Help with JK Rubicon models (from a Land Cruiser guy)

WMPhoto

Observer
WOW... lot of haters on here for the 3.8...
I've got 227,000+ miles on my 09 JK Unlimited Sport auto... It's my daily driver and weekend toy. By and far the best vehicle I've ever owned.
As with all vehicles, it is how you use it as well as how you maintain it that dictates how it will last.
I like the stark interior better than the newer model years. Easier to clean. :)

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I'm not sure where this "easier to clean and maintain" thing is coming from regarding the interiors. The new interior is just as easy to clean and uses just as much plastic, it just looks better, scratches less easily, and has cushion under some key areas. It is a simple wipe down to clean.

yep love mine too! running 315 so 34.5 or so and it does fine rubicon aauto and 4 door. almost sold it this past summer and test drove the new ones nice to be sure but if you don't get the 4:10 then there isn't a whole lot of difference in other words the 373 felt like my 08 with 410s besides that I got he limited lifetime warranty on the drive train so according to chrsyler that is 99 years yes 99. so my service guy says to me why would you trade it in? I didn't

Zeep

Adventurer
I have a 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon 6speed. Premium top, uconnect were only real options I elected.
If I had to do it all over again, I would get a hard top and automatic transmission. Uconnect rocks, and the premium top is pretty quiet, but I really only use the runrider - don't fold the whole top back very much. The 6spd manual is decent for me, but 6th gear feels like I'm going to drop it into reverse, and I much of my daily driving is a commute through the city.

I've also owned a 1986 MJ Commanche, 1993 YJ Wrangler, 1996 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 1997 TJ Wrangler Sport, 2004 TJ Wrangler Rubicon, 2005 WK Grand Cherokee (and other non-jeep 4x4s)

Avoid the 3.8 if you can, there are just too many problems to bother with the risk, IMHO. I know there are lots of people who SWEAR they've never had a problem with their 3.8, etc. but statistically, it is a terrible engine to gamble on. Auto vs manual is up to you - personally, the nostalgia isn't worth it - the auto makes for a really comfortable drive.
The consensus is that if you don't plan to get too heavy into the modification game, the Rubicon is a great platform - otherwise, go with a sport and mod away.

My rationale was to get a new one, not fuss too much with mods and add-ons, and take advantage of the latest model improvements with maximum warranty.

Let me know if you have any questions.

The early 6 speeds were known to been shipped a little low on trans fluid. When I checked mine, the level was fine, but I changed it out with Royal Purple Synchro mesh.
I have since changed it out a couple of times. The smoothness of shifting improves each time.
Something to consider!

IPA

Observer
I've never been fortunate enough to own any model Land Cruiser, but I have owned several of Toyota Trucks and a 4Runner. I loved them all. My wife will only own a Toyota and I consider us "Toyota people" even though probably my favorite vehicle was my 2005 LJR and I currently drive a 2015 JKUR.

If you don't need a lot of space or refinement and value simplicity, definitely look at the LJ's. The 4.0 motor and the entire vehicle design is dead simple and reliable and easy to work on, and parts are extremely plentiful and probably will be for a long time still. I had an LJ Rubicon with the 6-speed and loved it; I never drove an auto TJ to LJ so I can't compare. I only sold my LJR because I needed money when I started grad school a few years ago. The LJ Rubicon is probably the closest thing you can get in the US to an older LC, in terms of solid axles, simplicity, and ease of maintenance.

With the JK's, as others have said the 3.8 has a bad reputation, though I don't know if they are really as bad as many say they are. The 3.6 is lighter, more powerful, and more fuel efficient though, so I'd get a newer one if you can afford it.

Auto vs. manual is personal preference. I bought an auto when I got my JKUR because I drive in moderate to heavy traffic a fair amount. But there are lots of days I wish I had a manual. I don't think either transmission is more reliable than the other, though manuals are obviously a little cheaper / simpler to repair when the time comes.

One thing about the JK's to think about is axle gears. I had a rental 2015 JKU on vacation with (what must have been) the standard (3.43?) axles and it felt like an absolute dog compared to my JKUR. Same motor, same transmission, only difference that I am aware of is the axle gears. The 4.10 gears definitely make the JK feel a lot peppier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94