Highly capable 416-based Unimog Expedition Motorhome

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very cool looking Mog, best of luck with the sale. My financee would absolutely love this truck as well, too bad we would have to pull some $$ out of the house as well to afford it. Thanks, Andre

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Justin wrote:
Very nice! Out of curiosity what is the milage like/ range. Also the AC unit you describe going into the roof hatch with the generator. Can that be used while driving. Wife wanted to know if it had AC. Now if I could just find a place to park it!!
Can't help with the parking place, but . . . the truck carries 141 gallons of diesel, so the range is huge. Everyone quite logically wants to know the fuel economy, and I don't have a very good answer. With tanks this big, it's not like you often top them off and fuel frothing also makes accurate measurements difficult. My experience is that I probably get 10 mpg in freeway cruising. I also know that the German seller of the truck, when I asked him, gave an authoritative-sounding "20-25 liters per 100 kilometers." That's about 9.5 to 11.5 mpg, which matches my estimate. So figure a range of something over 1300 miles.

About the A/C . . . When parked, Camper Mog's roof A/C works well off shore power and, until significantly into the triple digits, it runs easily off the Honda EU2000i genset carried in the generator compartment. On the other hand, I couldn't say if the cabin roof air works when driving. Since I never had anyone riding in the cabin, I never tried it.

It'd be real close. The Coleman Polar Cub draws 1010 watts at full load and the ProSine inverter puts out a continous 1000 watts. And the 12V cabin alternator (there's also the 24V truck alternator) is, I believe, 85 amps. 1010 watts AC is roughly 8.5 amps AC which is, taking into account inefficiencies, about 85 amps DC. All in all, too close to say. Probably would work at until the temperatures got higher and the Polar Cub drew maximum power for longer periods, drawing down the batteries. (Particularly since the fridge would also draw a handful of amps at the same time.).

However, if it were important, both the alternator and inverter could be swapped out in 30 minutes with higher capacity units that would run the unit with no sweat, cheap pun intended. :) (For no good reason, except that it's easy, here's a picture of the Polar Cub and the inside control panel.)

View attachment 19023 View attachment 19025

BTW, the camper also comes with this little 2500 BTU cab air conditioner that you point at you; the cold air comes out the flexible tube and warm air goes out the back.

View attachment 19024

I expect that it'll cool the cab well, but I haven't gotten as far as deciding a good way to vent the exhaust. But that little thing will definitely run easily off the current inverter set up.

Anyway, good questions. Send any others you have.

Mike Hiscox
'77/'95 UNIMOG 416 DoKa Expedition Camper (for sale)
2005 mid/tall Sprinter 2500 Expedition Camper

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Gary wrote:
Here is a writeup from classic unimog on the truck. Lots of pix. http://classicunimogs.com/unimog_416doka_camper.html
Thanks for posting that link, Gary. Sigi and Lisa did a great job of finding this one-of-a-kind vehicle and getting it into top shape. They also get high praise for answering all of my questions; virtually all those FAQ's are from me. :)

We still correspond every year on the anniversary of Camper Mog's arrival in the U.S. in 2002, and along with all of their other clients, I enthusiastically recommend Classic Unimogs as a supplier of very high quality imported trucks.

However, don't anyone get scared off by Lisa's rustic interior pictures with the turquoise contact paper on the cabinets. Over my six years with Camper Mog, there's been a substantial amount of upgrading to both the interior and systems, so at some point be sure to reference

http://picasaweb.google.com/mhiscox01/CamperMogAssortment

to see current appearance and equipment.

Thanks, Mike

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Goodbye To A Great Vehicle

It's something like waving goodbye to a long-time friend you may not see again.

Camper Mog is now in Sutherlin, Oregon, in the hands of EuroTech Services, Inc. Many Moggers know Jim Ince, ESI's president: he is one of our top technical experts and supplies the parts for many of us. Jim's been an uberMogger for decades; back in the 70s, he was driving Mogs doing charitable work around Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, etc. He has many interesting stories of how his faithful Mogs saved his butt from all manner of potential disasters. All in all, they don't come any more qualified as a "good home."

Jim has repaired and resold an occassional Mog for many years, but he has now teamed with an extremely talented German-trained Mog craftsman and so ESI is starting to undertake restorations as a part of their business. Jim has procurred Camper Mog with the expectation of doing a thorough inspection, doing maintenance and fixing anything he sees as a problem, and possibly doing some upgrades, and then reselling her in top condition.

So the vehicle is basically still for sale, just through EuroTech Services instead of me, and with more inspection and possibly upgrading than I am qualified to do. ESI has a worldwide client base and advertises things in a wide variety of mainstream places, so they'll be a much larger pool of potential owners than just the relatively few of us on the ExPo forums.

After being posted here for nearly ten months with a cut-rate price but relatively little interest, it was a no-brainer to let her go to Jim. Still, I'm sorry that she couldn't have gone to an active ExPo member. She is a big ol' thing, but very reliable and comfortable, and the only one of her kind.

Of course, if anyone here is suffering from "non-buyer's remorse," ;) you can get in touch with Jim using the contact information on the ESI website:

http://www.UNIMOGS.com

or e-mail him at jim dot ince at gmail dot com.

Thanks for all the kind words about Camper Mog on this thread and others. She was a great vehicle and, had I not built my Sprinter camper, she would have stayed around for a long, long time.

Last edited:

MB309basket

Adventurer
Yes, I saw her recently at eurotech-services.com and wondered what had happened.

Couldn't have found a better home: someone that knows and understands the breed, and knows a huge number of potential new owners.

Good deal for both Mike and Jim, regardless of what money traded hands. Congrats to both on a deal well made.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
BUMP!!!
Today's the seventh anniversary of Camper Mog's arrival in the U.S., and she's ingloriously still stuck in storage. Go to the top post to read about her, look at the pictures and see if you haven't a place for this extremely worthy one-of-a-kind vehicle.

pattersonimages

Adventurer
And again

I cannot believe someone has not made this their new home...
If only the Canadian Dollar jumped some crazy amount again, and I could fathom the costs!
Everytime I start searching for a unimog camper, and see the shots of this.. I drool.

Someone give er a home!

Expedition Will

Camper Mog

I'd be a bit more polite about those who looked at the Camper Mog. There's a lot to weigh up especially with a max speed of SLOW. Economy down and wanting $44,000. Been for sale for two years now that should tell you something!!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'd be a bit more polite about those who looked at the Camper Mog.!
Yikes! My bad, I guess. :(

I certainly didn't intend to be impolite, Expedition Will, and one of the reasons for reintroducing the topic here on ExPo was so serious adventurers such as yourself would know Camper Mog was still available. Jim Ince and I enjoyed answering all your questions across the several months you were contemplating purchasing Camper Mog, and we were disappointed you hadn't yet had the chance to come out to inspect and drive the truck you thought was so promising. In fact, last we knew, you were still thinking about buying her. Anyway, my humble apologies for whatever I said wrong. (And I've changed the wording now.)

There's a lot to weigh up especially with a max speed of SLOW. Economy down and wanting $44,000. Been for sale for two years now that should tell you something!
Just to prevent confusion, Camper Mog is about as fast as the average 416, with a top speed of 55 mph. And the current asking price is $40K and maybe a bit less if you don't need all of the equipment. As for the fact that "the economy is down and it's been for sale for two years and that should tell me something," I'm not sure quite what it tells me, except that even in the best of times the market for weird-duck thirty-year-old one-off custom-built off-pavement motorhomes is pretty freakin' small . . . which I kinda already knew. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Esmi

Explorer
bump

Hi Mike,

How is the camper attached to the frame and to the cab? It looks like there is not much clearance between the cab and the camper for them to move independent(ly) from each other.

I sort of "get" the typical Unimog bed mounting system that allows the truck frame to flex while the bed remains rigid. Is Camper Mog similarly endowed?

Thanks, Esmi

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hi Mike,

How is the camper attached to the frame and to the cab? It looks like there is not much clearance between the cab and the camper for them to move independent(ly) from each other.
A valuable question, I think, because Camper Mog is done differently from many. Lots of campers use a flexible bellows between cab and cabin, but sometimes it's hard to keep the bellows in place and, besides, with the big passthrough on Camper Mog, the bellows would be really big and expensive. Instead, the rear of the cab and the front of the cabin each have a flange around the passthrough that extends about six inches, but the flange on the cab is a little smaller in height and width than the one on the cabin (or it could be vice-versa; can't remember for sure and it's not here to check). The smaller flange fits inside the bigger flange with enough clearance that the two can twist independently, but the gap is small enough that water can't leak in. (And there's a bit of weatherstripping involved, too.) This seems a clever approach and it's proven a trouble-free way to do it

I sort of "get" the typical Unimog bed mounting system that allows the truck frame to flex while the bed remains rigid. Is Camper Mog similarly endowed?

Thanks, Esmi
Yep, more than any other truck, a Unimog chassis is designed to flex, so if you attached anything rigid to it, there'd be problems. It's not like on, say, a Japanese cabover, where there can be a debate on when and how a pivoting subframe should be used. On a Mog, the frame will twist substantially.

Interestingly, though, and almost uniquely, Camper Mog was built from a Unimog traction head, not the full truck, so the rear frame was built by Zweiweg to the Dutch Railroad's specifications. It's not a Mog frame and it is probably not as twisty as a true Mog frame would be. Nevertheless, Camper Mog's builder mounted the cabin on a very flexy pivoting system and it has lots of independence from the frame. Enough, in fact, I've given some thought to whether to attach shock absorbers to the frame/cabin interface to remove a bit of the movement; it's that flexible. All the movement is a good thing for off-road prowess, but less good for the dishes swaying around in the upper cabinets. :)

Esmi

Explorer
His & Hers Sprinters

Mike,

I know you already have the world's coolest Sprinter, but maybe Mrs. Hiscox would accept another one plus cash to get Camper Mog out of your driveway ...

My Sprinter has a newly-installed Sportsmobile couch/bed, SMB bank of cabinets, and SMB flooring. (No water, elec, or heat systems yet). Nine seat belts, roof air, window sliders.

I am just thinking out loud here; comparing Toys I Have And Don't Use, with Toys I Want And Won't Use. Camper Mog always occupies top position in this latter group.

attachment.php

attachment.php

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It took a little while ;) but Camper Mog has been sold to a gentleman from Washington. Delivery took place over the weekend. He's already proven to be a fine owner, and he and his wife have some impressive-sounding adventures planned, including Southern Utah this summer and a return to Alaksa, which they've recently returned from after doing a multi-week Land Cruiser expedition.

Thanks to all of those who had an interest in buying this unique truck, as well as those who provided kind words about her capabilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz