Here's something you don't see every day, SWAT Truck Project

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Speaking of post apocalyptic outback overland type rigs. I just bought this 1988 C7000 SWAT van, all aluminum rear body, interior, roof, rear doors, everything is aluminum diamond plate, has a huge onboard Honda gen set. Has 13K orig miles on a Cat diesel, department said they paid $150K for it new in 1988. Its being delivered later today, I'm dying to see and play with it in person. Ill have to go through it, new fuel, fluids and put 6 new (ouch) tires on it before I can drive it. Add an RTT, bigger off road tires, gas cans, solar, winch, grill guard, gear, gear, gear! You've got to keep the kid inside alive, lol. 516446

Fatboyz

Observer
In the thread title when I read SWAT I was thinking something else! Is yours the 88 version of this?

Attachments

• SWAT truck.png
    SWAT truck.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 63

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Special Weapons and Tactics use all kinds of different vehicles, this truck came from New Mexico. We bought 4 huge duramax covered service body trucks a while back that all came from a fleet of law enforcement SWAT rigs. Ive seen everything from RVs to busses, have owned several converted ambos that started as medical and ended up SWAT rigs. I like these older rigs, easy to work on and cheap fun. That picture above is a repurposed MRAP truck. I assume there's a joke here but I'm missing it. Here's an old school SWAT "ambo" I owned, had a 7.3 IDI suicide door had weapon racks in it, is now in an ambo museum in CA. Below that is a 4WD crime scene ambo I own, has a 6.5 diesel with 39K orig miles.

Fatboyz

Observer
The MRAP would have been a lot more fun, yes it was intended as a joke. On a serious note it will make a very nice starting platform!

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Ill get some pictures of the interior on Tuesday when I'm back down there. Is all diamond plate aluminum inside, makes for easy clean up, lithium powered leaf blower, open the doors and poof, its clean.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Took time between storms to shoot down to NM to see the SWAT truck for the first time in person. Had my 5'10" father stand in front of it to give some sense of size. Its big, not long, but man is it big! Am ordering the next size up (a full inch larger in diameter) tire with an aggressive tread. There is a big 3500 watt Honda genset inside one of the storage compartments with a 100 ft spool. The halogen scene lights on all 4 corners extend way up, lots of neat stuff. Inside ceiling is well over 6 ft tall, cabinets, desk, a couple spots big enough to convert to sleeping areas. There external storage compartments are really huge and deep, everything is all aluminum diamond plate, everywhere including the entire roof. The build quality is insane, must be nice to have tax dollars to spend on something like this.

cjken

Explorer
That thing is really cool
Short wheelbase for such a big truck. Should be pretty maneuverable.
Only thing I don’t like is no pass through to the box as far as I can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior