HF Radio During Expeditions

asteffes

Explorer
So which HF mobile transceivers are you guys using? 706? 857? 817? I'm sorta vaguely interested in upgrading to General or Extra and getting an HF mobile rig. I'm fairly bitter on Icom stuff, so the 857 looks nice to me, but I know little about what makes for a good HF radio. The UI and buttons seem very usable, but I haven't spent much time with either.

Also, what would you do for an antenna? Put up a dipole at camp? What about for mobile comms? What mobile antennas won't get destroyed off-road?

lacrits68

Observer
asteffes said:
So which HF mobile transceivers are you guys using? 706? 857? 817? I'm sorta vaguely interested in upgrading to General or Extra and getting an HF mobile rig. I'm fairly bitter on Icom stuff, so the 857 looks nice to me, but I know little about what makes for a good HF radio. The UI and buttons seem very usable, but I haven't spent much time with either.

Also, what would you do for an antenna? Put up a dipole at camp? What about for mobile comms? What mobile antennas won't get destroyed off-road?

Hi Im running 706 very happy with it on VHF, have not ried HF yet!

--J--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94