Help, Talk me out of it.

phsycle

Adventurer
SN? Not sure what that stands for.

Screen Name. :D

Subaru's are great. I don't think I'm a fan of the CVT, though, so if I got one, it would be 6-speed. That is, until the last remaining 2018's are sold (they killed it for 2019).

Clutch

<---Pass
Screen Name. :D

Subaru's are great. I don't think I'm a fan of the CVT, though, so if I got one, it would be 6-speed. That is, until the last remaining 2018's are sold (they killed it for 2019).

Ahhhh....I might be dumb, but at least I am slow! errr....wait a minute....

Thought it had to do with some type of auto trans...I know it has been awhile, but trying to figure out what the hell is a SN part of a slush box.

SN does literally mean what it says, but also the name of one of my favorite bands.

Yeah, not crazy about the CVT...would have to be the manual...do like the dual clutch in the VW 4Motion, but they don't seem as burly underneath.

Though me buying one of those is highly unlikely anyways...already have a SUV...makes little sense to buy smaller version of it.

phsycle

Adventurer
I had a 1/2 ton before. I like them, but after driving a friend's recently, I remember how cumbersome they were. Made the Tacoma feel like a gokart.

Plus the MPG. This was just today on a 30 mile trip--90% highway. Not bad. Might have been a bit of downhill (I frequent this part of the area), but mostly flat with one big climb (a mile and maybe 5-600 ft). Normally, I see 23-24MPG, depending on how fast I'm going. And lately, about past month or so, I see these averages going up. All good by me.

Attachments

• MPG Taco.jpg
    MPG Taco.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Normally, I see 23-24MPG, depending on how fast I'm going. And lately, about past month or so, I see these averages going up. All good by me.
It's not easy to get a real sense but it sounds like people I know and trust actually do get decent mileage with the 3rd gen. Even though I don't have a desire to move up there is one thing that is a truism, the 2nd gen MPG is lousy.

Clutch

<---Pass
I had a 1/2 ton before. I like them, but after driving a friend's recently, I remember how cumbersome they were. Made the Tacoma feel like a gokart.

Yeah there is that. Don't really need a full-size...it is that whole cost comparison thing. I punch in $35,000 into cars.com and see what I can get for that. The Tacoma does cost about the same, but dunno...I am drawn more to it than the others. While I do like the F150, not sure I could buy one when it comes down to it. I do know my wife won't ket me buy anything else.

When they were in Thailand, the guy who lead the trip won't rent anything else but a Toyota. This time around all of the major companies were sold out, had to go to a small local place. The only Toyota they had left was a Fortuner with 170K on it, took that over other brands with less mileage because it was less likely to break down.

Plus the MPG. This was just today on a 30 mile trip--90% highway. Not bad. Might have been a bit of downhill (I frequent this part of the area), but mostly flat with one big climb (a mile and maybe 5-600 ft). Normally, I see 23-24MPG, depending on how fast I'm going. And lately, about past month or so, I see these averages going up. All good by me.

That is pretty good. My commute is 56 miles round trip 95% highway, with me setting the cruise at 65 mph. I should have no problem hitting those numbers. I am not into lifts or mud terrains anymore either.

phsycle

Adventurer
Oof. Yep, I get it. My truck is black. Sucker is dirty right now with the recent rain storm. Bah! It's a truck! Supposed to be grungy! :D For a lower SR trim, I do like the black or other darker colors to blend the unpainted trim pieces better with the truck. This looks so ugly to me:

87fdadd846e1ce766707248df5786165.jpg

DaveInDenver

Dark colors absorb too much heat is the problem (although keep in mind I'm still struggling with A/C being standard now). I do like that on an SR Tacoma black plastic bumpers are "color keyed" so to speak that way. But since my trucks get bumpers that white + black is what they look like anyway. Plus, I dunno, white and tan have always been what Toyota pickups look best painted to me. If the grill and chin weren't so grotesque the 3rd gen would be a nice looking truck.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, I don't like the chin. But I think a Warn semi-hidden bumper would improve the look, I think. Or does it make it look like an ugly kid with an underbite and braces?

F147972296.jpg

I wouldn't mind the black bumper if it were just the lower bumper part and not the whole piece being black. This, I don't mind:

IMG_11848.JPG

But above SR, no thanks.

I did swap my TRD OR grill for the SR, though. That's how it should have come from the factory. Way too much chrome with the stock grill.

DaveInDenver

Yeah, it's not so much the blackness of the bumper but more that there's just so much of it. The whole front end is one a huge molded piece of plastic.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeee-ahhh...trucks are supposed to be grungy. Fa sha! ....but takes white or silver longer to look like crap. The neighbor will even say, the Trooper is looking good, did you just wash it? Yeah , like 3 months ago... ;) Black it seems the minute after you wash it...it looks like crap. My vehicles live outside too.

Not crazy about the "beard" on the SR's...kinda disappears on the Mag Grey ones...don't want anything that dark again though. Mine is Imperial Jade Mica Green (boy that is a mouthful!)...the temperature difference is significant compared to our White Pooper Trooper.

115433957.jpg

Could always paint the beard or get a pull off from someone who installed a which bumper. New truck won't get a winch bumper this go around either.

My favorite color is the Blazing Blue...always had a thing for blue Toyotas...not sure why, favorite color on a 70's F250 is blue as well.

ls0917-295424_1@2x.jpg

9bf532ac05f727d7e46816cd7210ca65.jpg

ebay642455.jpg

I better not though, just realized I subconsciously ordered blue grips for my single speed...and noticed I am wearing blue Rainbow flip-flops and blue Von Zipper Fulton sunglasses while installing them.

38823917_10156631395554630_5619755786721820672_n.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, it's not so much the blackness of the bumper but more that there's just so much of it. The whole front end is one a huge molded piece of plastic.

It is...I just keep telling myself it is a '78 F250 reimagined...both have a hexagon shaped grill...the tacoma just has squintier headlights...

bd6be4fd7af1f125a51f1444568e2928.jpg

2016_Toyota_Tacoma_TRDOR_07_7206D35ACB31808A664E7A7BC7E761FDD435C886.jpg

Could always have CBI build you bumper out of aluminum and polish it to get that somewhat traditional chrome bumper look of the Ford...

CBI T3 Black.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior