Hema vs Gaia

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have 3 versions of topos(all levels) plus all Tails Illustrated downloaded for all of Colorado and Utah on both my phone and IPad mini. My devices say that Gaia is taking 35gb of memory

gvb1940

The only difference in the two platforms is Hema has a much better national map but Gaia has many more map overlays and Gaia is supported while Hema is not.
So Gaia is the winner for me. I downloaded the nmbdr tracks to my iPad and they magically appeared on Gaia. Don’t have a clue how that happened but it sure beats trying to figure out a route.
nmbdr. Is a motorcycle track across New Mexico but supposedly wide enough for a rig. We’ll soon find out.

Jfoofighter16

I seem to have issue with gaia working effectively on my ipad mini but it works perfectly on my android Samsung Galaxy s8+ so I seem to be having opposite problem and I specifically bought the ipad to not take up space on my phone and its turned more into the tablet for movies for kids and a brick for using gaia as far as I can tell. I have same layers/setting as I have it set on my phone and cant seem to figure it out. Checked all usual settings/background apps/etc and cant get it to work well at all on ipad. I have premium subscription as well.

I have a similar situation.It work flawlessly on my iphone 11 even links tot he dash in my jeep unconnect. BUt I bought a ipadpro 10.5 and it starts to work but hten stops locating your posistion while th eiphone right next to it has no issues. Very frusting because i also bought a ram mount and wanted a big screen to view topo. I have no clue why the iphone works and the Ipad doesnot.

Rando

Explorer
Unless you have the cellular iPad, it doesn't have a GPS receiver and therefore cannot locate your position if not on Wifi.

Rando

Explorer
Just to add, Gaia works beautifully on my 13" iPad Pro with an external GPS. The extra screen makes this by far the best navigation device I have ever used.

1Louder

Explorer
I have a similar situation.It work flawlessly on my iphone 11 even links tot he dash in my jeep unconnect. BUt I bought a ipadpro 10.5 and it starts to work but hten stops locating your posistion while th eiphone right next to it has no issues. Very frusting because i also bought a ram mount and wanted a big screen to view topo. I have no clue why the iphone works and the Ipad doesnot.

Sounds like you have a wifi only iPad with no GPS.

roving1

The fact people are still avoiding Android tablets "because they don't work" to buy iOS w/o GPS is mind boggling.

Rando

Explorer
Well, I bought a nice-ish Samsung Android tablet with built in GPS specifically to run Gaia, and was sorely disappointed. I suspect the issue is with Gaia, not Android, but it did not work nearly as well as on iOS. For a while I was using my older iPhone over the tablet, even though tablet had a much better screen, because the experience was still better on iOS. The 13" iPad and Gaia is a far better experience than the Android tablet (albeit at a price).

Sounds like you have a wifi only iPad with no GPS.
The specs say it has gps. It will track for awhile but then stops. I did by itusedthrough gazelle. I think I might by a gps locator such as bad elf. I just don’t understand how the connects to the iPad I assume both have to have power. How do you hook it up?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
HEMA uses OziExplorer mapping software. You can run most maps with that so add your own, from any source.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Doahh

The fact people are still avoiding Android tablets "because they don't work" to buy iOS w/o GPS is mind boggling.
Have you used both apps? I'm going to start with I am a die-hard Android user and the Pixel is my main phone.
I have my Pixel 4XL and an iPhone 7 side by side right now and the Android version is absolutely crippled compared to the iOS one. I can't change track colors, icons, rate it, the only options I have are to name the track, or delete it. It's surprisingly easier to do a lot of things through the iOS app than it is to do it on a PC.

roving1

Have you used both apps? I'm going to start with I am a die-hard Android user and the Pixel is my main phone.
I have my Pixel 4XL and an iPhone 7 side by side right now and the Android version is absolutely crippled compared to the iOS one. I can't change track colors, icons, rate it, the only options I have are to name the track, or delete it. It's surprisingly easier to do a lot of things through the iOS app than it is to do it on a PC.

I tend to do my organising over PC or just use the browser of the phone, which I agree is stupid to have to do. For me the degree gaia is better in ios doesn't make up for all the deficits and cost of ios. I can't stand ios as a daily driver but to make any sense for me I would have to buy a used device to justify the cost. I had ios phones for work and used it there but not as much as for android.

But to pay premium money for an ios tablet because you think you have to and then wind up with something that doesn't even have GPS baked in is taking it to an extreme that makes no sense to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior