Hiker / Lead Dog Trailer Owners Post Up

greenhorn

Adventurer
Not much activity in this thread yet. I had a non-offroad Hiker and quickly decided I needed something that could better keep up w/the rig. Rob in Denver is building a 5x9 Offroad for us in February. Can't wait to pick it up!

Any info on the Hiker you had? What would you say the non off-road is capable of? Typical dirt or fire roads? What did you like about the Hiker? What did you learn about the last one and are changing for the new one?

We are looking at the 6x10, but it only comes in non off-road. Hoping to order one this week, just need to figure out which one will work best.

greenhorn

Adventurer
I have put this thread on the FB page so everyone is not asking the same questions. Lots of info in this web site.

Which Facebook page is it? I tried to join the Hiker owners page to learn more about them, but was told I had to own one or have one on order.

Capercrew02

Observer
I have a 5x10 delux that is being built. Pretty heavily optioned with heavy duty axle, flipped springs, bigger tires, and so much more. I'll post once I pick it up here in a few weeks. Greenhorn, the 5x10 and I believe 6x10 also can be had in the "medium duty" range which is designed for fire roads, had upgraded frame, and a lift. More clearance etc if you wanted the bigger trailer size but still some off roaring capabilities. For off-roaring spec questions randy/lead dog is the man to talk to.

Lead Dog

Observer
I have a 5x10 delux that is being built. Pretty heavily optioned with heavy duty axle, flipped springs, bigger tires, and so much more. I'll post once I pick it up here in a few weeks. Greenhorn, the 5x10 and I believe 6x10 also can be had in the "medium duty" range which is designed for fire roads, had upgraded frame, and a lift. More clearance etc if you wanted the bigger trailer size but still some off roaring capabilities. For off-roaring spec questions randy/lead dog is the man to talk to.

Im here, sorry not recieving my notifications.. call me if you have questions. 9282zeroeighttwozerozero6.

Lead Dog

Observer
Besides getting one in LV vs CO, what is the difference? Lead Dog is a dealer or re branded Hiker

TIA

ratled

Dealer and Designer/Builder of their Off Road chassis. If your on west coast or where ever I can handle your orders.

ratled

Adventurer
Dealer and Designer/Builder of their Off Road chassis. If your on west coast or where ever I can handle your orders.
Thanks LD, I am on the other end of the state from you so you would be the closet to me. I had sent an e mail to Hiker about 3 weeks ago but haven't received a reply yet. It seems to me that there is some cross use of the intermediate and the off road light. Sometimes they seem to be two different items and sometimes not. Let's say using the 5 x 8 model, is the deluxe version as per the website http://hikertrailer.net/our-models/5ft-x-8ft-trailers/5x8-deluxe/ the off road light? I am looking for something behind the Rubicon that can go most places but be able to be secured for those time it becomes the base camp during day runs.

I really want to build one but practicality makes buying one a 50/50 probability. FWIW, I was also looking the Runways - too small at 4x 8 or too large at 6 x 8 and in FL makes it less attractive. $5K makes it attractive still though. I also looked and the Intech rv ones as well for the same reason and a little closer than FL.

As for build I really liked the builds by hamthis and rutdigger but those guys have some fab skills I don't.

BTW this project will be delayed for little bit as I just got a new Rubi last week. Need to get that squared away first and "age it a bit" so the trailer doesn't become my primary residence. I would say the ETA on this is now about 9 months out..........

But I will still be following through on this and appreciate any info you can pass along

Thanks

ratled

paddlequest

Adventurer
I am seriously thinking about putting my down payment on one of these...they look amazing to me. I am a little gunshy as I had a horrible experience with another offroad teardrop I bought from another builder. I would love to hear from anyone that has had a Lead Dog for a while to hear on build quality and durabilty/ longevity.

Thanks

T-Rey1

Adventurer
I am seriously thinking about putting my down payment on one of these...they look amazing to me. I am a little gunshy as I had a horrible experience with another offroad teardrop I bought from another builder. I would love to hear from anyone that has had a Lead Dog for a while to hear on build quality and durabilty/ longevity.

Thanks

Had mine over 1 year now and it has never given me any issues. Build quality is excellent as mine has been through some pretty rough trails and dirt roads.

paddlequest

Adventurer
Thanks T-Rey1! Nice to hear from someone with first hand knowledge. I am building up my courage to put the down payment...its a big purchase but I have been so impressed with Randy's responsiveness to my million questions. I see a new off road model in my future!

paddlequest

Adventurer
Hey Sikocycles,
Thanks for sharing those great shots. I am a long way from CT unfortunately...currently based in El Salvador and Nicaragua. Will make an awesome roadtrip when I come up to collect mine. I am thinking the 5x9 model Off Road. Thats a sweet looking set up you have there! Thanks again

elistwrt

Observer
Hey everybody! Glad to see everyone is liking their Hikers. I'm going to be heading up to Hiker Indiana this coming week to meet with Wes and get my 5x8 Off Road build started. Can't wait to take deliver. What lead times can I expect? (Edited)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmoo

78470029fa467f244b8a3657a831b23c.jpg

took mine out to moab for a week. It was perfect. Not having to pack up a tent is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier