steeper mountain grades, where it keeps upshifting (prob for MPG). I just use S-mode to keep it in gear or turn on ECT. There are a couple of other things, like the lack of rear seat room and poor headlights. I'll be looking forward to the Ranger debut to see how it compares. Although unless there is drastic improvement compared to the Tacoma (unlikely), I won't be making the change just yet. And I'm sure it will also come with its own issues.

I did go into the dealership to test drive a 4Runner TRD a few weeks ago, as I was contemplating a swap. Lots of similarities, but with a few differences. It was surprising that it sounded more like a truck. My truck is pretty quiet and tame. Not a bad thing either way, but I guess I had just gotten accustomed to the quieter interior. Driving dynamics, they were similar, but as with previous gens, the Tacoma felt more nimble (weight) but the 4Runner rode smoother (coils, weight). I also thought the power delivery was weaker in the 4Runner, but that could've just been in my head. It seemed to run out of steam faster, especially on the freeway.

In the end, I didn't feel there was any advantage of the swap, aside from the rear seat room and those great front seats (wish I had the ability to lower my seats--my hair scrapes the top). Plus, I'd lose the bed.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I did go into the dealership to test drive a 4Runner TRD a few weeks ago, as I was contemplating a swap. Lots of similarities, but with a few differences. It was surprising that it sounded more like a truck. My truck is pretty quiet and tame. Not a bad thing either way, but I guess I had just gotten accustomed to the quieter interior. Driving dynamics, they were similar, but as with previous gens, the Tacoma felt more nimble (weight) but the 4Runner rode smoother (coils, weight). I also thought the power delivery was weaker in the 4Runner, but that could've just been in my head. It seemed to run out of steam faster, especially on the freeway.

The 4runner's 1gr-fe (4.0l v6, which was also found in earlier Tacoma's) was designed, from the ground up, as a truck engine. Max horsepower and torque are delivered somewhat lower in the RPM range as compared to the new Tacoma's 3.5l v6 (2gr-fks). The 1gr-fe also produces somewhat more torque than it does horsepower, another characteristic of truck engines.

I've driven the 3.5l v6 in other platforms. It's a good engine and very reliable. But it was designed, first and foremost, for passenger car and crossover applications. The 4.0l v6 is somewhat gutless for freeway accelerations; that's partly due to gearing (or lack thereof) and partly due to the hp/weight ratio. The Tacoma has a more powerful engine with more gearing, so naturally it will feel more responsive on the highway.

I'm not knocking the Tacoma nor the 3.5l v6, but I think Toyota took the easy way out by putting that engine into a truck.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Well...old curmudgeon die hard Toyota Truck guys flat out refuse to buy a new one...so they had to appeal to a different demographic....or they would go bankrupt.... :p

This is me to a "T;" I haven't really liked any of the Toyota pickups since they rolled out the Tacoma platform back in '95. They just don't feel the same as the '94 regular cab, manual-everything, Toyota pickup I started 4wheeling in.

I have an FJ Cruiser now and like that a lot; it's pretty close to the right balance of modern features and simplicity/utility that I like. I'd prefer to have a 4 door pickup than an SUV, but unfortunately none of the midsizes on the market appeal to me at this time.

If you don't need to buy now, I'd hold off until the Ranger launches and see how that compares, though it probably won't be discounted for a while and may not have features to match the TRD Pro or ZR2 models at launch. I had a '13 Escape as a company car for a couple years not long ago and it was nice, well put together, and reliable; Ford has come a long way in terms of build quality relative to my previous experience with them.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The 2GR-FKS is just as much of a truck engine as the 5VZ-FE was. The 1GR-FE is oversquare, which is IMO is a traditional truck engine characteristic, like the 20R (22R was close), 2TR, etc. Toyota has put that engine in a lot of trucks (so I agree it's a good engine, I like mine). The 3VZ and 5VZ were both shorter strokes. Not to mention the 3VZ was also used in cars, it was in the Camry. I don't see Toyota using the 2GR-FKS in US trucks is odd considering how the majority of buyers use them.

Clutch

<---Pass
This is me to a "T;" I haven't really liked any of the Toyota pickups since they rolled out the Tacoma platform back in '95. They just don't feel the same as the '94 regular cab, manual-everything, Toyota pickup I started 4wheeling in.

I am one of those old curmudgeons, but I have to admit the new stuff is pretty nice. While bigger, the 3rd gen Tacoma still feels like a Toyota to me..all of the controls fall naturally into my hands.

Would love to get a new one, but too cheap to buy one....

phsycle

Adventurer
The 2GR-FKS is just as much of a truck engine as the 5VZ-FE was. The 1GR-FE is oversquare, which is IMO is a traditional truck engine characteristic, like the 20R (22R was close), 2TR, etc. Toyota has put that engine in a lot of trucks (so I agree it's a good engine, I like mine). The 3VZ and 5VZ were both shorter strokes. Not to mention the 3VZ was also used in cars, it was in the Camry. I don't see Toyota using the 2GR-FKS in US trucks is odd considering how the majority of buyers use them.

Agreed. It'll continue to shift for comfort and fun, than toil and labor. Isn't that why they split from the Hilux to begin with?

And nowadays, even the definition of a "truck" or "SUV" is unclear. i.e. Subaru Forester is categorized as an SUV. Smaller than some passenger sedans, but has 9" of ground clearance and exceptional AWD. So is it more of a passenger car, stationwagon, crossover or SUV? Who knows. Won't even get started on the Ridgeline. I'll assume we'll continue to see this cross-breeding for years to come.

phsycle

Adventurer
I am one of those old curmudgeons, but I have to admit the new stuff is pretty nice. While bigger, the 3rd gen Tacoma still feels like a Toyota to me..all of the controls fall naturally into my hands.

Would love to get a new one, but too cheap to buy one....

I see the prices dropping on the '16's, but I guess still not enough to justify a used vs new. (except for the real high mileage ones).

Clutch

<---Pass
I see the prices dropping on the '16's, but I guess still not enough to justify a used vs new. (except for the real high mileage ones).

Real tired of wrenching on my old beater, I may just bite the bullet. yeah, still better off buying new right now. Then there is that should I get another Tacoma..cause for the same price you can get a 1/2 ton. Only reason I look at the Tacoma is because still available with a manual trans..at least for this year, betting it will be gone soon though. I could live with the shiftable auto though.

phsycle

Adventurer
Real tired of wrenching on my old beater, I may just bite the bullet. yeah, still better off buying new right now. Then there is that should I get another Tacoma..cause for the same price you can get a 1/2 ton. Only reason I look at the Tacoma is because still available with a manual trans..at least for this year, betting it will be gone soon though. I could live with the shiftable auto though.

Quirky auto makes me wonder if I should've gone stick. But it's pretty good 99% of the time. Although if you go auto, you may have to change your SN to torque converter or planetary gear.

Clutch

<---Pass
And nowadays, even the definition of a "truck" or "SUV" is unclear. i.e. Subaru Forester is categorized as an SUV. Smaller than some passenger sedans, but has 9" of ground clearance and exceptional AWD. So is it more of a passenger car, stationwagon, crossover or SUV? Who knows. Won't even get started on the Ridgeline. I'll assume we'll continue to see this cross-breeding for years to come.

Although it is a little odd...I do like that FT-4X concept from Toyota.

https://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/ft-4x/

I like the Subaru Forester, though they jack the price of them up here....some BS about "adjusted" market value. Seems like a good deal in the low 20s....not so much when they are pushing 30+. Might as well get a truck at that point.

https://www.teamsubaru.net/new-inventory/index.htm

Clutch

<---Pass
Quirky auto makes me wonder if I should've gone stick. But it's pretty good 99% of the time. Although if you go auto, you may have to change your SN to torque converter or planetary gear.

SN? Not sure what that stands for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles